Epiphany (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gooner_diva
    If 250 years in the Cloister are 1 year outside, then 10,000 years there are 40 outside, no?
    10,000 years have passed outside, remember?

So, it should be like, 2,400,000 years inside or something close to that... Teyla said the ratio was 250:1, but if it really was 3 seconds = 12 minutes it would be 240:1

So it should be somewhere between 2,400,000 years and 2,500,000 years... But who's counting?

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

First of all, I loved this episode. Lots of Sheppard and great moments

The only weak point I see is the beast, but it's nothing that prevents me from enjoying the episode. I still give it 5 stars out of 5 in my book. OK, maybe I give it 4.7 stars instead of 5 because of the beast.

I haven't seen any of the episodes/movies others are saying. I'm not a sci fi fan at all, the only sci fi stuff I watch are both Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. So it's all fresh for me and I loved it.

Yes, I would've loved to know more about Sheppard's past. I don't know if it was something that at some point was in the script and then got written off, or if it was something that was filmed and then cut out in the editing process.

I recognized the guy from Cor-ai and Demons. I didn't mind this at all. He played different characters in them, only a couple of episodes in 9 years, so I didn't mind them using the same actor for another role. I wouldn't like an actor who plays a recurring character in SG-1(such as Gary Jones, for example) playing another character in SGA. But having actors who played different roles in a couple of episodes it's OK.

Someone mentioned "A hundred days". That's one of my top fave SG-1 episodes. It has it's similarities, regarding being stranded off-world without any chance of getting back to your people. Maybe that's why I love so much "A hundred days" and now "Epiphany".

Yes, it was a stand-alone episode, and I don't mind this at all. I think I read spoilers that said so, so I was actually expecting a stand-alone episode. I don't mind. It's not a bad word for me Some of my top fave episodes in SG-1 are stand-alone ones (like "Legacy", "Lifeboat", "A hundred days", etc). I also liked SG-1's "Icon" a LOT (that epi seems to be a love/hate thing. Some fans love it, some fans hate it. It's not in my top list, but I sure liked it a lot). I love story-arc episodes and I love stand-alone ones. My top fave epis are always a mix of them.

I loved all the SGA regulars in this episode. And I loved lots of lines. Like "MALP on the stick". LOL. And when all the people at the village left Sheppard alone to fight the beast, and then the woman comes to stay with him, and Shep said "Now there're two of us". The way he delivered that line made it funny.

So once again, I watched an episode, and said " what a great episode", and came back here and found lots of people didn't like it very much. Oh, well. I loved it and I'm not apologizing for it

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
        Teyla said it was '250:1'

... Maybe this is wrong, but I got it as being 2,500,000 years...
        Yeah, thats wrong

Teyla recorded 3 seconds of footage (real time), but it turned about to be 12 minutes on the other side of the portal. That's 720 seconds. 720/3 is 240 (close enough to 250), so for every second that passed in real time, 240 seconds passed on in the dilation field. Teyla approximated that to a ratio of 250:1

So:

1 second = 4 minutes
        1 minute = 4 hours
        1 hour = 10 days

But, if I'm doing my math right that doesn't make sense at all. When Shep meets up with Weir and the gang, Weir says he's only been gone for a couple of hours to which Shep says 6 months. But a couple of hours should only be about 1 month max... For Shep to have gone 6 months, it would have been around 18 or so hours for the rest of the crew outside the field... Something doesn't add up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynicat
          McKay just keeps getting better and better: his assorted snarking at Ronon and Teyla (or "Conan and Xena" *snicker*) was great fun, but he also seems to be growing as a person - his admissions that it was his mistake that got Shep stuck there in the first place, that he can't fly a 'jumper in a straight line, and that the sensor probe was actually Zelenka's idea show a growing willingness to accept his own imperfections. Again, DH totally rocks
          He does rock!

It seems that ever since Trinity he's be more willing to admit that he can't do everything.

Have to check screencaps to be sure, but I think it might be a different sword, since this one's missing the (*cough*rather girly*cough*) wraith-hair tassel, and seems to have... well... yellow gaffer tape... wrapped around the hilt. It's a damn nifty looking sword, nonetheless. If it is different, it begs the question, where did he get it? S-Mart? Armourers of Atlantis (purveyors of fine pointy things for over 10,000yrs)?
          To me, the sword looks the same... I never actually really noticed hair on the sword

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Yeah, thats wrong
            That's why I never said I was right! It's almost 8am, I've been up since 5am, and I'm using the calculator on the computer and not thinking it through. And I was going on the whole '365 days, 24 hours' bit.

Teyla recorded 3 seconds of footage (real time), but it turned about to be 12 minutes on the other side of the portal. That's 720 seconds. 720/3 is 240 (close enough to 250), so for every second that passed in real time, 240 seconds passed on in the dilation field. Teyla approximated that to a ratio of 250:1

So:

1 second = 4 minutes
            1 minute = 4 hours
            1 hour = 10 days

But, if I'm doing my math right that doesn't make sense at all. When Shep meets up with Weir and the gang, Weir says he's only been gone for a couple of hours to which Shep says 6 months. But a couple of hours should only be about 1 month max... For Shep to have gone 6 months, it would have been around 18 or so hours for the rest of the crew outside the field... Something doesn't add up there.
            Maybe Teyla's the one that's bad at math, not us

The planets rotation could be weird... But that still doesn't explain... *blames Teyla*

