This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feli
    I've been asked to close this thread. However, we don't really like closing threads without a very good reason (e.g., flame wars, duplicate threads, etc.) since a good thread - as this one seems to be - is always worthy of staying open, even if it's only for latecomers to add their two cents.

Can you therefore please let me know why this thread should be closed rather than co-existing with the new thread or being merged with it?

Thank you!

Feli
    GateWorld Moderator
    I know that in the old Delphi forums, threads got closed when they hit 1000 posts because Darren thought newbies would likely be intimidated by the size and would not even enter the thread. A new thread was opened instead (this practice has been abandonded about 8 months ago when the Sam&Jack Ship threads got a 1000 posts in just a few days).

Okay, I admit this thread hasn't reached the 1000 posts goal but it probably would, as the new seasons start. In this very topic, it seems that reading every post is important (although after a few months, we began with the Ultimate posts and linking to them to keep newbies on track). However, I get more and more the feeling that (a) people who have been in gateworld forums for 6 months and more have only entered this thread now and not earlier because it had so many posts (my guess), (b) people kept missing the Ultimate posts because they were hidden somewhere in this big thread, and they kept asking about summaries over and over (nothing bad, but still it cluttered up the thread), (c) this very thread is in the Season One folder and will probably be forgotten fast (I know I rarely enter any thread that's in the Season 1-7 folders for SG-1, because I've watched all those episodes), (d) it got more and more difficult for me to keep track of everything, as I am doing the Ultimate posts (==summaries).

A new thread with a pre-planned infrastructure (I don't plan to open a new thread every new season, by the way ) seems to solve most of the above points perfectly for a while. I have made a new updated Ultimate post in the beginning of the new thread, so that everyone knows what we've been doing the past year, without having to read the old thread (this old thread will still be there as an archive for anyone who is really willing to read the 750 posts). I am very interested in deciphering myself, but since S2 of Atlantis and S8&S9 of SG-1 will not be on TV here in Germany for many months (as you know), I do rely on other people to make the Ancient Alphabet threads work and grow. A new thread seemed to be right.

(Should the mods decide my reasons are not good enough - I can live with it . Please merge the two threads then as cross postings are even more confusing.).
    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Feel free to keep this thread open, but please do not merge with season 2. We don't need season one discussion mixed in with season two. Why should new people have to wade through hundreds of old posts about people trying to decipher this or that in season one, when we now have all the results neatly packaged?

Comment

Ok I'll work on it today. I'm sorry it took me so long I been busy to be online. I also thought you guys might find This interesting. It's what I've been working on all week that has made me so busy besides my SGC. If all people I figured you guys would appreciate it and the staircase does in fact say what it's supposed to. I'm thinking of putting jokes or smart comments rather than gibberish on the other steps along the walkway though leading to the gate. lol What do you think?

Comment

This thread is not closed as per request of the thread starter. Please continue the discussion in the respective thread in the Atlantis S2 folder.

Comment

Working...
          X