Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discovery of a Ancient capital ship on Atlantis - yay or nay?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery of a Ancient capital ship on Atlantis - yay or nay?

The fact that we have yet to see an Ancient warship/capital ship is interesting to me... they did fight a war against the Wraith, and while I agree the Puddlejumpers have a decent armament, they could not fight any sort of war against a fully armed Wraith armada.

That begs the question - where are the Ancient capital ships? Would you like/dislike the idea that Atlantis has one but it is in a location in the city that no one has discovered yet... that perhaps in 1 or 2 seasons they finally uncover? By capital ship, I'm talking about a big ship, Battlestar Galactica size, built by the ancients to fight the Wraith.

Good idea/bad idea... discuss.

I say, yay. But it should be one of the out-dated ships. Not a brad new super duper ship. 'Cause if they found that, then they would have to blow it up. Like when SG-1 acquired Chronus' ship.

Just make it slightly more powerful then the Daedie.

Comment

Likely all the crusiers were destroyed but I agree that we should see more, they cant all be gone. But where would one look on Atlantis that they havent before?

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedOne
        Likely all the crusiers were destroyed but I agree that we should see more, they cant all be gone. But where would one look on Atlantis that they havent before?
        Well, there is the mainland... they could have an episode where the people living on the mainland discover something, and the team goes to investigate and it turns out to be an Ancient base ON the continent, one that leads deep underground into a massive hanger that contains one of these Capital Ships.

Comment

totally unquestionable yay, any ship is a good ship, any ancient ship is a god ship. its the best thing since dakara went galactic. i cant wait.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

I cant see TPTB giving us an untouched ancient capital ship. Maybe an unfinished one yes. We would have to finish it though. If everything except for part of the hull was built, we might be able to do it. If ancient capital ships come with a s***load of puddle jumpers, drones and other weapons they'd already have to be built. Along with the hyperdrive, shield, supporting power systems, sub light engines, and everything else i cant think of.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

in inferno: major spoilers
              mkcay uses it shields to defend the team against lava flows then launches it in to orbit with the super eruption, maybe its slightly damaged but it could be towed to atlantis by the deadalus ready fro use.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                totally unquestionable yay, any ship is a good ship, any ancient ship is a god ship. its the best thing since dakara went galactic. i cant wait.
                You must have read my mind
                The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                  The fact that we have yet to see an Ancient warship/capital ship is interesting to me... they did fight a war against the Wraith, and while I agree the Puddlejumpers have a decent armament, they could not fight any sort of war against a fully armed Wraith armada.

That begs the question - where are the Ancient capital ships? Would you like/dislike the idea that Atlantis has one but it is in a location in the city that no one has discovered yet... that perhaps in 1 or 2 seasons they finally uncover? By capital ship, I'm talking about a big ship, Battlestar Galactica size, built by the ancients to fight the Wraith.

Good idea/bad idea... discuss.
                  Well since they are much bigger than Daedalus, I have a slight problem with them being unable to detect it after around a year & half of being in the place. Not to mention them having access to the whole city & it's schematics. Since they could track an Aurora class warship that was on the edge of the Pegasus galaxy, yet couldn't seem to find one that was a couple thousand yards away from them. That would be the biggest screw up in the history of SG.

Besides
                  Spoiler:
                  they finally do get one in 'Inferno' that they eventually get working. How long it will last is another thing altogether!

Well, there is the mainland... they could have an episode where the people living on the mainland discover something, and the team goes to investigate and it turns out to be an Ancient base ON the continent, one that leads deep underground into a massive hanger that contains one of these Capital Ships.
                  Another no, Lots of PJ's have been flown over the mainland & also in orbit of the planet, as well as Daedalus & the Atlantis DB. Yet Prometheus could pick up anamolies in 'Avalon', yet Daedalus with it's more advanced tech & PJ's being Ancient tech themselves being unable to see anything is highly, highly doubtful.

The fact is all the major ships will have been destroyed by the Wraith in the war. Otherwise if the Ancients had a whole fleet of warships lying around then I'm fairly certain that they wouldn't have let themselves be under seige fo many years in Atlantis & then finally abandoning their people & galaxy to return to Earth.

There are probably a few, most of which are either heavily battle damaged & crash landed on a planet somewhere. While there is a strong possibilty that there is a couple of manufactuing stations out there, obviously hidden from normal view & if they got really lucky one or two brand spanking new Aurora's ready & waiting for action. However there is more chance of them being unfinished or in for repairs. So as long as the one they are going to get soon lasts for a while, then I'm happy enough.

Comment

I think them finding an incomplete ancient ship then finishing it by the end of next season is a superb idea

Comment

I think we can assume it is a newer ship, because older ships would have been wiped out if they were not refitted. A full hangar would be sweet, because then you could fit the other classes of Ancient ships that we don't know about yet. They were probably producing ships in Atlantis right up until the evacuation to Earth, to cover the retreat of transports heading to Atlantis (Before I Sleep). There may even be ships that are submersible too, but they would likely be a jumper variant. There could be things in oceanic caves, like submersible jumpers.
                      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                      Caboose: They could be worse?
                      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master
                        I think we can assume it is a newer ship, because older ships would have been wiped out if they were not refitted. A full hangar would be sweet, because then you could fit the other classes of Ancient ships that we don't know about yet. They were probably producing ships in Atlantis right up until the evacuation to Earth, to cover the retreat of transports heading to Atlantis (Before I Sleep). There may even be ships that are submersible too, but they would likely be a jumper variant. There could be things in oceanic caves, like submersible jumpers.
                        In Siege II while they were panning from building to building, i thought i saw 4 white little banana shaped thingys that looked like submersibles.

Best Stargate quote:
                        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                          In Siege II while they were panning from building to building, i thought i saw 4 white little banana shaped thingys that looked like submersibles.
                          Can you get a cap for this? That'd be awesome.
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                            Another no, Lots of PJ's have been flown over the mainland & also in orbit of the planet, as well as Daedalus & the Atlantis DB. Yet Prometheus could pick up anamolies in 'Avalon', yet Daedalus with it's more advanced tech & PJ's being Ancient tech themselves being unable to see anything is highly, highly doubtful.
                            Not necessarily. The Atlantis sensors only found the Aurora because it's distress beacon had been activated. Assuming the base/hanger is underground and everything is powered down, it could've been missed very easily by any precursor sensor sweeps.

Having said that, I agree with you that any working order Ancient capital ships would've been destroyed in the war. The best the Atlantis team can hope for is to find some ships that only have minor damage or were in the process of being refitted when their hangar's were abandoned.

Personally speaking, I hope they find a ship better than Aurora. Even in it's prime, the Daedalus would still be much faster than it (I really hate how it's been established the Ancients had two kinds of hyperdrives, and that their "inside galaxy" ones were apparently slow as hell. At least the one Aurora was equipped with.). Hopefully a fullscale Ancient capital ship would have a faster hyperdrive.
                            MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

or better yet, maybe somewhere on the mainland we find a underground hanger, we know that when cloaked waith sensors cant detect us, maybe theres a underground bunker where theay built new classes of ships and it is highly shielded and blocked from sensor scans inless u have a code entered in the computer or aits disguised as normal background radition to help hide it, anyways maybe find said hanger and its got an unfinished prototype warship that was the ancients hail marry last effort where theay threw everything theay got into it, and in that ship we have some fighters, now that would be nice, and maybe this hanger could also have a store room with some ZPM's

Comment

Working...
                              X