This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surviving Battlestars

Hi - I was just wondering is it possible were going to run into anymore Battlestars? If there were 120, then maybe more than 2 survive, I know the series is KINDA following the orginal, but is there a possibility do you think?

Blitz x
    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Originally posted by Blitz
    Hi - I was just wondering is it possible were going to run into anymore Battlestars? If there were 120, then maybe more than 2 survive, I know the series is KINDA following the orginal, but is there a possibility do you think?

Blitz x
    I'm doubt they'll run into more. Maybe more civilians though.

Also, everyone has got it in their heads that there were 120 Battlestars, but we don't know that for sure. All Starbuck said is "That's a quarter of the fleet". The fleet is composed of ships other than Battlerstars, Admiral Cain made that clear in "Pegasus". All we know is that at least 32 of the 120 ships in the fleet are Battlestars.

Comment

i don't think they're going to run into any more battlestars, but civilianhips who knows?

it would be interesting if a higher ranking member of the cabinet was still alive and should be the actual president of the colonies. or some other dillema's along those lines.

after all cain did have a civilian fleet with her at some point. so there def. could be a lot more ships out there.

Comment

Originally posted by scifi maniac
        i don't think they're going to run into any more battlestars, but civilianhips who knows?

it would be interesting if a higher ranking member of the cabinet was still alive and should be the actual president of the colonies. or some other dillema's along those lines.

after all cain did have a civilian fleet with her at some point. so there def. could be a lot more ships out there.
        Hello: I agree that there probably won't be anymore Battlestars. The Cylon Virus attacked the computer network in EACH Battlestar & my understanding is they were shut down & the Cylons destroyed them.

I don't understand how the Pegasus survived the Cylon virus, unless the refitting they were undergoing they had'nt upgraded to Baltars program [with SIX's virus] yet.

That would be neat re: a higher ranking cabinet member. Did'nt the pilot of [now] Colonial #1 key in her ID number & she was the ONLY suriving member?
        Maybe under Colonial law there is a time limit? The other person has no more valid claim on the office? MY take on the scence was that no one else had responded. We did'nt see/hear what was on the print out the pilot gave her.

In closing, I'm fairly sure there won't be anymore Battlestars, but what about OTHER Colonial Defence Force ships? Maybe they were on deep space patrol OR on long range missions??

Comment

Originally posted by USA1290
          Hello: I agree that there probably won't be anymore Battlestars. The Cylon Virus attacked the computer network in EACH Battlestar & my understanding is they were shut down & the Cylons destroyed them.

I don't understand how the Pegasus survived the Cylon virus, unless the refitting they were undergoing they had'nt upgraded to Baltars program [with SIX's virus] yet.
          First Paragraph: Galactica would of survived the virus because it wasnt networked...I'm pretty sure Galacitca cant of been the LAST of the originals, or the only non-networked Battlestar...I dunno.

Second: Balters program is virus contaminated, but through Balter Six/Cylons worked out how to get in, give it a virus which spread through the networked computers. Pegasus from what I got was being retrofitted or something so their computers were down so the virus didnt get in. OR Balters program wasnt installed yet allowing the cylons to get in. (Think of the B/stars as Vipers, new ones crap, old ones good )

Finding anything would be welcoming really...I doubt it as were so out of twelve colony space..only reason we found/Pegasus found us was becuase it was following Cylons...who were following us.

And I agree, another cabinet member, higher ranking than Roslin just appearing would be funny....is he/she a cylon who just happened to appear? *conspiracy people in the fleet would have a field trip :-P*

Blitz
          Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Batlar made a comment in the mini to Six about the new network mainframe working at 95% within the fleet. A lot of that five percent could have been destroyed in open battle anyway, but it always leaves possibilities.
            Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

yes she had to enter her code but that she was the only one who responded doesn't automatically mean she was the only survivor.

it could mean that she was the only one at that time who could enter her code because the others were either dead OR just not able to respond at that time. there could be a ship with a higher ranking cabinet member on who just made a blind jump to where ever like the pegasus. or that member could have been in a coma or there might still be one or two alive on caprica but not been able to respond at that time. i mean that blanders euh i mean anders guy survived and that's on caprica alone.

there are other colonies out there as well who have some survivors i'm sure?

