As DigiFluid points out in another thread, there are 725 episodes of Star Trek. What are your top five (any series, every series, whatever) and why? I don't think this has been done (I did a search and found: best series, best movie, favorite DS9 ep, etc., but not favorite or best episodes Trek-wide). Of course, my search skills aren't the best, so I could be wrong.
Anyway, my favorites are:
1. The Inner Light (TNG) - What a beautiful episode! I can't believe how much they managed to pack into one episode. Picard living an entire life on a dying world with all the emotion and pathos one can imagine; the innovate way a race long gone managed to make sure they would not be forgotten. Wonderful acting! I can't watch this episode without crying.
2. The Trouble With Tribbles (TOS) - Now this is the way humor should be done! Sure, there are plenty of funny episodes, but this one led the way and it's one of my favorites.
3. I, Borg (TNG)- A gripping exploration of what it means to be human and dealing with enemies, redemption, and other great stuff.
4. Mirror, Mirror (TOS)- The first of the alternate universe stories. Wow, what can I say, it was just marvelous.
5. The Best of Both Worlds (TNG parts 1&2--cheating, I know) - What a grand, sweeping episode. It had a seemingly unstoppable enemy, political intrigue, great characters, wonderful plot twists. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
My list is limited somewhat, because I haven't seen much of DS9 or Enterprise and I haven't seen Voyager (or the Animated Series) enough to really have the episodes stick in my mind. On any given day, my list could change--there are just so many good episodes.
If you need some suggestions, here is a website that lists a top 50:
I wish we could do a Trek-wide best episode tournament, but I don't think we have the time or people to make it happen. Oh well, I'll have to settle for the "Best of Seasons 1-7 Stargate Episodes" thread.