Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post, Kat! I recently became a SGA fan and I was surprised and dismayed to find, not just cliques, but groups of people who seem to actively dislike some of the characters. Although I enjoy all the SGA characters, Teyla is my favorite so you can imagine what I found when I first became a SGA fan. Some of the posters against Teyla seemed to behave as if this character had reached through the television and b***h slapped them.

So far, I haven't had a problem with shippy vs. non-shippy issues, but that's probably because I've been very cautious about which threads I join, and that's a shame because it does limit experiencing the full flavor of the board.

I would love to see a general/team thread where those of us who enjoy all the characters can post without wondering if someone was going to lose his/her mind and go postal on the character(s) he/she doesn't like. I suppose the episode threads are the closest thing we have to team threads at this point.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Forgive me if I go about this wrong. I’m rather new here, so I’m not quite sure how things are done. But I’ve got a suggestion. Why couldn’t this thread become a team/general thread for both SGA and SG-1? We already have a great title and theme, compliments of Kat. We have quite a few good posts on why we like the teams (both SGA and SG-1) and think they are important to the shows. And I think Kat’s original post perfectly sums up what a team/general thread should be about: respect for all of the characters and a desire to discuss all of the character interactions presented in the shows in an environment that promotes tolerance. And since it was Kat who first inspired the idea, she should get credit for starting the thread IMHO.

As much as I love individual character and ship threads, they are rather limiting. You can really only talk about that one character or that one relationship. A team thread could also be different than the episode threads because it would focus on the characters. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to discuss all of the characters and their interactions with each other without having to worry about the various characters being bashed? We may all have our favorites, we may not all agree about certain ships or certain characters, but we can all respect each other and all of the characters if we agree to do so.

Just a thought. Please just ignore this if you think the idea is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora
        Forgive me if I go about this wrong. I’m rather new here, so I’m not quite sure how things are done. But I’ve got a suggestion. Why couldn’t this thread become a team/general thread for both SGA and SG-1? We already have a great title and theme, compliments of Kat. We have quite a few good posts on why we like the teams (both SGA and SG-1) and think they are important to the shows. And I think Kat’s original post perfectly sums up what a team/general thread should be about: respect for all of the characters and a desire to discuss all of the character interactions presented in the shows in an environment that promotes tolerance. And since it was Kat who first inspired the idea, she should get credit for starting the thread IMHO.

As much as I love individual character and ship threads, they are rather limiting. You can really only talk about that one character or that one relationship. A team thread could also be different than the episode threads because it would focus on the characters. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to discuss all of the characters and their interactions with each other without having to worry about the various characters being bashed? We may all have our favorites, we may not all agree about certain ships or certain characters, but we can all respect each other and all of the characters if we agree to do so.

Just a thought. Please just ignore this if you think the idea is stupid.
        Ive never uploaded pics... but if this is an official thread we should upload some team pics.. For atlantis the beautiful shot on deadlius with Sheppard eathing the power bar is good... but we need a good "team with Ford" pics too. And ofcourse there has got to be some great SG-1 v1 and SG-1 v2 pics (maybe the one going up the ramp for v2)....
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Great ideas, AGate Fan. But I was only making the suggestion. It would be up to other people to make it an official team thread (if people think it is a good idea). I wouldn't even know where to start and I don't even know if this is how you go about it. But if it does become a team thread, or if another thread is started, you're right - we should definitely have pictures.

Comment

When Showtime announced in 1996-97 that Stargate would appear in it's channel, the one concern that I had was-- would it be as good as the movie. Then I heard the cast line-up and since I was familiar with each one's previous work, I felt very comfortable with the show. And yes it's better than the movie.

Thru the years I have my own personal favorite characters. (and have spoken about them in various threads here). Do I get mouthy about them, yes. But the one thing that has kept me coming back and back again is the team. That's what I want to see this season and the next season-Team Episodes.

And to SGA fans. I do watch and enjoy the team interaction there too. And I have ventured into those threads as of late. I hope to do better in the future.