Comment

Originally posted by scifi maniac
                yes she had to enter her code but that she was the only one who responded doesn't automatically mean she was the only survivor.

it could mean that she was the only one at that time who could enter her code because the others were either dead OR just not able to respond at that time. there could be a ship with a higher ranking cabinet member on who just made a blind jump to where ever like the pegasus. or that member could have been in a coma or there might still be one or two alive on caprica but not been able to respond at that time. i mean that blanders euh i mean anders guy survived and that's on caprica alone.

there are other colonies out there as well who have some survivors i'm sure?
                Hello: I see your point. I still would like to know what was on the note the pilot gave Roslin. I just have a feeling she was on the trip to decomission BSG & President Adar called a meeting of the Cabinet for whatever reason while she was gone.

Prehaps there was a Colonial NORAD & that was were the note came from.
                They told her that the Colonial White House was nuked with no suriviors. If there are surviving Cabinet members of higher rank, its too late now, BSG & TRTF are getting further & further away from Colonial space. If their on Caprica or one of the other Colonies they'll die when the anti-rad medication runs out or if thier in a bunker they'll have to come out when they run out of supplies & probably be executed by the Cylons.
                There is a chance that there may be other Cabinet members on a ship that fled & jumped. We'll just have to wait & see.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                  I'm doubt they'll run into more. Maybe more civilians though.

Also, everyone has got it in their heads that there were 120 Battlestars, but we don't know that for sure. All Starbuck said is "That's a quarter of the fleet". The fleet is composed of ships other than Battlerstars, Admiral Cain made that clear in "Pegasus". All we know is that at least 32 of the 120 ships in the fleet are Battlestars.
                  Can you qoute Admiral Cain please?
                  It is my understanding that Battlegroups make up Fleets.
                  Like here on Earth, in the Navy, there is the Atlantic Fleet & etc.
                  I taped Pegasus but have since taped over it. I'm drawing a blank.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Batlar can't be the only Computer Science to make a firewall or virus to attack the Cylon's. I'm sure there are 2 more ships left but they have either ran out of fule or have a small number of crew left by now. I also think the real President is still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by USA1290
                      Can you qoute Admiral Cain please?
                      It is my understanding that Battlegroups make up Fleets.
                      Like here on Earth, in the Navy, there is the Atlantic Fleet & etc.
                      I taped Pegasus but have since taped over it. I'm drawing a blank.
                      Thanks.
                      "Five ships, two of them battlestars" that's what she said when discussing the nukes hitting the shipyards, which implies there were other ships there (granted they could have been cargo ships or something, but given that we know there are BSG's, it seems more likely that they are fleet ships).

Also I understand what you're saying about fleets here on Earth, but from what we have heard in the Galactica universe, it seems that "Fleet" (unless its the RTF) is referring to all of the Colonial space forces (such as Colonial Fleet Headquarters, Colonial Fleet Shipyards, etc) in the same way we would refer to Navy Headquarters, Naval Shipyards, etc. So I think Fleet is the entire military force, similar to Navy or Air Force, not a subdivision based on region.

Comment

120 Battlestars doesnt seem a bit much at all.

That means youll need 240,000 people for the BattleStars themselves. Then lets assume there are other ships in Battle groups. Say Frigates, Cruisers, and Destroyers. Each with 400, 800, and 600 crew respectively (as they are much smaller than the Battlestars). Lets say there are 3 cruisers, 4 destroyers, and 6 frigates per Battlestar. This means 288,000 on the cruisers, 288,000 on the destroyers, and 288,000 on frigates. Thats spread over 1,560 warships. (FTL capable)

This means on warships alone you have 1,104,000 crew. What about support vessels? Light Patrol ships? Colonial Marine Corps? lets add another 250,000 for all that. One more assumption: Colonies have self defense forces akin to the National Gaurd, (But i wont discuss that too much. Assume its 1 or 2 million per colony, and under control of that colony, unless there is a major war. Also, the war was fought and lost too fast for them to have mobilized effectively.)

