This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Success?

One thing i've been thinking back..as I die in anticipation for tomorrow.

The Stargate franchise is becoming huge...infact, it's becoming the next big thing, taking over Star Trek's spot as the most popular sci-fi show out there.

My question is...has Stargate beaten out Star Trek in terms of popularity? Or does it still have a little ways to go? (maybe sg-1 movies as Atlantis becomes more and more popular)

For me, I think it's ALMOST there...I think once Atlantis hits and bcomes a major success...sg-1 will start making movies and that's when it will claim itself king. Or is it already? Not just in your mind..but globally.
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

I can't back my opinion with anything even remotely mistakable as evidence, but I'd have to say no. In my neck of the woods (Northern Virginia, USA), SG1 is primarily limited to cable. Fox attempts to play one episode a week, but there is typically some sporting event that runs over its time slot. Even when it does get played, the audio quality is horrific, making it unsettling to watch as a deafening commercial is always just around the corner.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the ST flavors were viewable via antenna, thus enjoying an exponentially greater viewership. I think even RDA makes mention of a similar fact in one of the recent interviews. Just about every one I know, including people who claim to dislike SF, can talk shop about at least one of the ST series. The same group of people give me a blank stare when I mention SG1.

/$0.02USD

Dave

Comment

Give it 10 years, and people won't even know what the hell Star Trek is anymore.

My "Star" lists (based on Populatrity/ 2004) goes as such:

1. Star Wars (4-6)
      2. Star Wars (1-3)
      3. Star Trek: The Next Generation
      4. StarGate SG-1 // Atlantis (based upon its hype)
      5. Star Trek: Deep Space 9
      6. Various Star Trek Movies

Soon Stargate SG1 will be in position 2 and SGA will be in position for all on its own.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

While the Stargate franchise is wildly popular compared to most SciFi/Fantasy genres, it still has not reached the cult following of Star Trek. A quick imperical fact is that Stargate averages 2.3 million viewers, whereas Star Trek: Enterprise (which is by no means the most popular Trek series) averages about 4.4 million viewers.

Give Stargate a few more years and it just might surpass Trek.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

And a number of spin-offs, don't forget that!

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            And a number of spin-offs, don't forget that!
            What you talkin' bout Wilis?!

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
              What you talkin' bout Wilis?!
              Star Trek has a billion spin-offs, and for stargate to be on equal playing grounds they also need atleast a million spin-offs:>

Comment

IMHO, Stargate is not close to StarTrek in popularity at all. I also believe it has much further to go and to be honest, I'm not sure if it will ever get there... but here's hoping!!!

The cable only is what hurts Stargate in terms of reaching a larger audience, even with syndication of the older seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                  Give it 10 years, and people won't even know what the hell Star Trek is anymore.

My "Star" lists (based on Populatrity/ 2004) goes as such:

1. Star Wars (4-6)
                  2. Star Wars (1-3)
                  3. Star Trek: The Next Generation
                  4. StarGate SG-1 // Atlantis (based upon its hype)
                  5. Star Trek: Deep Space 9
                  6. Various Star Trek Movies

Soon Stargate SG1 will be in position 2 and SGA will be in position for all on its own.
                  We Think Alike I just said something similar to "Give it 10 years, and people won't even know what the hell Star Trek is anymore" in a post I posted 5 min ago lol. Star Trek is on the way out Stargate Will evetually overcome it.
                  Last edited by chiefchucky; 15 July 2004, 11:57 AM. Reason: I screwed up

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                    My question is...has Stargate beaten out Star Trek in terms of popularity? Or does it still have a little ways to go? (maybe sg-1 movies as Atlantis becomes more and more popular)
                    Hmmm...interesting question. I have no sense of perspective on how popular Stargate is. Having watched it from the beginning, it's always been #1 in my house! It wasn't until around S5-6 that I realized how big it was outside of the US, which explained a lot.

Stargate does not have near the ratings of any of the Star Trek series. This is due in part to the fact that they're on cable in the US, but it's still a "baby" franchise compared to the 38-year-old Star Trek. Star Trek is a Worldwide Cultural Icon and it will always have its "First" status. TOS was some groundbreaking television for the time and it only went for three seasons! It was ten years after TOS before they did a movie and eight more years after that before the next series. That's some serious devotion to keep the flame alive without new input and without the multimedia, telecommunications and advertising options we have today.

Maybe...one day...Stargate will become as huge and have as much longevity. Maybe. I guess I see it as saying "The Next Elvis"...which is silly because no matter what comes along, no one can replace Elvis the Cultural Icon. Even if someone does come along, that someone will always be compared to Elvis the Cultural Icon. It doesn't matter what you think of Elvis; he's a benchmark by which all others will be judged. Same thing for Star Trek. In fact, that's the question: will Stargate ever be as big or bigger than Star Trek!
                    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                    once done, cannot be undone...
                    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I think Stargate is scifi's best kept secret. It probably won't be fully appreciated until the series has ended, maybe even after Atlantis has ended. I think the one greatest thing propelling it towards cult status is the DVD box sets, and that is something that will continue on and on, because anybody can buy (or borrow) the DVDs but not everybody has access to cable.

I think Stargate is just going to keep growing in popularity in the next decade or so, not because of anything drastic the network or MGM does (unless maybe if they make a movie or series of movies), but purely through the substantial power of word of mouth.

Since I startetd collecting the DVDs last year (and I have them all now), my collection has managed to hook four other people on Stargate in a serious way. Two of those people in turn have hooked a total of another four people.

I think the reason the box sets were such an unexpected success is largely because of us fans...we won't shutup about how cool SG1 is and other people are bound to get curious.

I think Stargate has the longevity to continue to attract fans long after the series itself has ended. And then everyone will be jealous because we were there from the beginning!

Edited to say: Oops! Make that 7 people hooked from my DVD set. Forgot all about my Bro and sister in law in another State, not to mention my 9 year old nephew.
                      Last edited by SaharaGate; 15 July 2004, 04:33 PM.

Comment

StarGate is spreading like a STD instead of a common cold(24, Alias, Enterprise...). It might be slower, but once you're infected it's damn hard to get rid off

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                          StarGate is spreading like a STD instead of a common cold(24, Alias, Enterprise...). It might be slower, but once you're infected it's damn hard to get rid off
                          Niiiice analogy, there. Like I needed that kind of imagery?
                          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                          once done, cannot be undone...
                          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                            Niiiice analogy, there. Like I needed that kind of imagery?
                            Anything for you

Comment

well if we put it like this we've had a stargate film (with big success), original series within a few years of that (lasting 8 years so far on cable), animated series, comic book series, spin off series, and huge fan dedication.
                              star trek had, original series (lasting 3 years on network tv), an animated series (much forgotten) a few years later, first film (moderate success), followed by a series of films, spin off franchise many years later.

considering the time span i'd say stargate is doing pretty good with the time its had. but star trek predates and outlives even the star wars franchise, so its difficult to really compare, and to compete with.
                              star trek has a larger following because its easier to access, its shown regularly world wide, stargate is more difficult to come by. and its easier to follow because its essentially a space opera. stargate has more complexity (i find), its got more rules to obey because its set in our time. there's more, but i'm sure nobody wants to hear it from me

but to cut this short, and to put it in terms of the title of this thread,
                              just look at how many different nationalities are in this forum alone. i'd say thats global success alright. especially considering some of those countries don't even show stargate on their national networks.

Comment

Working...
                              X