Comment

That's why I never said I was right! It's almost 8am, I've been up since 5am, and I'm using the calculator on the computer and not thinking it through

Maybe Teyla's the one that's bad at math, not us
              No, her math is right... I think the writers goofed on the 6 months equalling a couple of hours though. Unless Shep totally lost track of time while in there and thought he'd been in there 6 months when it was more like 1 month

Comment

But who's counting?
                We're all counting it seems.
                Originally posted by macktheknife
                BTW, if they've been there for 10k years, how many years would that be "our time".
                I thought this question was asking how many years passed outside for every 10,000 inside. My wrong, nevermind.
                No, her math is right... I think the writers goofed on the 6 months equalling a couple of hours though. Unless Shep totally lost track of time while in there and thought he'd been in there 6 months when it was more like 1 month
                Or it wasn't really a couple of hours. It seemed like several hours to me.
                Last edited by gooner_diva; 29 November 2005, 05:01 AM.

Comment

You know what? I should just quit while I'm ahead. I was doing something and ended up with 27 months or years... I do not know...

I'm going to school now to learn

Comment

You know what? I should just quit while I'm ahead. I was doing something and ended up with 27 months or years... I dunno...

I'm going to school now to learn
                    You learn stuff at school these days?

Anyway, even though I'm pretty sure the writers goofed (unless someone can tell me my math is wrong), I'm gonna go with the explanation that Sheppard lost track of time in there. So even though he said 6 months at the end, he'd actually only been there for 1 month.

Comment

Anyway, even though I'm pretty sure the writers goofed (unless someone can tell me my math is wrong), I'm gonna go with the explanation that Sheppard lost track of time in there. So even though he said 6 months at the end, he'd actually only been there for 1 month.
                      Can't blame him, the place did look pretty boring for a guy like him who isn't really keen on contemplating his enlightenment all day.

Comment

Not a bad episode, really... but a little disappointing in that it had the opportunity to be great, and didn't take it. More character development - backstory gorramit! *shakes fist*
                        Well, I agree regarding the backstory. I want to know more about all the regulars' past, especially Sheppard's.

It feels like a lot was cut out of this episode - both big stuff, like actually finding out about Sheppard's past; and small stuff, like the fact that, as Carson says "part of his body [is] experiencing time at a different pace to the rest of him" (Shep makes a show of his hands bothering him in the cave, but otherwise it's just forgotten about). *crosses fingers in hopes of deleted scenes on the DVDs*
                        Yes on all counts (Shep's past, hands and deleted scenes). I think that in order to show all that, they would've needed a 2 parter. Too much stuff for just a single episode. I don't think there's anything in the episode as it is that it could've been traded for scenes about Shep's past or his body reaction. The only way I see it, it could've been in a two parter.

McKay just keeps getting better and better: his assorted snarking at Ronon and Teyla (or "Conan and Xena" *snicker*) was great fun, but he also seems to be growing as a person - his admissions that it was his mistake that got Shep stuck there in the first place, that he can't fly a 'jumper in a straight line, and that the sensor probe was actually Zelenka's idea show a growing willingness to accept his own imperfections. Again, DH totally rocks
                        Agree 100%

Beyond that:
                        - Great performances all 'round, as usual.
                        - "MALP on a Stick", LMFAO (bonus, gaffer tape to the rescue! w00t!)
                        - Carson has a date with Cadman - awww! A nice little bit of continuity there, too.
                        - Shep's got some definate abandonment issues, poor diddums *hugs him*
                        - A nice bit of character development for Ronan and Teyla (Ronon is protective of Sheppard, and Teyla is good at math & logical in a crisis). Ronon is fast becoming more than the stereotypical "Big Warrior Guy", which is very nice to see.
                        Agree with everything. Aaahhhhhh. The tape. I couldn't help but thinking of MacGyver. LOL
                        Last edited by lily; 29 November 2005, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TOA
                          Seeing as im working from home I figure Ill fill some gaps in for this episode.
                          Thanks for the summary. It was funny.
                          Were there any reunion oh-yay-Shep-is-safe hugs?

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
                            No, actually, it was more like:

Shep: What the hell took you so long? (And he did sound mad).
                            Weir: Believe it or not, We've only been gone for a couple hours.
                            Shep: Try six months!

So, no cheesy welcoming scene, but Shep did say he "even missed you guys a little"...

I am still disappointed after having watched it a second time..
                            Last edited by caty; 29 November 2005, 12:43 PM.
                            *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

There was a rumor going around the other day. I guess I heard wrong because here I am again at Gateworld, Fanforum, and Livejournal. Ha. Yay for double spare

Yeah, he's probably just exaggerating. He was probably so bored that he thought he was six months instead of one month.

They didn't give Rodney enough time to correct him!

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
                                From their point of view, he was only gone for a couple hours. He was sounding so angry through-out the whole episode. He's all into the 'don't leave anyone behind' and poor guy thought they abandoned him

Originally posted by caty
                                I am still disappointed after having watched it a second time..
                                The episode wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't that bad. It kind of has the same A Hundred Days feeling to me, but with more humor from the rescue side.

I'd rate the episode as being somewhere between... The Brotherhood (pretty good), Childhood's End (okay), and Sanctuary (didn't like).

I am a little disappointed with the lack of character development, and character background.

They so better go into the Beckett thing from The Hive. I'll be very disappointed if they don't, and if the whole implication was just a lead on

Comment

Working...
                                X