S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nem2k
    i know, and thats what i mean. they cut out something which was trivial yes, but also very important to the show to make way for...what? i dunno, because like you said, you dont gain much in terms of story time, but you lose a lot in terms of emotion and relationships. so yeah i agree, it did more damage than good, i just hope they realise that and inject some of tha back into the show, wouldnt change all that much right now but itd be a start
    I think you are both right, they have been cutting out those moments to make room for story, and losing the very essence of the show in the process. Either that, or they have been taking a heck of a lot for granted with the viewership. They seem to expect us viewers to accept what they TELL us about the relationships, instead of showing us the very interactions that make the relationships so valuable. It IS the small things that matter most, and it's those small things that have been so lacking.

For me the BEST example of doing this correctly was the scene (I think it was in Avalon) where Mitchell is talking to Sam via the viewscreen (!) about her coming back and re-joining SG-1. No plot advancement there, no story arc groundwork, no cheesy wisecracks, but plain character development: one old-timer having a discussion with one newcomer, and I think we learned more about the character of Cam, and Sam's relationship with him, in those 45 seconds of screen time than we have in 10 subsequent episodes. It just goes to show what they can do with good writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i don't think they care if the show lasts too much longer

i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care
      This is pretty evident when you take into account that the writers/producers actually wanted to make S9 a spinoff and call it Stargate Command but the higher ups (SciFi, Sony etc) wouldn't go for it. Why? Because as you said that wouldn't have given them bragging rights and that's really what it all boils down to for them.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
        I hope they change their minds and reinsert those team moments. Sometimes the small things matter the most.
        the little things like the team moments are what makes us give a damn about the characters. it's what makes us care and when we care we tune in.

just take a look at bsg. peopel cared when starbuck was in her situation, they were upset when adama was in his situation, the conflict between Lee and Adama keeps your emotions engaged and i know some folks that were horribly outraged at what happened in Pegasus (trying not to spoil here)

and if you care about the characters, that emotion draws you into the story adn intrigues you

i care what happens to Kara or Lee. I want to find out what happens to six and even Gaius. and because i care i'm intersted

right now, i don't care all that much about vala and cam. cam was at death's door in an eps and most of the folks watching didn't even notice. he went missing in another eps and...no body seemed to even notice back at the sgc.

if they don't care, i don't care. and if i don't care i'm not gonna worry about tuning in
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i don't think they care if the show lasts too much longer

it is, quite bluntly, getting too expensive to make. we have cast and crew who have been on teh show for almost 10 years. and, presumably, every year they get raises. so, just pulling numbers out of the air here, the person who got paid 50K per year in season 1 could be getting paid 60K a year now.

because of this, the overhead increases every year. the show gets more and more expensive. if they increase the cast, well they increase that bit of overhead because i sincerely doubt that they aske the existing cast members to each take a pay cut to bring in someone else

i personally will be very surprised if stargate lasts past s10. i think the only reason it's been renewed now is because scifi wants bragging rights for the longest running us scifi show. once they get that, they won't care

teh show will die and it may or may not take atlantis along iwth it

when you also add into this mix the growinig popularity of BSG, a show that scifi owns and controls totally, stargate starts to have some things definitely not in its favor

i jsut hope we don't get a repeat of farscape in the lines of 'have a whizz bang finale and, oops, cancelled. too bad, so sad'
          I just saw an article that said Seventh Heaven had been cancelled by the WB network even though it was still getting very good ratings for the newtwork. They cite the fact that the show was getting too expensive to continue but they did last long enough to make the claim to the "longest running family drama on TV" and this made me think that next year we may very well see an article that says Stargate SG1 cancelled becuase it is too expensive but it was the longest running sci-fi show in the US at 10 years, even longer than X-Files. At this point I would be willing to bet $ that it is entirely plausible that this is the article we will see next year for Stargate as it is clear in the business that shows get cancelled for reasons other than low ratings and it seems to me all skiffy ever really cared about these past few years was getting to 10 years so they can make the claim for their network PR.

Comment

the little things like the team moments are what makes us give a damn about the characters. it's what makes us care and when we care we tune in.

just take a look at bsg. peopel cared when starbuck was in her situation, they were upset when adama was in his situation, the conflict between Lee and Adama keeps your emotions engaged and i know some folks that were horribly outraged at what happened in Pegasus (trying not to spoil here)

and if you care about the characters, that emotion draws you into the story adn intrigues you

i care what happens to Kara or Lee. I want to find out what happens to six and even Gaius. and because i care i'm intersted

right now, i don't care all that much about vala and cam. cam was at death's door in an eps and most of the folks watching didn't even notice. he went missing in another eps and...no body seemed to even notice back at the sgc.

if they don't care, i don't care. and if i don't care i'm not gonna worry about tuning in
            I didnt even even recognize that it was cam lying down. I dont know if it was the lighting or what but he just looked like a random redshirt to me.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

ooh interesting, i guess a lot of decisions that scifi make will be based on ratings, and looking at these, it looks like theyll most likely be sticking with the direction that S9 is taking them ie with the whole vala thing

what this means for Sam and her being in more atlantis remains to be seen, i just hope they dont replace her with Vala purely because of these ratings

I see this whole ratings thing from a different angle - they pimped BB and CB so hard to the almost total exclusion of the lead, core integral characters that I really thought that they would be pulling in huge ratings with the influx of FS, BB and CB fans. These ratings say to me - where are all of those fans TPTB were pimping for? I have to believe that FS had to have more than a few hundred thousand fans? I think that either they lost a lot more Stargate fans after S8 than they thought they would and the BB/CB fans are just filling that loss, with a few extras thrown in, or they did not get the influx of BB/CB fans they thought other than a few hundred thousand that accounts for the increased number of households. Where are the numbers - these numbers would not make me feel any better if I were the networtk suit who had been pimping BB and CB to such an extent.

