This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin

right i just need something clearing up. to travel in a 3-D space, you need 7 points; 6 co-ordinates and a point of origin. on a stargate in our galaxy, i think we all have the same co-ordinates, but a different point of origin, am i correct? right then if i am (not sure if i am), then how does a gate work if the point of origin changes; say like you took the gate from earth and put it on another planet? would it stilll work? because you are at a different point in space. im jus tryin to clear something up, so if im wrong tell me please.

torlin

The gate can probably sense where the PoO is when it dials, however, you have to put it in just...err...because.
    sigpic

Comment

If you move the buttons on your phone, does the 9 still dial a 9? Nope, they're just buttons:> I guess the gate is the same. Otherwise it would be a problem to move gates from planet to planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ascended
        right i just need something clearing up. to travel in a 3-D space, you need 7 points; 6 co-ordinates and a point of origin. on a stargate in our galaxy, i think we all have the same co-ordinates, but a different point of origin, am i correct?
        Actually a POO doesn't depend on the gate, it depends on where the gate is, hence the name "Point" of origin. POO's can appear on other gates and not used as a POO (Bedrosian gate in "New Ground"). The unique symbol on a gate is not always the POO, it just tends to follow that rule as most gates are not moved from their original planet (on which the unique did act as a POO).

right then if i am (not sure if i am), then how does a gate work if the point of origin changes; say like you took the gate from earth and put it on another planet? would it stilll work? because you are at a different point in space. im jus tryin to clear something up, so if im wrong tell me please.

torlin

If you move the gate to another planet. If you want to follow the phone analogy (which is weak in some areas, you don't have to dial your home number to call someone), it would be like taking your phone to a neighbor's house and hooking it to their phoneline. If someone wanted to call that particular phone, he would have to dial your neighbor's number now.

The gate would work as long as the POO exists on that gate, as gate symbols vary slightly from gate to gate for the purpose of making more POO's at the expense of losing portability.
        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

The 6 chevrons are unique; some can be shared, but all cannot. The POO is related to the planet you're dialing from, not to. So, that has be have unique coding in the DHD (but not a unique symbol as someone else pointed out).

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
          ~Imzadi
          describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
          Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

right thanks alot every1, even tho im still not quite sure, but im sure il work it out!

torlin

Comment

What does the point of origin on the Atlantis gate look like ?
              sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Is it fair to say that every planet would have a different code and Point of Origin?? The gate doesn't really have a code in itself. Remember in Season One on the mothership they gate to what they thought was a planet? But after it turned out to be a ship and those coordinates didn't work anymore. However after they got to Earth Daniel Jackson gated out of the ship using Earth as a Point of Origin.
                Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                Mayboune: *shrugs*
                - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                  Is it fair to say that every planet would have a different code and Point of Origin?? The gate doesn't really have a code in itself. Remember in Season One on the mothership they gate to what they thought was a planet? But after it turned out to be a ship and those coordinates didn't work anymore. However after they got to Earth Daniel Jackson gated out of the ship using Earth as a Point of Origin.
                  The gate probably didn't dial because it was in hyperspace, and the wormhole needs to actually 'tunnel' through hyperspace, with each aperture in normal space. A point of origin should theoretically work anywhere.
                  sigpic

Comment

right i just need something clearing up. to travel in a 3-D space, you need 7 points; 6 co-ordinates and a point of origin. on a stargate in our galaxy, i think we all have the same co-ordinates, but a different point of origin, am i correct? right then if i am (not sure if i am), then how does a gate work if the point of origin changes; say like you took the gate from earth and put it on another planet? would it stilll work? because you are at a different point in space. im jus tryin to clear something up, so if im wrong tell me please.

torlin
                    Actually space is in 4-D, 3 spacial - 1 temporal...
                    As to your question, no the gate would not dial if moved from it's P.O. It is set to connect to specific coordinates, with chevron 7, 8, or 9, being the P.O. The stargate would have to be reset each time it is moved, I believe this is done by the DHD device, sort of like telling the post office what your new address is so you can receive your mail...I think!!
                    THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
                    AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
                    AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                      As to your question, no the gate would not dial if moved from it's P.O. It is set to connect to specific coordinates, with chevron 7, 8, or 9, being the P.O. The stargate would have to be reset each time it is moved, I believe this is done by the DHD device, sort of like telling the post office what your new address is so you can receive your mail...I think!!
                      I disagree - as Stargate Agent already stated, Daniel was able to dial to the Alpha site once Apophis' ship was sufficiently close to Earth.

The PoO symbol on each gate is generic, aside from the symbol; that is, you could take the 'gate from "Gamekeeper," to Earth and it would work fine, provided you used the PoO glyph.

If MGM/Sci-Fi had the budget, each 'gate/DHD would have a unique PoO; unfortunately, we see other glyphs and the earth PoO symbol used frequently. It's the same situation as post-Nemesis, pre-Redemption - the 'gate in the SGC should have had the Antarctic gate PoO glyph (the circle with the line under it); however, budget restraints (or production oversight) kept the "A" symbol on the 'gate instead.

The Ancients would not have built a network of Stargates with the demonstrated flexibility to not only be moved but be used without a DHD, but require the DHD for "reset" purposes.
                      "So are we taking your car or mine, or am I just gonna follow you?"
                      Daniel Jackson - "Affinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-El
                        yes erm mister smarty pants, look wot i actually said ' a 3-D space' i didnt say space was 3 dimensional...look in the stargate movie, daniel jackson will draw you a diagram

and you can have other dimensions where only mathematics can explain...so get it right dude...(eg 9th dimensional spontaneous matter creation)

anyways back to the discussion...would y'all agree that a point of origin could also apply to a particular gate and not its co-ordinates? like we have that triangle shape with a line and a sun, that could be our point of origin,and be our gate...you could move the gate but it wud keep its POO address? so the point of origin could be inside the gate; werever u moved the gate it would still work because it would still be designated as earths gate!?! oh i dont kno what could be right anymore.......i dont think the developers thought we would discuss it in this much detail!

Comment

anyways back to the discussion...would y'all agree that a point of origin could also apply to a particular gate and not its co-ordinates? like we have that triangle shape with a line and a sun, that could be our point of origin,and be our gate...you could move the gate but it wud keep its POO address? so the point of origin could be inside the gate; werever u moved the gate it would still work because it would still be designated as earths gate!?! oh i dont kno what could be right anymore.......i dont think the developers thought we would discuss it in this much detail!

The POO is not a "gate name". It is the location of the originating gate. Any gate in Earth's vicinity has to use the A. It's possible for a gate to be moved and still work, it just needs to use the POO for it's current location.
                          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                            The POO is not a "gate name". It is the location of the originating gate. Any gate in Earth's vicinity has to use the A. It's possible for a gate to be moved and still work, it just needs to use the POO for it's current location.
                            Not all gates have the A. It's unique to (most) gates, but will work at any planet, apparently.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                              Not all gates have the A. It's unique to (most) gates, but will work at any planet, apparently.
                              What do you mean by "work"? The A has never worked as a POO anywhere but earth. In "New Ground" we see the A on the gate, but it's not used as the POO. A POO only works as a POO at its proper location.
                              Last edited by uknesvuinng; 14 July 2004, 09:16 PM. Reason: apostrophe abuse
                              Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Working...
                              X