This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nature of the 12 Colonies

It occurred to me some of the possible backstory regarding the 12 colonies. I believe it is generally agreed that all 12 colonies are in one system (although I'm not convinced of that). But let's assume that for the moment. It may be possible for 12 habitable worlds to exist in one system -- more likely is that some of the colonies were built/sculpted/terraformed. This may help lead to explanation of why some colonies are obviously thought of more highly that others. Perhaps Caprica is the one single habitable world. The other colonies are less than M class.

We Earthlings discuss that in the future we would have colonies on Mars, the Moon, perhaps even Europa. I think its reasonable that Colonial civilization may have done the same. Caprica (the first sign of the zodiac) would be "world Alpha." Thought of very highly, the most populous, site of museums with the most treasured artifacts, etc. Then the Aquarians have a colony up on the moon or something. Maybe, over a thousand years or so they terraform the world. Or maybe they have catacombed the whole moon and live in tunnels. So over time some worlds are very nice places to live and some are more utilitarian. Perhaps the outer colonies were set up originally to send resources back to the bigger worlds. The outer colonies have jobs like mining asteroids, scooping hydrogen from gas giants, maybe one close to the star houses massive solar collectors. Each colony has a function depending on its location. Then some of the more "work oriented" colonies start to resent some of the more "home like" worlds.

Well, I could go on but you get the idea. Of course, now that I have flesched it out a bit it sounds like I should write it up as my own fan-fic novella.

Your thoughts????
    Freedom is Slavery. Spending is Stimulus. Hope is Change

Originally posted by madk99
    I believe it is generally agreed that all 12 colonies are in one system (although I'm not convinced of that).

Your thoughts????
    Curious, I like the idea that some of the colonies could have been moons, but I think it's been said that there were twelve worlds, but that doesn't rule out that they could have moonbases, and asteroid mines,too.

Of note, though, is the name on all the cruisers, space parks, and luxury liners: Intersun. This infers that the colonists made jumps between star systems, which increases the possibility that the colonies were not all part of the same system.

Comment

i wouldn't assume that the colonies share the same star system.

in fact, what's been shown so far they are quite distant from each other (remember home pt. 2 when they get "the map").

Comment

Originally posted by userfriendly

in fact, what's been shown so far they are quite distant from each other (remember home pt. 2 when they get "the map").
        The map wasn't meant to be taken literally. IIRC, it was discussed in depth in the Home, part II thread.

Comment

Those constellations weren't the actual colonies, the constellations were the symbols of the colonies, and hence, their (the 13th colony's) metaphorical brothers in the sky.

Comment

Yes, but the map refers to the fact that "they looked up and say their brothers images in the stars." (I paraphrase). I take that to mean that they saw the images of the original standards. I think we all agree that there is no possibility that each colony actually resides in the constellation bearing its name. It has been discussed in other threads and for many reasons it is ridiculous. It is more likely anyone who wants to could invent the shapes seen in the stars. If you really want to see a lion or an archer in a few individual points -- you will have no problem devising that picture. This does not preclude that the map (HOME II) does not provide actual relative star positions.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with this either. If all worlds are in one system then why have many FTL equipped ships at all. However, we may have just few systems with several colonies each.

Comment

Originally posted by MASON
                Curious, I like the idea that some of the colonies could have been moons, but I think it's been said that there were twelve worlds, but that doesn't rule out that they could have moonbases, and asteroid mines,too.
                I don't think those count as the Colonies because we have heard of a few in the show (i.e., Triton, where "Sharon" claimed to be from) that aren't Colonies. They are probably just like territories or commonwealths that fall under the jurisdiction of a Colony (like Puerto Rico is to the United States).

It is also possible that some of the Colonies are actually M-Class (hehe) moons orbiting a gas giant or something. That would allow a large number of habitable worlds to exist within the habitable zone of a single star system.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                  I don't think those count as the Colonies because we have heard of a few in the show (i.e., Triton, where "Sharon" claimed to be from) that aren't Colonies. They are probably just like territories or commonwealths that fall under the jurisdiction of a Colony (like Puerto Rico is to the United States).

It is also possible that some of the Colonies are actually M-Class (hehe) moons orbiting a gas giant or something. That would allow a large number of habitable worlds to exist within the habitable zone of a single star system.
                  I meant that the moon bases and asteroid mines could be territories acquired by private organizations or governments, not colonies in and of themselves. I think it's a pretty cool idea too, madk99 could develop a whole story around trading and acquistion of natural resources. All of a sudden you're looking at stories that have more akin with the spice mining, Ixian robots and computers, and the Tlelaxian changelings of D U N E than BSG. But very interesting, nonetheless.
                  Good writers borrow, great writers steal.

Comment

Just because she gave a name that doesn't fit our preconcieved notion of the definition of a colony, that doesn't doesn't discount my ideas. It is possible that Triton is an island or a continent on Caprica. Or maybe some small level colonies fall under larger jurisdictions as you suggest, in addition to my idea of larger out-world colonies having colonial sovreignty.
                    Quite unlikely from what we know about planetary science. It's unlikely that a small moon would retain atmosphere (Kind of like when coffee houses all became Starbucks) .
                    However, we do have control of artificial gravity in BSG universe. Could we envelop a small planetoid with one g and infuse an atmosphere? Just one more step of the terraforming.

BTW, I was hesitant to use the word "terraform" due to its obvious Earth reference. But "coloform" was even worse connotations!!

Comment

Originally posted by MASON
                      All of a sudden you're looking at stories that have more akin with the spice mining, Ixian robots and computers, and the Tlelaxian changelings of D U N E than BSG. But very interesting, nonetheless.
                      Maybe I'll let these ideas brew up in the axlotl tanks for awhile and see what develops.

Comment

ok ok, i stand corrected the map constellation doesn't correspond with the actual locations of the colonies (would be contradictious anyway because how would they know where to colonize a planet fitting that map if they haven't been on earth...)

If all worlds are in one system then why have many FTL equipped ships at all. However, we may have just few systems with several colonies each.
                        that's imho the best argument against "all colonies share one system". maybe two or even three colonies share a system, but the "intersun"-thing and the wide-spread use of FTL drives suggests more than one system for the twelve colonies.

Comment

Maybe I'll let these ideas brew up in the axlotl tanks for awhile and see what develops.
                          Speaking of axlotl tanks, didn't the human ovarian related experiments, Starbuck discovered in The Farm, remind you of axlotl tanks?

It would be scary to note all the similarities in between the D U N E universe and the reimagined Galactica universe. RDM originally wanted ZOIC, the studio responsible for all the snazzy visual effects, to design a fold-space sequence in place of what we see as the FTL 'jump'.

Hey, on a side note, the original LOKs could have been like Guild pilots, each guiding a vessel to world for colonization.

Comment

Quite unlikely from what we know about planetary science. It's unlikely that a small moon would retain atmosphere (Kind of like when coffee houses all became Starbucks) .
                            On the contrary, there's no reason to suggest that Earth-size moons could not orbit large enough gas giants. In fact, this has been the subject of a lot of speculation regarding extra-solar planets, since we have only discovered large gas giants so far.
                            http://www.ibiblio.org/astrobiology/...ge=interview13

Comment

BTW, I was hesitant to use the word "terraform" due to its obvious Earth reference. But "coloform" was even worse connotations!!
                              <random guy to girlfriend> "Honey, can you come here and smell this?... A Kobolian colony landed in the milk, and I think they released some bad culture into it." (a disaster of "galactic" proportions )

We could create a neologism: Koboliform
                              Last edited by MASON; 08 December 2005, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X