Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Epiphany (212)

Default Re: Epiphany

Conan And Xena!!!

Best.line.ever
    http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3033/lucius2sigtx7.jpg
    Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

Can I just first point out how much I hate Movie Central for the inconvient time slots? C'mon, 11pm Monday night, and 5am Tuesday morning? Jeez. I got up at 5am to watch it!

The episode was pretty good. Humor good 'Conan and Xena'

I didn't like the ascending people. I found them to be a bit annoying. It's got that guy who was in Cor-ai and Demons. He just keeps showing up! And isn't that kid that annoying kid on Invasion? Ugh.

I didn't really like the woman who was hitting on Sheppard. Of course, they had to kiss. Bah.

Liked Rodney's comment though: "What is it with you and ascending women?"

But, I do have a cotinuity question though... How/when did Ronon get his sword back? He didn't have it with him at the end of The Hive. He had in in Lost Boys though. It was still on the ship when it blew up. Does he have a spare? He only had one with him in Runner

I felt a little cheated with 'the Beast'. Damn ascending people mind tricks!

Loved the 'MALP on a stick'. And 'Conan and Xena.' Ha.

Also, I thought John looked kind of hot with the beard. So there...

Now since I would usually only be getting up right now, I'm going to go see if I can watch an episode of Nip/Tuck before I go to school

Oh, what makes me sad is my mom saying to me that the show is getting boring... It's not getting boring, is it? I don't think it is...

Overall the episode was a bit flat. Wasn't bad, but not as good as some of the other episodes this season.

Some random thoughts about the episode:

It was interesting at the start of the episode to see McKay getting angry at Ronan when he was attempting to try and find out how to get Sheppard back (before he went back to the City). The body language from Ronan himself suggests that he doesn't actually get on too well with McKay at all. In fact it really did look like Ronan wanted to smack McKay in the face. Could lead to some interesting dynamics later on, with someone actually really disliking McKay (as opposed to the "Well he's annoying, but he's actually pretty good at what he does so that makes him ok" kinda attitude that alot of people have towards him)

The scene where Sheppard and girl kiss, my reaction was 'Shepwh0re powers - activate'
    In fact a totally random thought, but could you imagine the devastation that would be brought upon the eligible bachelor and bachelorettes in the universe if Sheppard and Carter teamed up? I could imagine them after a hard week of 'saving' their respective galaxies relaxing in the bar...

Carter: So how many you get this week?
    Shep: Two Ascended, one princess and a cheiftan's daughter.
    Carter: Nice!
    Shep: How about you?
    Carter: Only one Ascended, but 2 from advanced societies and an ambassador.
    Shep: Ah, good work. <raises glass> To saving the galaxy!
    Carter: <clinks her own glass against his> To saving the galaxy!

Ahem, anyway...

This ep was pretty much a stand alone one, so no earth shattering revelations about anything. Not even any real character development.
    One small thing though. The Ancients built the whole time dilation field thing so that humans (perhaps even themselves) could spend their lifetime devoted to following the path to Ascension without having to worry about the Wraith coming to eat them while they were trying to do it. Which seems a bit odd when you think about it - toes the line on the whole 'No interfering with a lesser beings natural ascension path' thing. And if the Ancients themselves used to help them ascend without the Wraith interfering, it seems like a bit of a cheap trick

Oh well, thats enough disjointed rambling from me

I was under the impression that the ancients built it themselves, so people who wanted to ascened could do so without wraith attack.

BTW, if they've been there for 10k years, how many years would that be "our time". Did anyone get the proper "conversion" and could do the maths?

I assume they had a regular family structure (well.. born, grow, have children, ascend)?
    http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3033/lucius2sigtx7.jpg
    Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by macktheknife
    I was under the impression that the ancients built it themselves, so people who wanted to ascened could do so without wraith attack.
    Yeah, thats what I thought too. But still, the non-interference thing goes both ways - even though it was a benevolant act to give those humans a safe place to ascend from the Wraith, it's still intefering with what would otherwise be those humans normal ascension path.

Teyla said it was '250:1'

... Maybe this is wrong, but I got it as being 2,500,000 years...

Lieutenant Colonel IWantToBelieve's Avatar

I think the 250 to 1 is 250 minutes to 1 minute, since she only dipped that camera in for about a minute and definitely not an hour, and more than a second, I'd go with that one.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/IWantToBelieve2/sigpics/sigpicboys1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IWantToBelieve
    I think the 250 to 1 is 250 minutes to 1 minute, since she only dipped that camera in for about a minute and definitely not an hour, and more than a second, I'd go with that one.
    She dipped the camera in for 3 seconds and got 12 minutes of footage.

So that would be 3:720 which would actually only be 1:240

Thus, it should be about 2,400,000 years... But that's probably still wrong. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty

If 250 years in the Cloister are 1 year outside, then 10,000 years there are 40 outside, no?