Thank you Kat for this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by STARGATE7777
              I kind of disagree. I think all fans like shows for more than one character BUT... it's like being a fan of a sports team. There are some people who cheer for a team and remain loyal to that team for years regardless of who plays for them. There are other fans who follow a player and will change loyalty if that player switches to another team. Sometimes a certain character is what creates the team feel and when they are not there the feeling is also gone. I'm an RDA fan and I am having a REALLY hard time liking the new SG1. But after 8 years I also consider myself to be a Stargate fan so we'll just have to see.
              I haven't been taking this season of Sg-1 particularly well either. It's not horrible, but it isn't the same as the "old days". While I miss RDA a lot -- it is definitely not the same without the Jack-isms -- I think this is only part of my reasons for my "meh" attitude about this year. It isn't only the departure of Jack but the complete change in the team feeling that we've all been talking about on this thread. I don't mind change and I don't mind new characters, but for me, the feeling of the show hasn't been the same as the one that I fell in love with way back a long time ago. I don't want to go off on any of the things that bug me so I don't offend anyone, but it is definitely a different show than the one that we started off with. I'm hoping that TPTB and the amazing actors that are involved will be able to pull through the rough patches and make us all become just as crazy about it as we were in the beginning.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Great first post, Kat!

I've always been a fan of the whole team, with emphasis on the team working together and the friendships onscreen. I have my favorites, of course (namely Daniel and Sam) but I love 'em all. And I love the bad guys as much as the good guys, too. (How can anyone HATE a fictional TV character? What a waste of time, IMO.)

I'm not a shipper, and won't go there. Guessing about possible matchups is just not my cup of tea (in RL either), but hey, if folks wanna do that they have lots of like-minded company. I used to thunk some just for fun, but it's gotten boring for me and I don't bother much anymore except to keep up my friendships in those threads. I do like a lot of the folks here. And I've found that if you talk to some of them outside of the forum they are not nearly so devoted to one character or another as you would think. (The really obsessed I won't go near. )

I do miss what I think of as the quality of the earlier seasons, and it does seem to me that there is a lack of meaningful team interaction so far this year. Some of that is just the age of the show, I guess. But I still like the team idea and will always root for more eps focused on that. SG-1 is all about "team" for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSG-1
                  Aren’t there any fans out there that actually enjoy all of the characters? ... Are there any fans that actually miss the team interaction: the camaraderie and the friendship? ... If you are a fan of SG-1, ALL of SG-1, and if you miss the relationship the characters had and yearn for more than a weekly trip through the Stargate? If you are tired of feeling as if you are being forced to choose sides or being lumped into one group or another then feel free to post your comments here. I’d love to know I’m not the only one out there.
                  Kat
                  What an excellent idea for a thread, Kat. And you started it off with a wonderful post, saying exactly what I wanted to express since I joined GW.

The TEAM is the reason why I started watching SG-1. The TEAM is the reason why I got hooked and became a fan. And the lack of team interaction, camaderie, and friendship is the reason why I am having such a hard time with Season 9 right now.

I truly consider myself a fan of SG-1, the team. Yes, I can identify the most with Sam, but I love so much about the other characters: I love Daniel's kindness and interest in others. I love Jack's jokes and dry humor (and I miss it so much). And I admire Teal'c. I could go on like this. But what I love the most is the team: All 4 of them. That's what captured me from the very beginning.

What makes it so special to me, is that we were there from the beginning, the very beginning when they met for the first time. We were there when they learned to trust each other, when they found out about each other's strength, when they learned to care and leave no one behind! That team-feeling, that chemistry is what made SG-1 so special for me.

So, yes, I enjoy all of the characters and I miss the team interaction so much!!!

Remember this one:

P.S. I just love the "All for one and one for all." How perfect for the spirit of SG-1 that I love so much.
                  Last edited by Dani76; 14 November 2005, 04:53 PM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Wow, I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who have taken the time to share their views. It's really nice to hear that there are others out here who actually enjoy all of the characters on the show.

