What do you think of Jar-Jar Binks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nem2k
    we started episode 1 with anakin being an innocent child and we end in 3 with him consumed by hatred and evil
    I thought that was another major flaw. Anakin started out as a slave, not an innocent child. Had they actually depicted anything close to slavery, it would've significantly added to Vader's coolness-

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
      Han shot first and Boba Fett was not a bloody clone.
      Amen.

Comment

I don't really like the character of Jar Jar, it was made for the five year old kids. It is partly because of this character that i regard this film as a failure.
        This is not an island...

Comment

I watched it this afternoon and all i can say is...
          Am i the only Star Wars fan who LIKES Jar Jar?
          Yes.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I liked jar jar alot, but everyone else I know doesn't.

Comment

Jar Jar was terrible.
              It was the worst form of comic-relief possible.
              His speech was annoying. His attitude was annoying.

And, if you'll recall Jar Jar is actually responsible for the formation of the Empire.
              That's reason enough to hate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                And, if you'll recall Jar Jar is actually responsible for the formation of the Empire.
                That's reason enough to hate him.
                I was shocked when he was even considered for temporary Senator.

Comment

The starter of this thread intended it to be a Pro-Jar Jar thread. I've changed the title to match that purpose. Please keep any further discussions Pro-Jar Jar.

Thanks!
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I didn't mind Jar Jar in Episode II and especially in Episode III... but there was just way too much of him in Episode 1 - although there was some funny moments with him
                    Ses
                    James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

I LOVED Jar Jar in Ep I, he had me in stitches half the time he was on screen

sigpic
                      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                        I LOVED Jar Jar in Ep I, he had me in stitches half the time he was on screen
                        Same here! And I didn't even know what he was saying!

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel J. Tilden

It's a bit surrealistic to see Padme, Anakin, Obi-Wan and the rest stoically accept Jar Jar's antics as socially acceptable
                          You gotta learn to watch the movie. Obi-Wan refers to him as a "pathetic lifeform", Threepio and Artoo ridicule him, Padme gives him a dirty look when he gets his hand stuck in the podracer, Panaka disdains the Gungans. It's all there. It was meant to contrast Qui-Gon's compassion vs. the general population of the galaxy, including the other Jedi. And although the lines were cut from Episode III, it was because Qui-Gon was so different that he was able to retain his identity and teach Yoda about it. The thread was woven so subtly that today's superficial world can't see it.

There's a certain literary value to having a bumbling fool like Jar Jar but most people are too stupid to understand it and drone on and on about how bad the prequels are. If you learned to think just a bit more deeply you'd actually understand them a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by 1138
                            You gotta learn to watch the movie. Obi-Wan refers to him as a "pathetic lifeform", Threepio and Artoo ridicule him, Padme gives him a dirty look when he gets his hand stuck in the podracer, Panaka disdains the Gungans. It's all there. It was meant to contrast Qui-Gon's compassion vs. the general population of the galaxy, including the other Jedi. And although the lines were cut from Episode III, it was because Qui-Gon was so different that he was able to retain his identity and teach Yoda about it. The thread was woven so subtly that today's superficial world can't see it.

There's a certain literary value to having a bumbling fool like Jar Jar but most people are too stupid to understand it and drone on and on about how bad the prequels are. If you learned to think just a bit more deeply you'd actually understand them a lot more.
                            Omigod! You're George Lucas, aren't you!

Comment

Originally posted by 1138
                              There's a long tradition of the fool in literature to provide light relief, a counterpoint to the serious stuff, an 'everyman' perspective, etc. just look at Shakespeare. It's full of jesters, jokers, buffoons, rude mechanicals.

The point about Jar Jar Binks, for me at least, is that he was annoying, incomprehensible and idiosyncratic in the extreme, and lacked the redeeming features needed to make him at all sympathetic and hence an effective fool.

And if you learned to be just a little less patronising you'd actually find people would interact with you on an intellectual level instead of taking offence and storming off in a huff.
                              sigpic
                              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I never had a problem with Jar Jar.

Comment

Working...
                                X