Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The reason SG-1 fans are enjoying Atlantis more - answers RIGHT here.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason SG-1 fans are enjoying Atlantis more - answers RIGHT here.

Sheppard=O'neil
    Ronan=Teal'c
    McCay=Carter
    Teyla=Daniel (sorry, Daniel!)

A lot of people can't take change and like the status quo. Sure, Atlantis is not EXACTLY like SG-1, but the team dynamics are... Sheppard throws out the one liners, Ronan can fight and kill really well, McCay tosses out technobabble, and Teyla knows more about alien cultures then the people from Earth.

Most SG-1 fans miss O'Neill and I believe that they look to Sheppard for that slew of 1 liners.

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    Sheppard=O'neil
    Ronan=Teal'c
    McCay=Carter

A lot of people can't take change and like the status quo. Sure, Atlantis is not EXACTLY like SG-1, but the team dynamics are... Sheppard throws out the one liners, Ronan can fight and kill really well, McCay tosses out technobabble, and Teyla knows more about alien cultures then the people from Earth.

Most SG-1 fans miss O'Neill and I believe that they look to Sheppard for that slew of 1 liners.
    LMAO...Well I'm a SG1 fan and I can't abide SGA. I can see where you're coming from with the dynamic thing though, I've often thought it meself....but Shep ain't no O'Neil, not by a long shot....poor man's substitute (IMO).

Comment

I'm a huge SG-1 fan, and I'm enjoying both emensely. The changes made in SG-1 aren't bothering me too much, mainly because I'm liking what I've seen so far. As far as Atlantis goes, I think it will only get better.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm enjoying Atlantis more because we don't know anything about the Ori yet. I'm sure they will soom grow on us like the goa'uld and the wraith!
        oh and I have no one to ship in SG-1 anymore. Sure Sam might be with Jack now as certain lines in Ex Deus Machina indicate, but for now I don't see it... so we'll see...

Comment

Erised, maybe we'll soon be able to support the Cam/Lam ship. What do ya think?
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I'm enjoying both shows, and I would be horrified if SGA just repeated the dynamic of the SG-1, especially since they have more characters.

I value both shows for their seperate virtues, and it shouldn't be about comparison or SGA wouldn't survive in my opinion. SGA is a good show, but it needs time to develop the character interactions of SG-1. Personally, I'm not sold on Ronon yet, but I've never disliked Teal'c.

Just my thoughts.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              Erised, maybe we'll soon be able to support the Cam/Lam ship. What do ya think?
              hey yea I forgot about that! lol. They haven't grown on me yet, but I'm sure they will! lol.
              I was also thinking.. Vala/Daniel! Their conversations are priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
                hey yea I forgot about that! lol. They haven't grown on me yet, but I'm sure they will! lol.
                Yep, just got to give 'em time. I hope a lot of people will be sold on our new cast members by season's end.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I wouldn't quite peg the dynamic as the same. Carter and McKay may spout the techno jargon, but they're incredibly different personality and team dynamic wise. As far as Teal'c/Ronan and Teyla/Daniel... I actually found Teyla and Teal'c to be more along the same thing. They're the source of knowledge of this new world beyond earth early on in the series. While Ronan has similar physical talents, his character is nothing like Teal'c.

Personally I'm a big fan of both shows.
                  Atlantis - I'm really looking forward to learning more about the city and the Ancients... the history behind it all, etc.
                  SG1 - The Ori are just plain bad ass. I was a bit skeptical of seeing BB/CB together on another Sci-Fi show, but I pleased my skepticism didn't come to fruition. I'm really looking forward to learning more about the Ori, and seeing more BB/CB... loved them in Farscape, loving them in Stargate.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this season, and the upcoming seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma
                    I'm enjoying both shows, and I would be horrified if SGA just repeated the dynamic of the SG-1, especially since they have more characters.

