S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.

Since some of us are talking ratings, I went to check and see the average for the first 10 episodes in from S6-now. And they are:

S6. 1.69

S7. 1.65

S8. 2.01

S9. 1.96

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
      S6. 1.69

S7. 1.65

S8. 2.01

S9. 1.96
      ooh interesting, i guess a lot of decisions that scifi make will be based on ratings, and looking at these, it looks like theyll most likely be sticking with the direction that S9 is taking them ie with the whole vala thing

what this means for Sam and her being in more atlantis remains to be seen, i just hope they dont replace her with Vala purely because of these ratings
      - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
        hmm, this could get interesting because if people do stop watching then scifi will have a choice to make....1) cancel the show entirely given its not doing as well as theyre hoping or 2) change the show to suit their core fan group and risk isolating newer fans

which do you think theyll do? i hope the show doesnt get cancelled, but i also dont think its likely that theyll change everything they did in S9 just to suit us old school fans

however i did read somewhere that the show this year is doing pretty well so maybe the show, as far as ratings go, isnt doing too badly?
        Sci-Fi would probably cancel the show if the ratings tank. They seem to look at only the short term. I don't have faith that the writers and producers of SG-1 will be able to fix the show. They would have to bring in new writers/producers, but it might be too late. Towards the end, Enterprise improved, but the ratings never came back.

Comment

i don't think they care if the show lasts too much longer

it is, quite bluntly, getting too expensive to make. we have cast and crew who have been on teh show for almost 10 years. and, presumably, every year they get raises. so, just pulling numbers out of the air here, the person who got paid 50K per year in season 1 could be getting paid 60K a year now.

because of this, the overhead increases every year. the show gets more and more expensive. if they increase the cast, well they increase that bit of overhead because i sincerely doubt that they aske the existing cast members to each take a pay cut to bring in someone else

i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care

teh show will die and it may or may not take atlantis along iwth it

when you also add into this mix the growinig popularity of BSG, a show that scifi owns and controls totally, stargate starts to have some things definitely not in its favor

i jsut hope we don't get a repeat of farscape in the lines of 'have a whizz bang finale and, oops, cancelled. too bad, so sad'
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            i don't think they care if the show lasts too much longer

it is, quite bluntly, getting too expensive to make. we have cast and crew who have been on teh show for almost 10 years. and, presumably, every year they get raises. so, just pulling numbers out of the air here, the person who got paid 50K per year in season 1 could be getting paid 60K a year now.

because of this, the overhead increases every year. the show gets more and more expensive. if they increase the cast, well they increase that bit of overhead because i sincerely doubt that they aske the existing cast members to each take a pay cut to bring in someone else

i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care

teh show will die and it may or may not take atlantis along iwth it

when you also add into this mix the growinig popularity of BSG, a show that scifi owns and controls totally, stargate starts to have some things definitely not in its favor

i jsut hope we don't get a repeat of farscape in the lines of 'have a whizz bang finale and, oops, cancelled. too bad, so sad'
            I hope we dont have a farscape... crpy last season with a cliffhanger ending and then cancelled. But that does look the way its going, unless TPTB are smart enough not to make S10 end in a cliffhanger.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

i really wish scifi would just say "ok, SG has 2 more seasons and thats it" because then everyone will know exactly where to take the story and give it a good ending!! grrr

what i would really want though is if Rick came back and rejoined SG-1 team for the final season. End the show the way it started. It would be very nostalgic and be a great way to end the longest running scifi of all time
              - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                Ok.

Since some of us are talking ratings, I went to check and see the average for the first 10 episodes in from S6-now. And they are:

S6. 1.69

S7. 1.65

S8. 2.01

S9. 1.96

I think the reason why there was such a large increase in ratings from season seven to eight could have been a number of things. First off, they made "Scifi Fridays" a big thing. They had new shows Atlantis and BSG that drew in more fans. Plus, since it has switched to Scifi from Showtime, more people have the chance to accidentally turn in on and say, "oh wow, this looks interesting." That pretty much happened for my whole family. I started to watch at the end of season six, then caught up with all the reruns on Mondays over the last couple of years.