This means the Colonial Space Military organization in this respect has 1,354,000 people. Heck, thats not alot at all. The US military alone has over a million in uniform...

Lets assume the population of the colonies all in all is... 24 Billion? 1 to 3 billion per colony... This means .012% of the total populace is in uniform and in space.

Lots of assumptions though... But if Battlestars normally in service had Battlestar Groups, and those were totally lost, then 1/4 of the fleet could be reasonable...

Also, the CNP program, the one Baltar made was in 95% of the fleet (1,560 ships) i think. This means only 78 ships could fight effectively. But then again, it was a sneak attack, so lets assume half those were taken by suprise and that leaves 39 capital warships in the fight. Spread out over 12 colonies.

This can easily be handles by a few Cylon Basestars. Which i think were in less of a number than most people think. (IE, There may be only 20 or 30 Basestars) And thats why they needed the CNP program backdoor.

Why 20 or 30 BaseStars? Simple: with 10 or 15 hitting 2 colonies at once, they can disable the vessels there and easily mop up with nukes. When the job was done, 1 to 3 Basestars stayed behind to clean up. The rest jumped to the other colonies wiping them out systematically. FTL-Raiders aid the job as they can go after civilian vessels with nukes.

Conclusion from assumptions:
                        1. The Cylons planned to rely heavily on BaseStars and raiders, as well as FTL and missiles.
                        2. The Cylons did not have the numbers to compete with the combined resources of 12 Colony worlds. This results in the need for the CNP backdoor to make the job easier. 78 ships are easier to take out than over 1000.
                        3. Of those 78 ships, there were Battlestars.
                        Spoiler:
                        1 Galactica, 1 Pegasus confirmed.

4. Cylons used decapitation strikes to cut the head off the Colonial military and in turn use confusion to their advantage. Heck, maybe a few were done using
                        Spoiler:
                        Cylon agents to kill commanders and such

Like i said, lots of assumptions. But a perfectly reasonable layout of Colonial military structure, and how the Cylons defeated it.
                        Last edited by skrip00; 13 December 2005, 09:02 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=walterIsTheMan]
                          Also I understand what you're saying about fleets here on Earth, but from what we have heard in the Galactica universe, it seems that "Fleet" (unless its the RTF) is referring to all of the Colonial space forces (such as Colonial Fleet Headquarters, Colonial Fleet Shipyards, etc)..."

I'm not sure where you got that Colonial wording from. The following is what I based my previous post on.
                          Remember Adama recived the message re: the Cylon attack from Admiral Nagalia who was @ Picon Fleet headquarters.

Cain said the Pegasus was attacked at the Scorpian Fleet Shipyards

See, my point? Picon-Pacific Scorpian-Atlantic. To me, different names=different divisions.

Can you reference where you heard Colonial Fleet HQ at? I'm sure they had a main HQ like the US has the Pentagon. I do not remember hearing it mentioned. I may be wrong. [Happened before]
                          Thanks,
                          Stephen
                          Last edited by USA1290; 13 December 2005, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Fleet HQ was at Picon. It was mentioned in the mini.

Comment

Originally posted by skrip00
                              Fleet HQ was at Picon. It was mentioned in the mini.
                              Did I misqoute Adama? I swear, I remember him talking re: Picon Fleet headquarters, not Colonial Fleet HQ, which I would think would be headquarted on Caprica, the capital planet. NOW, this is how my brain works [sometimes]
                              Battlegroups 1-2-3=A Fleet
                              Battlegroups4-5-6-=B Fleet & etc.

A Fleet-B Fleet-C Fleet & etc make up the Colonial Fleet [Space Navy, so to speak]

Am I wrong in this? Is this topic covered in the new book "The Official Companion"? Does anyone reading this have a copy? Please chek if so.

Thanks,
                              Stephen

Comment

Working...
                              X