Not a bad episode, really... but a little disappointing in that it had the opportunity to be great, and didn't take it. More character development - backstory gorramit! *shakes fist*

It feels like a lot was cut out of this episode - both big stuff, like actually finding out about Sheppard's past; and small stuff, like the fact that, as Carson says "part of his body [is] experiencing time at a different pace to the rest of him" (Shep makes a show of his hands bothering him in the cave, but otherwise it's just forgotten about). *crosses fingers in hopes of deleted scenes on the DVDs*

McKay just keeps getting better and better: his assorted snarking at Ronon and Teyla (or "Conan and Xena" *snicker*) was great fun, but he also seems to be growing as a person - his admissions that it was his mistake that got Shep stuck there in the first place, that he can't fly a 'jumper in a straight line, and that the sensor probe was actually Zelenka's idea show a growing willingness to accept his own imperfections. Again, DH totally rocks

Beyond that:
    - Great performances all 'round, as usual.
    - "MALP on a Stick", LMFAO (bonus, gaffer tape to the rescue! w00t!)
    - Carson has a date with Cadman - awww! A nice little bit of continuity there, too.
    - Shep's got some definate abandonment issues, poor diddums *hugs him*
    - A nice bit of character development for Ronan and Teyla (Ronon is protective of Sheppard, and Teyla is good at math & logical in a crisis). Ronon is fast becoming more than the stereotypical "Big Warrior Guy", which is very nice to see.
    - Good to see Weir offworld again, the girl needs to get out more.
    - All I could think for half the episode was "Shep is wearing Ugg boots." I kept expecting him to reappear at the hut with a carton of milk, a loaf of bread and a copy of the Sunday Telegraph. *chants mantra "Shep is not a Westie, Shep is not a Westie, Shep is not a Westie..."*

But, I do have a cotinuity question though... How/when did Ronon get his sword back? He didn't have it with him at the end of The Hive. He had in in Lost Boys though. It was still on the ship when it blew up. Does he have a spare? He only had one with him in Runner
    Have to check screencaps to be sure, but I think it might be a different sword, since this one's missing the (*cough*rather girly*cough*) wraith-hair tassel, and seems to have... well... yellow gaffer tape... wrapped around the hilt. It's a damn nifty looking sword, nonetheless. If it is different, it begs the question, where did he get it? S-Mart? Armourers of Atlantis (purveyors of fine pointy things for over 10,000yrs)?

Quote Originally Posted by gooner_diva
    If 250 years in the Cloister are 1 year outside, then 10,000 years there are 40 outside, no?
    10,000 years have passed outside, remember?

So, it should be like, 2,400,000 years inside or something close to that... Teyla said the ratio was 250:1, but if it really was 3 seconds = 12 minutes it would be 240:1

So it should be somewhere between 2,400,000 years and 2,500,000 years... But who's counting?

Thumbs up Re: Epiphany

First of all, I loved this episode. Lots of Sheppard and great moments

The only weak point I see is the beast, but it's nothing that prevents me from enjoying the episode. I still give it 5 stars out of 5 in my book. OK, maybe I give it 4.7 stars instead of 5 because of the beast.

I haven't seen any of the episodes/movies others are saying. I'm not a sci fi fan at all, the only sci fi stuff I watch are both Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. So it's all fresh for me and I loved it.

Yes, I would've loved to know more about Sheppard's past. I don't know if it was something that at some point was in the script and then got written off, or if it was something that was filmed and then cut out in the editing process.

I recognized the guy from Cor-ai and Demons. I didn't mind this at all. He played different characters in them, only a couple of episodes in 9 years, so I didn't mind them using the same actor for another role. I wouldn't like an actor who plays a recurring character in SG-1(such as Gary Jones, for example) playing another character in SGA. But having actors who played different roles in a couple of episodes it's OK.

Someone mentioned "A hundred days". That's one of my top fave SG-1 episodes. It has it's similarities, regarding being stranded off-world without any chance of getting back to your people. Maybe that's why I love so much "A hundred days" and now "Epiphany".

Yes, it was a stand-alone episode, and I don't mind this at all. I think I read spoilers that said so, so I was actually expecting a stand-alone episode. I don't mind. It's not a bad word for me Some of my top fave episodes in SG-1 are stand-alone ones (like "Legacy", "Lifeboat", "A hundred days", etc). I also liked SG-1's "Icon" a LOT (that epi seems to be a love/hate thing. Some fans love it, some fans hate it. It's not in my top list, but I sure liked it a lot). I love story-arc episodes and I love stand-alone ones. My top fave epis are always a mix of them.

I loved all the SGA regulars in this episode. And I loved lots of lines. Like "MALP on the stick". LOL. And when all the people at the village left Sheppard alone to fight the beast, and then the woman comes to stay with him, and Shep said "Now there're two of us". The way he delivered that line made it funny.