I also think that the reason why Enterprise didn't do as well rating wise is because it was mainly shown on UPN. I know Voyager was also on UPN, but it switched over from I believe the WB after two seasons? UPN isn't the most popular station concerning Scifi shows. If it had been on a more flashy network like WB or Fox, I think it would have had a larger fan base. I was really hoping Scifi would buy the rights to Enterprise so that I can see all the episodes. That's one thing that sucks about going to college night classes! I missed most of the series because of them, and don't have the cash to dish out to buy the dvds. Oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care...
                  I've thought long and hard about this since the disappointing start of S9, and I have to say that I agree. It seems to me that S9, despite all producers', writers' and actors' rah-rah comments to the contrary, is just an exercise in flailing around for a direction, and the promise of S10 following the same haphazard track is inevitable. I don't believe the directions they or the SciFi network have chosen are workable for long-term success. In point of fact, in TV terms they've already HAD long-term success. The rest is just gravy. And it's true that the show is almost certainly too expensive to produce anymore. The moment it becomes so it will be gone. I don't see a S11, no way, no how.

Saying that, I can't blame anyone involved in the project for sticking around until the bitter end and collecting their paychecks. These people have worked together a long time in a (relatively) secure and stable working environment, and although they all see that the end is near, it's not quite here yet, and they still have families to feed and mortgages to pay and kids to put through school. And I'm not just talking about the higher pay scale actors and directors, etc., but the camera guys and catering and the grips and the guys who change the lightbulbs and sweep up, et al. There are LOTS more of those people, the folks we never see, who do their jobs day in and day out and are dependant upon the studio and Stargate. Another year's work is another year's work after all.

I loved the show of the past, and that show is dying. And I don't mean because of RDA leaving, or AT being absent for so long, or the emphasis on Vala, or BB coming in, I mean the scripts themselves, the stories are LACKING in almost everything that made this show Stargate. Some would say it's dead already, but I can see little glimpses of its former glory here and there, so I still watch. But the longer it goes on, the farther it seems to get from its real strengths, the team interaction and loyalty and the sense of family. THAT was Stargate. What I see on my screen now, and I fear, in S10 is just a pale ghost of that.

Somebody said something about the show now being nothing more than a bunch of people in sci fi costumes who don't seem to know each other and who don't seem to be working from the same script. With this I agree. Maybe a new writer can inject a little of the old team flavor, maybe not. We'll see. But I really doubt we'll be seeing anything labeled "Stargate SG-1" AFTER S10.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                    I've thought long and hard about this since the disappointing start of S9, and I have to say that I agree. It seems to me that S9, despite all producers', writers' and actors' rah-rah comments to the contrary, is just an exercise in flailing around for a direction, and the promise of S10 following the same haphazard track is inevitable. I don't believe the directions they or the SciFi network have chosen are workable for long-term success. In point of fact, in TV terms they've already HAD long-term success. The rest is just gravy. And it's true that the show is almost certainly too expensive to produce anymore. The moment it becomes so it will be gone. I don't see a S11, no way, no how.

Saying that, I can't blame anyone involved in the project for sticking around until the bitter end and collecting their paychecks. These people have worked together a long time in a (relatively) secure and stable working environment, and although they all see that the end is near, it's not quite here yet, and they still have families to feed and mortgages to pay and kids to put through school. And I'm not just talking about the higher pay scale actors and directors, etc., but the camera guys and catering and the grips and the guys who change the lightbulbs and sweep up, et al. There are LOTS more of those people, the folks we never see, who do their jobs day in and day out and are dependant upon the studio and Stargate. Another year's work is another year's work after all.

I loved the show of the past, and that show is dying. And I don't mean because of RDA leaving, or AT being absent for so long, or the emphasis on Vala, or BB coming in, I mean the scripts themselves, the stories are LACKING in almost everything that made this show Stargate. Some would say it's dead already, but I can see little glimpses of its former glory here and there, so I still watch. But the longer it goes on, the farther it seems to get from its real strengths, the team interaction and loyalty and the sense of family. THAT was Stargate. What I see on my screen now, and I fear, in S10 is just a pale ghost of that.

