X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's already a thread about this:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15216

Actually, it looks like a couple of threads have already been merged into that one. Looks like it's time for one more.

Comment

This truely sux, why do this soo late in the development? I think it's ridiculous and they need to sort themselves out. I'm starting to wish a bigger company had got the rights even tho i thought the screenshots and fottage looked really good.

Comment

Its not dead, the publisher has given up on it, they will find a new publisher and release it through that but will proberly have to make alot of changes given what thier current publisher has done.

Comment

Originally posted by jannagalaxy
          I was really really looking forward to this game and even bought a XBOX to play it on.

I'm just so fed up!
          Guys, I'm as big a fan as any of you of the series... but I'll tell you this, JoWood are NOT a quality production house. I can't think of a single game that has had their name on it that wasn't absolute rubbish.

Saying that, I wasn't at E3, and I only saw the occasional screen clip of what the game was looking like, but for JoWood to say the game was bad... it had to have some terrible issues.

Personally, I hope Sony/MGM now see the value in the title as well as the interest, pull it back from JoWood and let a quality house do it properly.

Stargate SG-1 deserve so much better than JoWood it isn't even funny.

Comment

In reading the article on GW's home page, I'm glad they scrapped it. If it was'nt gonna meet the shows standards of excellence then it was time to find someone else that can make it a great game it deserves to be!.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

god, that really sucks, now its possible that there wont be an sg game. we can only hope that some other company will pick it up.
              ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Ah no! I cant belive it!
                Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                LOVE HIM-> DT
                ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Even if this game get's canceled...or takes forever to come out..you KNOW they already have plans for more. Even if they haven't breathed word of them yet. It's a franchise..and like any franchies they are gonna wanna pump stuff into all corners of the market...but since they are doing it with quality in mind, it may take longer for good games to come out.

I'd rather see something along the lines of Half-life 2...where the story is very involved...you feel like you are in a movie.
                  It feels good to be alive.
                  Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I highly doubt they're pulling it because it doesn't meet quality standards. Any proper project would have had status updates regularly and there's just too much that's been done for me to truly believe that it's because it doesn't meet expectations. I mean, the publisher would have at least had an idea of what was being done in the game.

More likely, they want to release a game on next-gen consoles and so they just didn't want to pay for this game anymore. So they use the quality excuse to make the developer cough up the development funds for this game. Then, they'll contract someone else to do the next-gen version of it. Basically, they spent money on this game and they don't want it anymore because they feel they can make more money with another game on next-gen consoles. It's not about the quality of this game, it's about how to stop development of it and not have to spend a dime for work already done.

Comment

I think there may also be other reasons behind the move apart from quality... the plot of the game is a little dated (it features Nuby as the main bad guy and apparently O'Neill actually makes an appearance!).

As a game developer myself, I can only say it's a damned good thing that a publisher (JoWooD is NOT the developer of this game, only the publisher) has finally realised that a lump of dog feces wrapped in nice shiny packaging is still just a lump of feces. Too may developers are relying on IP branding without actually consider the most important part of the game, which is the gameplay.

Take a look at the majority of licensed content out there. 99% of games based on movies and TV shows are 3rd-rate FPS' with no originality in them whtasoever. In my (professional) opinion, SG1:Alliance would have been another low-quality FPS in relying on the brand name, but ultimately unding up in the bargain basement in under a fortnight.

As to what sort of game I think should be done, something similar to Rainbow Six/Ghost recon/Conflict: Desert Storm would be perfect. Not just another generic FPS, but a team-based tactics game.

Comment

Hello. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the franchise, I just googled for the biggest Stargate fansite on the web. I'm a cost-analyst that works for JoWood; my job consists of working out how much a project will cost, then grovelling to management to try to get a large enough budget. First, let me bring you up to speed on JoWood. Anyone who's bought one of our games knows we make woefully inferior, poorly funded crap; with little to no support after the game comes out. The management are totally clueless, as in completely out to lunch. JoWood has fallen on hard times and are always on the lookout on ways to reduce costs (of course the idea of actually improving our games never occurred to them). Why am I slagging them off? Well I've just got a job offer from a much better company so to hell with them.

Do you know why SG:Alliance was really cancelled? It's because some poor simpleton signed a contract stating that should the project not meet our standards, we reserve the right to renege on the whole deal. What's more, they'd have to reimburse us for all the money we invested and release all the assets associated with the project (i.e. the game). We planned to renege on the contract from the beginning. Don't you see, we have the developer make us the game for nothing. Once the game reached a certain point in development we'd say it wasn't up to spec and now not only do they have to hand over the game, but the developer has to pay us for all the money we spent on it.

How do you justify what they did to Perception? They're a low-budget developer, now saddled with a million dollar debt. That's lives ruined, not to mention all the people who will probably lose their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Delko
                          Hello. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the franchise, I just googled for the biggest Stargate fansite on the web. I'm a cost-analyst that works for JoWood; my job consists of working out how much a project will cost, then grovelling to management to try to get a large enough budget. First, let me bring you up to speed on JoWood. Anyone who's bought one of our games knows we make woefully inferior, poorly funded crap; with little to no support after the game comes out. The management are totally clueless, as in completely out to lunch. JoWood has fallen on hard times and are always on the lookout on ways to reduce costs (of course the idea of actually improving our games never occurred to them). Why am I slagging them off? Well I've just got a job offer from a much better company so to hell with them.

Do you know why SG:Alliance was really cancelled? It's because some poor simpleton signed a contract stating that should the project not meet our standards, we reserve the right to renege on the whole deal. What's more, they'd have to reimburse us for all the money we invested and release all the assets associated with the project (i.e. the game). We planned to renege on the contract from the beginning. Don't you see, we have the developer make us the game for nothing. Once the game reached a certain point in development we'd say it wasn't up to spec and now not only do they have to hand over the game, but the developer has to pay us for all the money we spent on it.

How do you justify what they did to Perception? They're a low-budget developer, now saddled with a million dollar debt. That's lives ruined, not to mention all the people who will probably lose their jobs.
                          O_O

What kind of human being would do this!?!?! If this is the full truth, then I might just have to go and kill some people... Those evil money-craving cruel *******s!

Excuse me while I go expel my rage onto an unsuspecting punching bag....
                          sigpic
                          In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Whoa if that really happened then it sux big time!

I wonder if anyone from Perception can offer their insights into what happened, and confirm whether the JoWood 'screwed them' explanation is true.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taonas
                              O_O

What kind of human being would do this!?!?! If this is the full truth, then I might just have to go and kill some people... Those evil money-craving cruel *******s!

Excuse me while I go expel my rage onto an unsuspecting punching bag....
                              I wouldn't put any stock in this post. Just doesnt sound right.
                              That said I had never really even heard of jowood before so if the fanchise were to go to another company I would be quite happy but I think there is already a better thread on that.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

As someone who has worked in the IT industry, this sounds totally true to me. Why on Earth would JoWooD really care if it wasn't a great game? Answer: They wouldn't. They'd be all about the money. Look at the games they've released, they're games that you've never heard of: Clicky Clicky

Certainly don't seem like a top-notch game publishing company to me. Now look at the screenshots of Stargate SG-1: The Alliance. Clicky Clicky

Isn't that pretty? It looks great. Think about that for a second, it looks great. JoWooD wouldn't give a **** about anything else, that game is going to sell well, and they are a COMPANY, their whole goal is making PROFIT. So if someone who is a little too trusting, or is just a fool, signs such an agreement, a woeful and corrupt company such as JoWooD is unethical enough to take advantage of it.

Would not surprise me in the least.

Comment

Working...
                                X