S10: nostalgia, new viewers & the progression of SG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
    That's okay, we all understand real life issues.
    Spoiler:
    And I hope you're doing okay. I've been praying for your family ((HUGS))

Welcome! Anything in particular you liked about season 10?

Personally, I loved the complexities in the Ori story arc. I think it was thematically a much richer and deeper story line. I simply don't understand the people who claim that season 9 and 10 were too light and filled with over-the-top humor. Did they not notice the dark themes in the Ori storyline? The reason I think it's more complex than the Goa'uld is that the Goa'uld were just pretending. Everyone knew that. It was just manipulation, and the Goa'uld were cruel and selfish, but that was it. They had no other motives. With the Ori, the issues aren't as clear. They are powerful, they are more knowledgeable. So it deal with how power should be used. Can that kind of power be used without being abused? And another interesting question... what if the Ori had been ascending their followers? If that was the case, then it would be harder to say that the Origin was wrong or entirely bad. As it is, they admit that there are good teachings in Origin, it's just the crusading and slaughtering part that's wrong. So basically, I feel like there are a lot more shades of gray with the Ori than with the Goa'uld. And it really helps us look the nature of belief. What does it mean to believe something, and how do you apply your beliefs. Very interesting themes.

Anyway, I think we should still continue our re-watch and discussion here, but for the next two weeks I'm going to be pretty busy, so I might not be stopping by here very often.
    Thanks, Kentkhawes. *hugs*

Spoiler:
    I've been doing okay, considering. It still kind of seems unreal.

I completely agree with you about the Ori storyline v. the Goa'uld. As a writer, I think seasons nine and ten were much better written than the earlier seasons, even though I love all the seasons. They hit their stride in seasons nine and ten with the storytelling, and I think that those same years were the best for Atlantis (seasons 2 and 3).
    sigpic
    Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
    I'm a 60%er!
    ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

In honor of being the only person in the "critique" thread who genuinely loves seasons 9 and 10, I have decided to start this thread!

I told you that story so you could tell me some other one!

Comment

There already is a thread like this.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
          In honor of being the only person in the "critique" thread who genuinely loves seasons 9 and 10, I have decided to start this thread!

I told you that story so you could tell me some other one!
          Welcome to our club! It's been kind of quiet round here lately (although once upon a time we were planning to re-watch season 10... guess everyone got too busy with other stuff).

So, why do you like season 10 (and 9)?

Personally, I saw a few problems early in season 9, but I think that season 10 was one of the strongest seasons when it comes to the writing - story arcs, character development, interesting and complex themes... season 10 has so much to offer. I think the complexities of the Ori as a villain (because they are absent, because they can't be reasoned with, and because their followers are not all in 100% agreement with each other) made for much stronger storytelling and more complex themes than we had seen in some of the previous seasons. I've heard people say that the Ori are just a big walking cliche, but that just makes me laugh, because they aren't any more cliche than the Goa'uld. Hmmm... over-the-top, over-dressed, gold-bedecked, power-hungry aliens with no motive besides greed... They're basically Bond villains! Don't get me wrong, I like the Goa'uld (and I find James Bond movies infinitely amusing ), but the Ori provided more opportunity for a deeper exploration of some serious issues, including fundamental questions like "what is the basis of faith?" And in season 10, I thought we'd finally regained the team feeling that was lost in season 8 (and parts of season 4, 6, and 7). The Quest is a perfect example of a true team episode. And even when some of the characters disagree, they still behave as a team (rather than the loosely connected bunch of individuals we saw in season 8).

So that's my opinion. I love season 10. Great teamy fun.
          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Welcome to our club! It's been kind of quiet round here lately (although once upon a time we were planning to re-watch season 10... guess everyone got too busy with other stuff).

So, why do you like season 10 (and 9)?

Personally, I saw a few problems early in season 9, but I think that season 10 was one of the strongest seasons when it comes to the writing - story arcs, character development, interesting and complex themes... season 10 has so much to offer. I think the complexities of the Ori as a villain (because they are absent, because they can't be reasoned with, and because their followers are not all in 100% agreement with each other) made for much stronger storytelling and more complex themes than we had seen in some of the previous seasons. I've heard people say that the Ori are just a big walking cliche, but that just makes me laugh, because they aren't any more cliche than the Goa'uld. Hmmm... over-the-top, over-dressed, gold-bedecked, power-hungry aliens with no motive besides greed... They're basically Bond villains! Don't get me wrong, I like the Goa'uld (and I find James Bond movies infinitely amusing ), but the Ori provided more opportunity for a deeper exploration of some serious issues, including fundamental questions like "what is the basis of faith?" And in season 10, I thought we'd finally regained the team feeling that was lost in season 8 (and parts of season 4, 6, and 7). The Quest is a perfect example of a true team episode. And even when some of the characters disagree, they still behave as a team (rather than the loosely connected bunch of individuals we saw in season 8).