I hope I didn't mislead or upset anyone with some of my comments. I wasn't trying to imply that anyone had put a zat to my head and forced me to choose a side. That is far from the truth; however, I have over the past few months learned that it is best not to discuss or mention certain characters in some of the threads for fear of backlash. Also I've noticed that some fans seem so involved in their own little obsessive worlds that they often forget that there is more to the show than one particular character.

I admit freely that Sam and Jack are my favorite characters. I've always adored Jack's sense of humour and perhaps because I'm female and have always had more male friends than female ones, I really seem to identify with Sam.

However, I really hate that people just assume that since I like Sam and Jack, that I spend my days dreaming up places for Sam and Jack to have their wedding. I really enjoyed the relationship Sam and Jack had in the earlier seasons, but I don't need to see more. I think fanon does a far better job of it. Seasons seven and eight to me involved way too much angst and not enough of the things that originally made me enjoy S/J's relationship: the smiles, the teasing and the friendly banter. However, I also liked the relationship with Daniel/Jack and Jack/Teal'c... so does that make me a multi-shipper?

I also think the writers did a smash-up job at diminishing the relationship between all of the characters over the past few years. Maybe that is in part because RDA's time on the show decreased and up until then Jack was like the sun on the show with the other three characters revolving around him. So with less and less Jack/RDA, the relationships between the characters seemed to diminish and the little things that used to make SG-1 so special seemed to be thrown into the background.

Don't get me wrong, occassionally we were given some really wonderful moments between the other three characters, but overall the storylines were written to involve Jack and as time went on, he seemed to become more bitter and less friendly/patient with the other characters. I guess in part that's what I have found so utterly disappointing about the first half of season 9. I really liked the character of Jack O'Neill and I was/am really sad to see RDA leave the show, but I had really hoped that with Jack gone, we would finally get to see more of the friendship/team bonding between Sam, Daniel and Teal'c and so far we have seen very little.

As far as the new characters are concerned, I really can't make a fair assessment. I'm biased because I want my team back... my original team. I know it's never going to happen and I'm learning to deal with it, but I had hoped that in the interim of getting to know Mitchell I would still have the other three members of SG-1 to fall back on. But in the first five episodes when Sam was gone, we learned very little about Mitchell and we really didn't see much of 'THE team' or Teal'c for that matter; and in the last five episodes the team members were separated more than they were together.

As far as Vala is concerned, I know some people want her to become a permanent member of SG-1, but to me she has never been a member of SG-1. She may have accompanied the guys on several missions, much like Bra'tac or Jacob have done in the past, but never did I get the impression from Daniel, Teal'c or Mitchell that they considered her to be a member of the team. In fact, in my opinion, Daniel made it perfectly clear in Beachhead that he was tired of her little shinanigans and wanted her to just shut the hell up. I understand some people enjoyed Vala's humor and crazy antics and many want her to return, and I have no issues with that. However, I do have concerns with how the writers chose to write Daniel when he was around Vala. I'm sure many fans enjoyed seeing flustered and angry Daniel, but I was not one of them. I did not like the way Daniel behaved when he was around Vala anymore than I enjoyed how Sam behaved when she was around Pete. I think both characters were written to behave completely out of character. I also felt that too much time was spent on Vala and too little time was given to Mitchell and Teal'c. Sam wasn't in Babylon for more than 10mins, so why couldn't this episode have been done earlier in the season? Instead of the Ties That Bind, they could have shown Babylon and given us a glimpse into what makes Mitchell tick earlier on and that would have freed up one more episode to be used to show the team bonding a bit more once Sam returned. Hell even something that involved Teal'c would have been nice for a change. Poor Teal'c has been pushed so far in the background this season that he might as well be invisible. I won't bother discussing Sam as much of her lack of being seen so far this season was due to Amandas' maternity leave but I do hope we see more of her and Teal'c in the latter half of the season.

