Ronon is a jerk

Ronon Dex: Jerk
    *Pummeled by Shexers*
    Yes i know.
    Ronon IS a jerk
    Why? Because almost every episode he's in he ends up being one
    whether it being killing someone or Beating up some girl
    Your thoughts?
    Edit: This has now been resolved. NO RED!!!!
    Last edited by AcidSquid; 08 December 2005, 11:55 AM.

I can't say I blame him, though. If I remember my Stress and Mental Health unit, I think Ronon has displacement and projection that he needs to get rid of before he'll be all buddy-buddy with anyone. He's seen some pretty horrible stuff.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Meaning he shouldn't be on any off-world teams
      He's very unfit for any team until he's ready to be friendly

Comment

He's friendly. Geez. Look at his shared excitement with McKay over finding a ZPM. Look at how he drank happily with his old friend in Trinity. Look at how he and Sheppard run around Atlantis for exercise and poke fun at each other when the other loses. Look at how he went to Teyla in Duet and apologized for his instinctual behavior that he'd built up over the last seven years. Look at the times he's expressed concern for Sheppard in Conversion and Epiphany. Look at his camaraderie with Teyla and Sheppard in Instinct.

Ronon is a nice guy, just not happy-go-lucky nice.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyMckay

Your thoughts?
          That's rather harsh considering all that he has been through. I can only imagine there would be some adjustment time needed.

Comment

I don't think there are many characters on TV shows that don't exhibit jerky behavior at times, but that doesn't mean they're categorically a jerk. Look at Rodney- jerkish sometimes, endearing sometimes.

Ronon has exhibited some sensitivity, especially toward Sheppard. He lived all by himself for seven years. His people skills are rusty.
            Sig by Camy

Comment

*Pummeled by Shexers*
              Yes i know.
              Ronon IS a jerk
              Your thoughts?
              No pummeling from this Shexer.

I get the feeling you don't like him? I really think we need to see more of him and hear more from him before we can go making any harsh comments on his character. And if Ronon is a Jerk what on Earth or Atlantis does that make Rodney!?

As for the beating up some girl? He has only really taken on Teyla and she is quite capable of defending herself most of the time.

Spoiler for "Conversion" Season two

Spoiler:
              It's Sheppard who went too far forcing himself on her.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose

I get the feeling you don't like him? I really think we need to see more of him and hear more from him before we can go making any harsh comments on his character. And if Ronon is a Jerk what on Earth or Atlantis does that make Rodney!?
                I'm not a big fan of Ronon either, but I am willing to give it time. I am hoping that he has an episode that will develop his character without bloodshed in the next half of the season. I did think he was used well in Conversion, but I found his role in Lost Boys annoying.

I was happy with the original team, so Ronon will take some getting used to. He enhances Sheppard's team and can offer the "unacceptable" solution at times. I just want him to grow on me soon. Right now, he reminds me of early Worf. The ST:TNG and STS9 writers figured out what to do with Work eventually, but it took forever. Hopefully, the SGA writers will find Ronon a niche soon.
                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

*Pummeled by Shexers*
                  Yes i know.
                  Ronon IS a jerk
                  Your thoughts?
                  Sounds like someone who used to post here under a different name.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

i see him more as anti-social than anything else.

Think of it this way, take two brothers, put one in prep school and get him a nice white collar job and an active social live and put the other out in th boonies, living off the land and in solitude or wiht very little human contact and see how they behave after 10 years of living that way???

one would be a bit more 'with it' and socially adept than the other whose behavior is likely more casual and 'earthy'

Ronon's that 'earthy' type

oh, and as a mod i do need to put the obligatory warning in here....discuss ronon all you want, but not Jason...at least not in the vein of being a jerk.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

He killed that guy because he was sensitive to the loss his people suffered. Killing him showed he has a strong sense of justice and is courageous enough to avenge the thousands Kel (Kel, right?) had ordered to their deaths. Sure, the "right thing" might've been to have him pay for that crime another way, but a real jerk would either not care about the whole thing or want in on his wealth and "private army" regardless of the man's past atrocities.

When he did that to Teyla, that was just his fighting instinct. He'd been free from his Runner status for probably not much more than a day or two. Things get engraved into you if you experience them that much. It's called a "conditioned reaction". When she dropped her guard his instinct was to take the chance at victory.

Comment

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of someone who doesn't exactly get along with the others that well.

Spoilers for Epiphany
                        Spoiler:
                        I got the sense that he actually really wanted to punch McKay in the face at the start of that episode. And I kind of like that dynamic, that he doesn't seem to tolerate McKay like everyone else does. It should lead to some interesting McKay and Ronan stuff

Comment

Can we PLEASE PLEASE be careful with the spoilers? Since there's no spoiler warning on the thread title, individual spoilers within posts should be tagged as such. Please.

And this whole "Ronon's a jerk because he's a jerk" thing? Puh-lease!

Frankly, McKay is far more of a jackass than Ronon will ever be. And that's coming from someone who considers McKay to be her favorite character on the show.

Ronon has issues... as so many of us do. But personally, I've never considered him a jerk. I prefer the term "rough around the edges." LOL! He isn't among my favorite characters, but he isn't at the bottom of the barrel, either.

Comment

no but mckay is a wussy

Comment

Your thoughts?
                              I think you should perhaps provide more solid evidence to support your opinion other than, "He's a jerk in every episode!" You are, of course, entitled to dislike the character. But please explain what you mean when you say he is a jerk in every episode, because I'm not clear on what you're referring to.

He can be temperamental. But given that (general spoilers for Runner)
                              Spoiler:
                              he spent seven years isolated and alone on the run from the wraith, not to mention most of his world was destroyed
                              Well, that would make anyone a bit touchy, to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                              X