So that's my opinion. I love season 10. Great teamy fun.
            Nicely said, I agree…you make some valid points
            S10 ranks 2nd or 3rd within my 'most favourite seasons', while S9 ranks near last. Even though I still like S9, it ultimately misses something vital that I have never been able to quite put my finger on. Possibly, it lacked direction (especially the first three-quarters)...the arc was somehow unclear, there was no real goal...we were basically getting our asses kicked without a plan. Not only that but when Jack left, a void remained in his place. I felt that Vala filled a large portion of that gap when she joined the cast in S10 by replacing some of the comedic relief that was lost. (BTW I fully support S9, I still think it was good...just missing something)
            sigpic

Comment

I think for me Season 9 and 10 as a whole were a decent storyline, I think the Ori were so different from the Goa'uld in that they were Ancients who wanted to impose their will on everyone and if you didn't like it, you were to be destroyed, where as the the Goa'uld just wanted you to rule you and seemed to nly kill as and when. Plus the shaking up on the characters was a good thing, while I'll always miss RDA O'Neill I think adding Ben Browder as the lead was good as he brought a different type of leader to O'Neill and adding Claudia Black as well was good as she really stole every scene she was in

Comment

I really liked the overall story of seasons nine and ten as well. I must admit that I never really cared for the Goa'uld or the Tok'ra. The Goa'uld just seemed kind of silly to me (with a few exceptions like Osiris, Niirti, Heru'ur, and some versions of Anubis). The Tok'ra as a concept was OK, but I thought they were rather dull on screen.

I loved the first three episodes of season nine. After that, the rest of the season was kind of hit and miss for me as they settled into the new dynamic, but I think the first season was pretty hit and miss as well. I really like Cam, but I do think his introduction was a bit rough. One episode I was surprised I liked as much as I did was "Collateral Damage". I fully expected to be bored to tears by that one but instead found it very interesting. My husband remarked the same. I think that's when I was won over by Ben Browder. By the season finale, I was thoroughly engaged with the battle in a way I never was against the Goa'uld.

I now find that I rewatch season ten more than any other season. My 11-year-old daughter just said today: "They canceled SG-1 just when it was getting good!" While I think I'd reword that to "just when it was getting good again", I must say I agree with her completely. The majority of season ten is just a joy to watch for me. Sure, there are a couple of episodes I don't care if I never see again, but that's true for every season.

Comment

I am currently re-watching Season 10 with my fiancee right now, and I am reminded each episode just how good a season it was. In many ways, it was one of SG-1's best IMO. So far, she feels the same way about it.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Hey, I am so sorry I didn't rewatch with you guys like I said I would.
                    sigpic
                    Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
                    I'm a 60%er!
                    ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Iawen View Post
                      Hey, I am so sorry I didn't rewatch with you guys like I said I would.
                      That's okay. We all kind of got distracted and our grand plan to re-watch stalled in the middle. Such is the way when RL attacks.

But there are still people here who love season 10 (and I always get excited when this thread shows up in my subscriptions. Seriously, I almost start jumping up and down in excitement. "YES!! More love for season 10! Woohoo!" ).

Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

That's okay. We all kind of got distracted and our grand plan to re-watch stalled in the middle. Such is the way when RL attacks.

But there are still people here who love season 10 (and I always get excited when this thread shows up in my subscriptions. Seriously, I almost start jumping up and down in excitement. "YES!! More love for season 10! Woohoo!" ).

LOL!! I love season ten too. I can never decide if nine or ten is my favorite season.

I love the smilies with Cameron and the sword. Makes me laugh SO hard.

!!!
                        sigpic
                        I'm a 60%er!
                        ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

I'm rewatching season ten right now. Man, I love it. I think season ten is the strongest season--it has very few weak(er) episodes.
                          sigpic
                          I'm a 60%er!
                          ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

I certainly agree.

Comment

I still think very highly of Season 10. IMO, SG-1's final season more than exceeded my expectations. I was very sad when it ended.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X