This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ancient Alphabet (I got it!)

I bought the last DVD (R2) of S7 yesterday and while watching the Atlantis Preview I had the idea that the Ancient alphabet that they were using there could be translated into the Latin alphabet. I was right (and really bored to be willing to do this).

With that, I was able to "translate" what is written on the stairs in front of the Atlantis gate ( http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/gallery/images_11.html ). It reads (the latter lines on the picture were sometimes upside-down and cut off at the ends):

WE HOLD THE SEAS THE THRUTH
    A HEARTY WELCOME TO THOSE OF OTHER WORLDS
    VISITING OUR HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME (W)ELCOME AGAIN
    (...ABSENCEH) AS WEIGHED HEAVILY ON OUR SOUL SWEAR (E..)
    (...HOSE) RETURNING YOU Y HAVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG (ANI...)
    (...E) FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT (TAE...)
    (...AE) YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE (Y**BER...)

It's possible that this picture isn't exactly what will finally be on the show, although what I could see on the DVD is that it is at least very similar.

Woohoo! I always thought the letters were mere rubbish

Last EDITs:
    This thread will be closed shortly. The new The Ancient Alphabet (I got it!) and other alphabets Part II thread can be found here. All Ultimate Alphabet posts are there, too.

Here is a letter and numeral chart of the Ancient Alphabet (which is complete now).
    Last edited by sgeureka; 01 July 2005, 02:24 AM. Reason: Update some links, add a little information
    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Hmmm... seems kind of convenient it's in English. When I was first reading your post, I thought you translated the letters from Ancient to Lattin (which you did) and then translated the resulting Latin phrases into English. Now that would really be time consuming (and you would probably have to be very bored to do that, unless you're fluent in Latin).

Comment

Wow. you must have more free time on your hands than I do....
      sigpic

Comment

Wow, cool! Way to have too much time on your hands!
        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Too much time, or a very cool job

Comment

Wow, thats cool. Nice post. Very interesting. I always thought that was some crazy light design, but its a cool quote. I like: "FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT", thats a cool part. Nice job.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Respect the worlds, but not its people.
              *cough* Orlin and his doings *cough*

Or maybe the godcomplex kicked in.

Comment

Orlin did try and help the people. It was just that, the Ancients/Acendeds beleive they should not interact on our level, probably for fear that we would be come corrupt and evil like the Goa'ulds.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

But when the people started attacking other worlds with the weapon, shouldn't they also respect that too?

Cause otherwise they could start attacking earth for using ancient knowledge and the defensive weapon. Or the Goa'uld for using crystals...

This could be twisted and turned along time:>

Comment

Well, Orlin's people only attacked the Goa'uld infested worlds I thought? But respect for life should always be held at a high standard.

As for the Goa'uld stealing the crystal technology, if I were an Acendant, I don't know what I would have done. Look at the good and bad it has done. So I am kinda confused on that point.

Damn your twisting and turning!

Comment

I am good at that, confusing people... or making them mad.

Comment

You did niether to me, you just made me think about what I posted. So its cool.

**EDIT**: Changed coo to cool. For aAnubiSs
                        Last edited by DownFallAngel; 14 July 2004, 12:29 PM.

Comment

It's coo?!

Now you're making me mad!

Comment

Why? Why do I make you mad!?

Comment

you misspelled cool. Coo? Do I look like a chicken or something?!

Comment

Working...
                              X