Page 950 of 950 FirstFirst ... 450850900940947948949950
Results 18,981 to 18,991 of 18991

Default Re: S10: Critique & Contemplation

For me the problem was in the whole direction of the show, more than any individual's performance. I do think Jack and Daniel in the Shroud felt a bit--forced. Not sure how much of that was the writing and how much the performances. I haven't watched it lately, though.

"forced" covers it nicely. I didn'tt sense the same timing as before S9. I'm not so sure that it wasn't more Rick than Michael but as I at the whole Ori storyline I wasn't a fan of it anyway. Good riddance to the Ori though. Nothing like killing off your super powerful antagonists (such as they were ) offscreen. So that left of with the minions and Vala's get.
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

I think my biggest issue with the Ori is my feelings that it was a hamfisted attempt to 'comment' on real world events and religious 'wars'.

with the goa'uld, we had 'proof' that they were bad. Enslaving humans and experimenting on them, killing them ,etc. With the ori we never had more than Oma's word that the Ori were bad and were 'vampiring' off their followers. We went to war based on nothing more than the ancient's say so. Yeah, we eventually got some degrees of manipulation from the priors, but that was down the line, and after we got involved in the whole mess.

IMHO, it was just all clumsily handled. I honestly think a 'better' and more real threat could have been the lucian alliance and the rise of various minor goa'ulds. But the writers made the lucian alliance too cheesy and comical so l ost that potential enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    With the ori we never had more than Oma's word that the Ori were bad and were 'vampiring' off their followers. We went to war based on nothing more than the ancient's say so.
    "Convert or die." The motto is all the evidence we needed to know the Ori were an enemy. Sucking or not sucking their followers' power, good or bad according to the Ancients, none of that was a deciding factor: the Ori and/or their followers were fundamentalist warriors bent on galactic domination. We didn't go to war because an Ancient said the Ori are bad. "Getting involved" wasn't a choice we were given. The die was cast as soon as the Ori learned of our existence. They immediately resolved to convert or destroy us.

I think my biggest issue with the Ori is my feelings that it was a hamfisted attempt to 'comment' on real world events and religious 'wars'.
    The paraellel to real-world religious intolerance doesn't trouble me. It's a defining issue of our times. I often enjoy film that's relevant to current issues. True, it was blunt, but the story was good enough for me to overlook the absence of subtlety. I just wish they hadn't repeated "Hallowed are the Ori" so often during the first half of season nine.

Probie

IMHO, it was just all clumsily handled. I honestly think a 'better' and more real threat could have been the lucian alliance and the rise of various minor goa'ulds. But the writers made the lucian alliance too cheesy and comical so l ost that potential enemy.
    Yah, I have to say the "lucian alliance" as handled in "universe" was a bit more developed...

That doesn't mean I don't think the getting caught scene in "Off the Grid" was hilarious

I think the LA in SGU was what they had originally intended for SG1. Imagine if it HAD been that way in SG1, would've made a much better enemy than the Ori

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

IMHO, the LA had a ton of potential that got ignored for a 'newer bigger bad'.

It's just like the star wars universe....once the 'evil empire' is toppled, it can take years or decades or lifetimes to clean things up. There were books that dealt with it but the movies always gloss over it.

But I think the chaos of 'good LA vs bad LA' could have a ton of interest. Developed bad guys, some worse than others and that moral ambiguity could have made things intriguing. Instead we got OTT cliches with the Ori, augmented by ham fisted commentaries on the real world and episodes that I felt were better suited to be SNL skits than a real episode.

LA would have been a much better foe, plus Vala would have had a natural connection with that plot without having to manufacture a "superbaby" storyline with Adria

^good point.
    It would have been interesting to see the power structures out there readjusting in the wake of the decline of the goa'uld.

I also perfer an enemy they actually fight and have a chance at winning. The Ori were...what on another dimension and all powerful

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by ses110 View Post
    It's interesting how Daniel spoke up when Makepeace took over SG-1 when everyone though Jack was bad in shades of Grey. When Sam came back in Season 9 Daniel never said Sam should be in charge of SG-1. Another example of how the show missed RDA and Gekko leadership.
    Sorry that I react to such an old comment but despite the fact how much I like Daniel defending Sam, there is one thing which is quite annoying for me in the connection. I never found any comment about it on this page, so I will write it there. I do not like the suggestion of Daniel that the fourth member probably will be "someone like Ferretti." It looked as quite unfair to him. He was already a leader with his own team, we know him as a capable soldier, so why Daniel thinks that he should be demoted in the favour of Sam?