Serenity 2 - Straight to DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serenity 2 - Straight to DVD?

If I were a betting man, I’d say the sequel to “Serenity” will most likely be direct-to-DVD. But, if I were a man of faith, I’d also be collapsing on my knees, bringing the hands together and praying to the high heavens that we get (at least) one more cinema excursion of the crew.

Whatever-will-be-will-be I guess – and as Whedon says, nothing will be decided until the monkeys tally up the returns from the forthcoming “Serenity” DVD – but regardless, Whedon has some ideas for the sequel.

Though he didn’t go into specifics, Whedon tells moviesonline.ca that there’s a couple of characters he’d like to revisit : Jubal Early, the bounty hunter in the final episode of “Firefly”, and Shepherd Book, who only had a small part in “Serenity”.

Whedon says that Early’s still around (“I know he survived”) and that he’s keen to use the character again because “I love that character”.

He says he might also “one day tell” Book’s back-story.

So is the big man disappointed that “Serenity” didn’t set alight the box office? “It wasn't a horrible bomb. Yes it did struggle. It's a question of how do you market a film that doesn't have any stars. Or a film that's just not one thing, that is generally diverse. Ultimately, I'm enormously surprised that people came out and saw it. That's what matters”.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/200512...erenity_2.html
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

No, it won't go straight to DVD. So far the box office has been used to make back almost the entire production cost, and the profits will come from DVD sales. And considering how people lapped up the Firefly DVDs, and how many people will be getting Serenity as a Christmas present, I'd say its a fair bet that the movie will make enough to warrant a sequel - and a big-screen sequel at that.
    Last edited by White Knight; 05 December 2005, 12:56 PM.

Comment

-drumsfingers over each other- Excellent....[/Mr Burns voice]
      I sure do hope we get a sequel...I wanna learn about Books' past dammit! -dances around in circles-

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

I wouldn't be that bothered with straight-to-dvds since Whedon has proved how excellent he is, I can see some of those being good.
        sigpic

Comment

No one's doubting the quality of future movies. However, once the DVDs come out, guerilla marketing will cause the popularity of the franchise to soar, the way that the number of Browncoats increased exponentially once the Firefly DVDs were released. So when Serenity 2 comes out at the cinemas, there will be an enormous fanbase - much, much larger than the current one - who will go and see it, and there will be a large group of people who will think "Hmm, the first one was really good, I'll go and see this one too."
          Last edited by White Knight; 06 December 2005, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard

Though he didn’t go into specifics, Whedon tells moviesonline.ca that there’s a couple of characters he’d like to revisit : Jubal Early, the bounty hunter in the final episode of “Firefly”, and Shepherd Book, who only had a small part in “Serenity”.

Whedon says that Early’s still around (“I know he survived”) and that he’s keen to use the character again because “I love that character”.
            Early!! Finally, we can expect to hear some more about that Pyromaniac Midget he tangled with. *Waits expentantly*
            Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
            Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
            Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
            - Serenity

Comment

Well, Whedon will be occupied with the new Wonder Woman live action movie. He might also do a movie about Spike from Buffy or something along that line. So it might be awhile (couple of years at least) until a new Firefly movie, unless Joss Whedon just write the script and let someone else do it with a lower production cost for a straight to DVD sequel.
              I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
                Well, Whedon will be occupied with the new Wonder Woman live action movie. He might also do a movie about Spike from Buffy or something along that line. So it might be awhile (couple of years at least) until a new Firefly movie, unless Joss Whedon just write the script and let someone else do it with a lower production cost for a straight to DVD sequel.
                I've heard some rumours about this. Supposedly, while Joss is doing Wonder Woman, Goners and the Spike telemovie, he will co-write the script for Serenity 2 with Tim Minear and Tim will direct. I think this would be great, considering that Out of Gas - widely considered to be the best Firefly episode - was directed (and I think written, but someone will have to check that for me) by Tim. However, its only rumour.

Comment

I widely consider Out of Gas to be the best Firefly episode, so I'd be happy with a Tim directed movie.

Comment

I'd be very happy with a Tim-directed movie as well, and I'm sure that most of the Browncoats would be happy as well.

Comment

Cos when we can't have Joss, we'll have Tim.

Comment

Tim Minear will be doing the Spike movie.

Comment

Is the Spike movie a goer, then?

Comment

I wouldn't mind a film from either of them, DVD or cinema one. I'd just be happy with more excellent quality FF stuff.
                            sigpic

Comment

Direct to DVD's not a bad choice, It seem they would be more free to express themselves
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                              X