No announcement yet.

The Sentinel (520)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about Henry Gibson. I was surprised to see how young he was (comparatively speaking) when he did that MacGyver role.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Cluas View Post
      After re-watching this episode, I realized that Teal'c must have some special unknown super- powers. He should have been wiped out with the rest of the Jaffa and Lord Svarok
      The Sentinel "feels" it, if you're a good Jaffa.

Comment

Originally posted by AlmostAntique View Post
        The Sentinel "feels" it, if you're a good Jaffa.
        Yeah, that must be why

Comment

Wasn't Teal'c inside the cave? Maybe the Sentinel didn't work inside.
          CARPE DIEM
          ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
            Wasn't Teal'c inside the cave? Maybe the Sentinel didn't work inside.
            Aha, so that's why

It's a bit of a boring episode, I agree. I also don't like any of the sets they used. I think one of the first episodes I could feel they just were making a TV show on Earth rather than being offworld

Comment

Hello everyone.
              I'm surprised that this ep getting such bad reviews.
              I just watch it and it's very good. (it was one of the episodes I never rewatched, so I only watched it once over 10 years ago)

So first of all we get cool attack on jaffa through the stargate.. How many times in SG-1 we saw that kind of attack ? Just two times including this episode. Another one was on female jaffa word, but this one was much better with meat.

Secondly we have a continuation of the previous story, rough NID agents. It's nice that creators used that, and don't just cut the topic, we saw the consequences of their action.. In small cell all chained up, 24 guard on death row, and this people just wanted to serve their country. They didn't do that for money or something. They really wanted to protect Earth, and got death row for that. What kind of justice is that ? Good topic on which viewers can discuss. Even Danny was surprised, when he heard about death row.

Then we have completely new world, with foreign technology of unknown species and new race. It's nice to hear that breaking the force field is over 40h job, that it's not simple. It's good to see something more realistic than typical SG content where Carter breaks force fields, or configures alien computers in no time. In this ep she was just a soldier, not some super genius.
              It's nice to see that members of SG are not superheroes, killing millions of jaffa with a P90, or having incredible luck.
              O'Neill surprised by the Jaffa captured and tortured. SG-3 informing that they will be unable to hold the gate and Hammond telling them to go back instead sending reinforcements. Swarog bombarding the city instead be wiped out just when he exit hyperspace in exact time when SG manages to fix the weapon.
              This episode was more realistic then most of sg episodes. It was nice to see something like that in SG-1.

Also little things like Give me your Berreta instead give me your weapon. Or some humor, like Daniel asking where the bullets go while holding a knife. Not mentioning name of the goauld. But it only applies to me, because in my native language he's name sounds almost the same as cottage cheese No kidding.

On the downside.
              Big city and yet we only saw, two people. Not counting this keeper figure.
              Weapon hidden under stock of fallen trees for 300 years. Seriously ? I understand low budget but c'mon. Some cave would do the job, or something like that.

Some users complain about Tealc not being killed by the weapon. Why is that ? Nobody said how this weapon work, and who built it.. We know it requires man to activate. I assume that man itself control the weapon. This keeper figure wanted to touch weapon in order to kill the nid agents.. So it safe to assume NID agent choose who to kill.

I really like the idea of somebody that is furlings tech. Maybe creators though the same and wanted to go back to this episode in the future.

I think that covers it take care.

Comment

This was a so-so episode. It had an interesting premise with the folks from NID causing trouble, but it sort of fell flat in execution for me. I just didn't feel engaged with the NID folks, I am guessing it is because I skipped Shades of Grey this rewatch.

So, do you think that the Sentinel skipped over Teal'c because we was within the force field around the Sentinel?

Comment

In case no one is aware, the H&I (Heroes & Icons) channel is airing The Sentinel on Saturdays.
                  Total syffy posts: 36,690
                  (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                  Matthew 5:9

Comment

I had no idea that channel existed until just now, and sure enough I have it. Thanks!

Comment

Oh boy... this episode is a sure missfire.

There's nothing to catch onto and hold that flitting attention. I felt it was slow and boring and I couldn't care less if Greeves or Kershaw lived or died. Or that the Latonan people lived or died.

The sooner we forget about it, the better. Even Daniel's joke about where the bullets went into his knife was like... who cares, dude, just move.

Nope, nope, nope...

How would you rate SG-1's "The Sentinel?"

Excellent
                      Good
                      Fair
                      Poor
                      Terrible
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I felt pretty much the same way, FH. I am so glad that I am not alone in that opinion.

Comment

I have an affection for this episode because of Henry Gibson. I suspect, however, that I am quite a bit older than either FH or Beth, so you wouldn't share that affection.

I am irked that they didn't bring back original actors from the Shades of Gray episode.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I did recognize Henry Gibson. I just don't like the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              I have an affection for this episode because of Henry Gibson.
                              Is he the old dude? Cause I thought he looked funky.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                Is he the old dude? Cause I thought he looked funky.
                                Yes. He's the old dude who refused to cooperate. He was one of the cast on "Laugh-In" many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X