Comment

you can also interpret those ratings another way. yes, they did pimp the stuffings out of ben and claudia. hoping, i'm sure, to draw in the scapers. well, farscape did a, what, close to a 1 or its ratings/???? just a ball park

so, theoretically, if stargate traditionally got 2, and farscape traditionally got 1, discounting for those that watch both shows and therefore can't be counted twice, you would expect the ratings to go up .25 or .50 as the scapers join the stargate viewers.

but that didn't happen. the ratings barely rose. or, for almost every farscape fan that joined, a stargate fan left

now i'm not saying that this is the case, and i have no real numbers i'm just supposing here.

if scifi really thinks that by pimping the farscape angle they're gonna gain viewers, well they did. but not very many.

and, while not trying to generalize too much, if any of the scapers that have joined are expecting or wanting a reprise of the john/aeryn angle, how long will they hang around when they don't get the ship they want?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                  I didnt even even recognize that it was cam lying down. I dont know if it was the lighting or what but he just looked like a random redshirt to me.
                  i didn't either.

they shoulda made it a red shirt. i had no doubt that cam would get cured. seeing as his name is first in the credits

sigpic

Comment

i didn't either.

they shoulda made it a red shirt. i had no doubt that cam would get cured. seeing as his name is first in the credits
                    Yeah, kinda took the suspense out of it. Up until then I was kinda wondering if a bunch of people would die to prove the ori point. Once they said he was sick I knew everyone would get cured. I even knew the dead guys wouldnt stay dead.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

you can also interpret those ratings another way. yes, they did pimp the stuffings out of ben and claudia. hoping, i'm sure, to draw in the scapers. well, farscape did a, what, close to a 1 or its ratings/???? just a ball park

so, theoretically, if stargate traditionally got 2, and farscape traditionally got 1, discounting for those that watch both shows and therefore can't be counted twice, you would expect the ratings to go up .25 or .50 as the scapers join the stargate viewers.

but that didn't happen. the ratings barely rose. or, for almost every farscape fan that joined, a stargate fan left

now i'm not saying that this is the case, and i have no real numbers i'm just supposing here.

if scifi really thinks that by pimping the farscape angle they're gonna gain viewers, well they did. but not very many.

and, while not trying to generalize too much, if any of the scapers that have joined are expecting or wanting a reprise of the john/aeryn angle, how long will they hang around when they don't get the ship they want?
                      Just a point of clarification here. You're not taking into consideration all of the Gaters who left when Rick left. Without doing extensive survey's it's virtually impossible to say what factors influenced the ratings, but the argument could be made that the ratings would've gone down quite a bit without RDA, and that the presense of BB and also CB to some extent prevented that from happening. In other words, the ratings are a wash.

Comment

Oh, there will still be team moments. They'll be few and far between, but it'll be juuuust enough to convince SOME people that there's still hope and TPTB will be able to pat themselves on the back and point proudly and say, "See? Still full of team moments!"

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                          Just a point of clarification here. You're not taking into consideration all of the Gaters who left when Rick left. Without doing extensive survey's it's virtually impossible to say what factors influenced the ratings, but the argument could be made that the ratings would've gone down quite a bit without RDA, and that the presense of BB and also CB to some extent prevented that from happening. In other words, the ratings are a wash.
                          Does anybody know what a Sci-fi Channel ratings point is worth this season? I know it increased over each of the previous seasons; if it has gone up between season 8 and 9, the number of actual viewers may yet again be higher than the simple rating number would lead you to believe.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                            Does anybody know what a Sci-fi Channel ratings point is worth this season? I know it increased over each of the previous seasons; if it has gone up between season 8 and 9, the number of actual viewers may yet again be higher than the simple rating number would lead you to believe.
                            well apparently its gone downa bit from 8 to 9:

S6. 1.69

S7. 1.65

S8. 2.01

S9. 1.96

(as posted on page 3)

but thats just after the first 10 eps...
                            - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

well apparently its gone downa bit from 8 to 9:

S6. 1.69

S7. 1.65

S8. 2.01

S9. 1.96

(as posted on page 3)

but thats just after the first 10 eps...
                              Stargate started strong last year because of all the Atlantis hype. It was also in a better time slot for 1/2 the year if I recall correctly. The true comparison comes in the second 1/2 of the season as the show will be in the same time slot and all over hypieness (Atlantis, and the CB, BB, BB2 hype) will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                                Me neither.
                                I had to watch that episode twice before I realised that tha guy lying down was Cam.
                                School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X