This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Hand Signals

Does anyone know the official military hand signals used in the army or air force? I found a lot of joke ones when I searched the web, but im looking for actuall hand signals.
    Any help would be great.

good question, because in Stargate I have no idea what they are saying to each other when they do it

Comment

Originally posted by Baalroc
      Does anyone know the official military hand signals used in the army or air force? I found a lot of joke ones when I searched the web, but im looking for actuall hand signals.
      Any help would be great.
      I don't know if there are "officially sanctioned" hand signals in the military. I know several hand signals, but they're next to impossible to just describe. Most hand signals convey simple orders, like "take left flank", "take right flank", "take rear guard", "take point","freeze", "take three guys and go over there", etc.

Comment

i know the britsh army hand signals from my time in army cadets but americans probably have different ones

Comment

Ok, here's a fairly comprehensive list and description of the BRITISH military hand signals... in theory they should be at least similar to US ones...

1. Ready to move – Hands moved as if cranking a handle
          2. Deploy – Arm extended below shoulder level, waved slowly from side to side, hand open.
          3. Advance or Follow me – Arm swung from rear to front below shoulder.
          4. Halt or Rest – Arm raised until the hand is level with shoulder. Indicate length of halt by number of fingers. Point to “rest area”
          5. Go Back – Hand circled at hip height.
          6. Join me – Pat head.
          7. Double Time – Clenched fist moved up and down between thigh and shoulder.
          8. Enemy seen or Suspected – Thumb down.
          9. All Clear – Thumbs Up
          10. Scout Group – Clenched Fist with fore finger up
          11. Section Commander – Two open fingers held across arm to represent corporal stripes.
          12. Platoon Commander – Two open fingers held to shoulder to represent Lieutenant’s Stars.
          13. Obstacles – Arms crossed. For water obstacles, make waves.
          14. House or Hut - Hands folded in an inverted V
          15. Reconnaissance - Hand held to eye, as if looking through an eye glass.
          16. Attack – Chopping movement of the hand in direction which attack is required.
          17. Move up - Fingers spread, arms swung slowly in the direction movement is required.
          18. Form Ambush – Hands placed over face, followed by pointing to the place of the ambush.
          19. Freeze & Listen – Hand cupped to ear.
          20. O Group – Fingers together moved in conjunction with thumb to indicate person talking.
          21. Right or Left Flanking – A curved sweep movement of the arm in direction concerned.
          22. Space Out – Left arm extended in front of body, right hand moved towards it and away.
          23. Single File – One arm fully extended above head
          24. Double File – Both arms fully extended above head
          25. Arrowhead Formation – Both arms forced backwards or forwards depending whether arrow is backwards or forwards.
          26. Diamond – Arms raised above the head with arms slightly bent so that hands touch to form diamond shape.
          27. Extended Line – Arms raised to the side level with the ground indicate flank and which group is to go.

I apologise from for the lack of diagrams, but I've never had a need for them, whenever I've been instructing I just perform the signals instead of drawing them or handing out pictures...

Hope that helps.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yeah thats great Flying Officer Bennett, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!

Comment

Any time!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, thanks
                sigpic

Comment

There are some more on: www.airsoftgent.be/dbase/hands.htm
                  Enjoy!
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                  X