I value both shows for their seperate virtues, and it shouldn't be about comparison or SGA wouldn't survive in my opinion. SGA is a good show, but it needs time to develop the character interactions of SG-1. Personally, I'm not sold on Ronon yet, but I've never disliked Teal'c.

Just my thoughts.
                    I agree.

Comment

Sheppard=O'neil
                      Ronan=Teal'c
                      McCay=Carter

Completly wrong IMO. It´s true I like Atlantis more than SG 1 now, and it has to do with the team dynamic. But not because it´s repeating the one of SG 1 (what it NOT does, the characters ARE different and especially the connection between Teyla and Daniel is laughable, if you really must compare anything with something else than I would say that Teyla is a mix between Teal´c, Sam and movie Sha´re, but on this way yuo could describe any character from all TV shows as a combination between older characters from other shows. And if I want I could call John Crichton a modernisized Buck Rogers and Aryn Sun a space-Xena).

It´s for me because the Atlantis characters still seem to care for each other, because they seem still curious compared to the bored cynismn of SG 1 now (okay Mitchell isn´t bored- he is childish) and because I like the stories better.

BUT I`M START TO GET ANGRY ABOUT THIS ENDLESS : "PEOPLE CAN`T STAND CHANGE" TALK!!!!

If someone decides to watch a TV show it´s because this show has something that they enjoy. If this show now get rid of this elements it´s locigal that viewers which liked this special element of the show no longer enjoy it as much as before (and it has nothing to do with what they like). This is just a sign that they have an opinion of their own. IMO a good thing.

And don´t tell me the new fans are so different. What is with all the Scapers who suddenly turned into
                      Stargate fans after BB and CB were added to the cast? Why were they no Stargate fans the show BEFORE their stars appeared? The answere is easy - it´s because before that the show had nothing they enjoyed. So were is the difference?
                      Last edited by Kirara; 10 December 2005, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Sheppard=O'neil
                        Ronan=Teal'c
                        McCay=Carter

I'm enjoying atlantis because... uh well. Its so damned good Oh wait so is SG-1 . I'm enjoying both just as much.

Comment

Sheppard=O'neil
                          Ronan=Teal'c
                          McCay=Carter

uhm, no. this SG-1 fan isn't enjoying Atlantis more, but equally. i see them as two different shows, but aspects of the same universe.

i like Atlantis because it's not SG-1. that would be boring to me. and i have no problems whatsoever with the current season of SG-1. i think they've handled the transitions brilliantly.

i like Atlantis precisely because i don't see it as having the same team dynamic, the insular quality of that dynamic that is thematically different in SG-1, and i like SG-1 precisely because it does.

as to your character comparisons, i completely disagree and find them totally reductive.

are Sheppard and O'neill similar? sure, but they aren't the same. is Ronon the alien and bigguywarrior? yup. but he's SO not T'ealc. the backstories of those 4, and their character motivations are totally different. McKay is nothing whatsoEVER like Carter. they just both happen to have big brains, but she is a soldier and makes no bones about it. and Teyla is Daniel? that's just insulting to both. Teyla is a diplomat and leader, with years of honed warrier skills to back it up. Daniel abhors violence until pushed to it. he's an explorer, a learner and teacher with a child's exuberance for more.

the only thing i see those teams having in common is their number.
                          Last edited by Shep; 10 December 2005, 02:28 AM.

Comment

exactky as i feel, the only reason i prefer SGA is because there is more ship combt and its an ancient city, sg1 has the team and the plots though.vala + orii + daniel = great ronan + atlantis + wraith = oh no!
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

Well I'm a SG1 fan and I can't abide SGA
                              Ditto. Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say can't abide - I don't have any feelings for SGA at all. It bores me rigid and I don't often let it enter my thoughts to care about it at any level.

Ahem...could we have 'some' inserted into the thread title? Clearly - as always - assuming that everyone feels the same way about something is a pretty big mistake.

Albion
                              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X