Somebody said something about the show now being nothing more than a bunch of people in sci fi costumes who don't seem to know each other and who don't seem to be working from the same script. With this I agree. Maybe a new writer can inject a little of the old team flavor, maybe not. We'll see. But I really doubt we'll be seeing anything labeled "Stargate SG-1" AFTER S10.
                    Very good post.
                    But God I hope you are wrong.
                    School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat
                      But the longer it goes on, the farther it seems to get from its real strengths, the team interaction and loyalty and the sense of family. THAT was Stargate.
                      yes, i completely agree with that. it was the team which made this show for me, their relationship with each other, that sense of trust you get with each member of SG-1, that was what made this show so special and I think theyve lost already

i remember reading an interview or something that the writers and directors have started to remove some of the more team moments, like where they smile at each other, where they show appreciation for each other. bits like that were removed to give more time to the story which i always thought was a bad decision because i thought those bits are integral to the show and what made it brilliant at the start
                      - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                        Don't get me wrong, there are a few things that the writers could have done far better.

They are bascially tied up each season by not knowing if this will be the last or not. However issues such as (or lack of) explanations to some needed situations, such as where exactly is O'Neill & not making it plain who is in command opf SG-1 to name a few. Really can be put onto the writers. They could have sorted out the leadership issues in a few lines of dialogue. Yet they choose to ignore it, most likely for fear of upsetting Sam & Mitchell fans. If it went against their preffered character.

Like I said, they do have one hand tied behind their backs each season, so this limits what they can do. However I my biggest annoyment with writers are their serious lack of following up on things.

Foothold is a prime example. Aliens invade the GSC & then manage to get topisde as well. They are finally thwarted & escape through the SG. Nothing since, No attempt to go to the coordinates of which they escaped. Surely these aliens would have went back at some point in the future.

They simply use these eps as one off wonders. Then move onto the next one & so on, never looking back. So that's the biggest thing that irks me about the whole show.
                        Don't forget that a lot of the old stories like the Ree'tou, Nox, Furlings, Foothold Aliens, and Crystal Skull aliens are from season 1-3 which had a different writing team - I guess the "new" writers (came in season 4, so they aren't really so new anymore) don't like those stories which is why they have ignored them and changed things from early seasons to accomodate later stories.

Comment

i remember reading an interview or something that the writers and directors have started to remove some of the more team moments, like where they smile at each other, where they show appreciation for each other. bits like that were removed to give more time to the story which i always thought was a bad decision because i thought those bits are integral to the show and what made it brilliant at the start
                          But how much story could they make more room for by removing some of the more team moments? 1 min? 5 min? Are those team moments consuming that much time? I think they traded something in hope they gain something. And thus doing more damage than good to the show.
                          School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1
                            Don't forget that a lot of the old stories like the Ree'tou, Nox, Furlings, Foothold Aliens, and Crystal Skull aliens are from season 1-3 which had a different writing team - I guess the "new" writers (came in season 4, so they aren't really so new anymore) don't like those stories which is why they have ignored them and changed things from early seasons to accomodate later stories.
                            I wonder if the writers from season 1-3 which later left would have developed their stories. I am also wondering if it be better if they (TPTB) would rehire them.
                            School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                              But how much story could they make more room for by removing some of the more team moments? 1 min? 5 min? Are those team moments consuming that much time? I think they traded something in hope they gain something. And thus doing more damage than good to the show.
                              i know, and thats what i mean. they cut out something which was trivial yes, but also very important to the show to make way for...what? i dunno, because like you said, you dont gain much in terms of story time, but you lose a lot in terms of emotion and relationships. so yeah i agree, it did more damage than good, i just hope they realise that and inject some of tha back into the show, wouldnt change all that much right now but itd be a start
                              - Simon

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

Comment

i know, and thats what i mean. they cut out something which was trivial yes, but also very important to the show to make way for...what? i dunno, because like you said, you dont gain much in terms of story time, but you lose a lot in terms of emotion and relationships. so yeah i agree, it did more damage than good, i just hope they realise that and inject some of tha back into the show, wouldnt change all that much right now but itd be a start
                                I hope they change their minds and reinsert those team moments. Sometimes the small things matter the most.
                                School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X