So in short... I miss my team. I miss the relationships. I miss the closeness they used to have. I miss the bantering and the joking. It's obvious from Avalon that Sam and Mitchell have a friendly relationship and it's obvious from Beachhead that Sam and Daniel had kept in touch while she was away. So why are the writers so adamant about not allowing us [the fans] to see any of this type of interaction on screen anymore?? Because for me personally, it was all these little things that made the show so interesting and fun in the first place.

Kat
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 14 November 2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I will open my mouth despite the fact that I didn't watch SG-1 since the beginning and that I'm not one of those "know-every-season-by-heart" fans - not because I don't want to be, but because I didn't have the time to sit through the full 8 previous seasons and "absorb" them all.
                      As I see it now, Jack retired and SG-1 as we knew it is no more. Sam going to Area 51 or something like that , Teal'c taking care of his own people, and Daniel going to play with the new Atlantis toy
                      SG-1 was just an empty shell... two letters a dash and a number, Cam Mitchell dixit. Then we know... Sam and Teal'c and Daniel had to stay around the SGC - kinda forced IMO. Although the three had the chemistry, they had their minds set for another stuff - they were about to move on. I think (always IMO) that they are still adjusting to the new situation: not only a new team leader, but to change their plans kind of overnight. I hope the sparkle will light again, above all, for the show's sake.
                      There is always hope

Comment

great post, but the beginning sounded alot like an infomercial
                        anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok13
                          great post, but the beginning sounded alot like an infomercial
                          Laugh, yeah well what can I say. I actually added that first paragraph as an afterthought. For some reason the darn editor wouldn't except my original post, something about not having enough characters. I have no clue what was going on, but in any case I kept changing the beginning of the post hoping it would eventually accept it. Oddly enough it did on the fourth try. Oh well. Just ignore the informercial part. LOL

Comment

TEAMS rule.

Why was SG-1 the best Sci fi show for the last 9 years. Because of SG-1 the team. Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Daniel Jackson and Teal'c. How can anyone dislike any of these people. They are just great characters. Each with their own intelligences, their own sense of honor, their own sense of humor (yes even Sam and Teal'c have a sense of humor, its just understated).... Great team = Great show.

SG-A why is it just about the best spinoff on TV. Because of SG-A the TEAM.

They didnt always mesh the best last year so the start was a bit slow. But I think they have picked it up this year and through their interactions with each other we will see each ones intelligence, honor and humor.

John Sheppard, Rodney Mckay, Aiden Ford, Telya Emmagan..... Ford had to leave us which makes me sad, I liked his fresh eyed look at things but Telya was doing the "Muscle" and the "Diplomat" so that wasnt quite working. I personally think Aiden was a great marine and tactical warrior but he really could never do intimidation IMHO just because of stature (again MHO). However, I think if this team would have stayed together everyone would have found their level and it would have been a good team

John Sheppard, Rodney Mckay, Ronan Dex, Telya Emmagan. I think this is a great balanced team and may someday be as beloved as SG-1.
                            Sheppard - tatical and snarky Military leader.
                            Telay Emmagan - Civilian Diplomat, but also a leader so good 2IC (as I see it)
                            Mckay -Geeky civilian scientist who verbally spars with military leader.
                            Ronan Dex - Civilian? he was military.. Flat out Soilder that knows the enemy.

The new SGA seems to have a lot in common with the old SG-1. Telya fills the roll of Carters (2IC) and Daniels diplomatic role. Mckay fills the Carter Scientific and Daniel Snarky roles. Ronan is Teal'c (much as burns is goa'uld) and same with Shep and Jack.... The same but different. Familiar but unique. I think this team could work. Through in a Weir a Beckett with a dash of Zelenka and you are all set. Great team... fated to be a great show (if certain non actor people dont mess it up )

I love the TEAMS of Stargate.
                            All Hail Team Stargate!!!!
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                            X