So once again, I watched an episode, and said " what a great episode", and came back here and found lots of people didn't like it very much. Oh, well. I loved it and I'm not apologizing for it

Yeah, thats wrong

Teyla recorded 3 seconds of footage (real time), but it turned about to be 12 minutes on the other side of the portal. That's 720 seconds. 720/3 is 240 (close enough to 250), so for every second that passed in real time, 240 seconds passed on in the dilation field. Teyla approximated that to a ratio of 250:1

So:

1 second = 4 minutes
    1 minute = 4 hours
    1 hour = 10 days

But, if I'm doing my math right that doesn't make sense at all. When Shep meets up with Weir and the gang, Weir says he's only been gone for a couple of hours to which Shep says 6 months. But a couple of hours should only be about 1 month max... For Shep to have gone 6 months, it would have been around 18 or so hours for the rest of the crew outside the field... Something doesn't add up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicat
    McKay just keeps getting better and better: his assorted snarking at Ronon and Teyla (or "Conan and Xena" *snicker*) was great fun, but he also seems to be growing as a person - his admissions that it was his mistake that got Shep stuck there in the first place, that he can't fly a 'jumper in a straight line, and that the sensor probe was actually Zelenka's idea show a growing willingness to accept his own imperfections. Again, DH totally rocks
    He does rock!

It seems that ever since Trinity he's be more willing to admit that he can't do everything.

Have to check screencaps to be sure, but I think it might be a different sword, since this one's missing the (*cough*rather girly*cough*) wraith-hair tassel, and seems to have... well... yellow gaffer tape... wrapped around the hilt. It's a damn nifty looking sword, nonetheless. If it is different, it begs the question, where did he get it? S-Mart? Armourers of Atlantis (purveyors of fine pointy things for over 10,000yrs)?
    To me, the sword looks the same... I never actually really noticed hair on the sword

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark
    Yeah, thats wrong
    That's why I never said I was right! It's almost 8am, I've been up since 5am, and I'm using the calculator on the computer and not thinking it through. And I was going on the whole '365 days, 24 hours' bit.

Teyla recorded 3 seconds of footage (real time), but it turned about to be 12 minutes on the other side of the portal. That's 720 seconds. 720/3 is 240 (close enough to 250), so for every second that passed in real time, 240 seconds passed on in the dilation field. Teyla approximated that to a ratio of 250:1

So:

1 second = 4 minutes
    1 minute = 4 hours
    1 hour = 10 days

But, if I'm doing my math right that doesn't make sense at all. When Shep meets up with Weir and the gang, Weir says he's only been gone for a couple of hours to which Shep says 6 months. But a couple of hours should only be about 1 month max... For Shep to have gone 6 months, it would have been around 18 or so hours for the rest of the crew outside the field... Something doesn't add up there.
    Maybe Teyla's the one that's bad at math, not us

The planets rotation could be weird... But that still doesn't explain... *blames Teyla*

That's why I never said I was right! It's almost 8am, I've been up since 5am, and I'm using the calculator on the computer and not thinking it through

Maybe Teyla's the one that's bad at math, not us
    No, her math is right... I think the writers goofed on the 6 months equalling a couple of hours though. Unless Shep totally lost track of time while in there and thought he'd been in there 6 months when it was more like 1 month

But who's counting?
    We're all counting it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by macktheknife
    BTW, if they've been there for 10k years, how many years would that be "our time".
    I thought this question was asking how many years passed outside for every 10,000 inside. My wrong, nevermind.
    No, her math is right... I think the writers goofed on the 6 months equalling a couple of hours though. Unless Shep totally lost track of time while in there and thought he'd been in there 6 months when it was more like 1 month
    Or it wasn't really a couple of hours. It seemed like several hours to me.
    Last edited by gooner_diva; November 29th, 2005 at 06:01 AM.

You know what? I should just quit while I'm ahead. I was doing something and ended up with 27 months or years... I do not know...

I'm going to school now to learn

You know what? I should just quit while I'm ahead. I was doing something and ended up with 27 months or years... I dunno...

I'm going to school now to learn
    You learn stuff at school these days?

Anyway, even though I'm pretty sure the writers goofed (unless someone can tell me my math is wrong), I'm gonna go with the explanation that Sheppard lost track of time in there. So even though he said 6 months at the end, he'd actually only been there for 1 month.

You learn stuff at school these days?

Anyway, even though I'm pretty sure the writers goofed (unless someone can tell me my math is wrong), I'm gonna go with the explanation that Sheppard lost track of time in there. So even though he said 6 months at the end, he'd actually only been there for 1 month.
    Can't blame him, the place did look pretty boring for a guy like him who isn't really keen on contemplating his enlightenment all day.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast