Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's excited about Battlestar Galactica?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first heard that this series was being made I was pretty excited. I watched the original series when I was a kid and loved it. I have taped the episodes since then from the Sci-Fi channel and still enjoy them, though I have to admit they are a lot more hokey than I remembered being originally.

That being said, whenever I heard that both Starbuck and Boomer were being cast as women I was fairly scandalized and was ready just to refuse to watch the mini-series period. However, I decided to go ahead and give it a shot. I enjoyed it, though I still had a hard time dealing with Starbuck. Not because the character was a woman, but just because of how different the character was from the original that I loved so much.

Another thing that bothered me was that the Cylons’ appearance was different that the original series. They were what made the series so neat to me when I was younger. Overall though, the acting was definitely several notches higher than the original series and the story itself is a lot more gritty than the original, which makes me really look forward to the series coming out next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
      A hope for Humanity to find home?!? *puzzled*
      The preview said Earth was destroyed, so how can they find home if it doesn't exist anymore? Besides, it's not the story that I found depressing, but the way the preview depicted it, everyone always living in the dark, no one smiled, they talked as if they were all real sad... I dunno, it just seemed depressing. Perhaps it as a poor preview? Personally, I prefer two kinds of sci-fi, one set on present-day Earth or which characters from present-day Earth and then the kind of exciting, possitive sci-fi set in the near or distant future. Basically, the bright/possitive Star Trek/Stargate style of sci-fi is more my speed.

So, those of you whom are BG fans, what's the appeal?

Comment

I've only watched the new mini-series and you're right about it being dark, but it's well written and entertaining. There planets have been destroyed, but no Earth. Earth in the mini-series is a legend that no one knows for sure really exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson

The preview said Earth was destroyed, so how can they find home if it doesn't exist anymore? Besides, it's not the story that I found depressing, but the way the preview depicted it, everyone always living in the dark, no one smiled, they talked as if they were all real sad... I dunno, it just seemed depressing. Perhaps it as a poor preview? Personally, I prefer two kinds of sci-fi, one set on present-day Earth or which characters from present-day Earth and then the kind of exciting, possitive sci-fi set in the near or distant future. Basically, the bright/possitive Star Trek/Stargate style of sci-fi is more my speed.

So, those of you whom are BG fans, what's the appeal?
          SPOILER SPACE
          umm....well...the story is suposedly that 'Earth' they lived on...and other 7(?) planets....that were destroyed by Cyclones, is not real Earth...Earht is a 8th colony on the far side of the galaxy with last humans, untouched by Cyclones, that's like a legend, and they will try to get to it....but then agian...the government....just supports this hope so ppl don't coming suicide...etc...they don't believe in Earth themselves....kinda confusing huh?

Comment

I think it's Cylons, as in "Cylon & Garfunkel" (Futurama reference ), not Cyclone Cyclonus is an evil Decepticon from the Transformers. But yeah.

I only saw the original Battlestar Galactica series. I don't know if the new one is based as heavy on Mormon symbols and beliefs like the original, but it made for some wild sci-fi storytelling, that's for sure.
            Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
            more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

I enjoyed the original Battlestar Galactica, and enjoyed the updated version equally. I guess re-makes are the rage now-a-days (1960 Oceans Eleven, 2001 version, 1962 Mancherian Candidate 2004 version). You just have to judge each show individually, and not try to compair the two. In some cases, there really isn't a reason to do a re-make, but I think with BG, there is. The original, being on network TV, didn't have a real chance at a long run. Maybe this time, Sci-Fi will be able to keep it around for six or seven seasons. I'd like that.
              Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
              O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
              O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
                I think it's Cylons, as in "Cylon & Garfunkel" (Futurama reference ), not Cyclone Cyclonus is an evil Decepticon from the Transformers. But yeah.

I only saw the original Battlestar Galactica series. I don't know if the new one is based as heavy on Mormon symbols and beliefs like the original, but it made for some wild sci-fi storytelling, that's for sure.
                i thought i misspelled it, sry, i'll try to remember, i wish i saw the original BG, i saw like 2eps and i loved it...!

Comment

Earth was never destroyed. There were originally 12 colonies of Cobalt. Earth is the "13th" aka the Lost Tribe and Humanity's Last Hope. Not 8 or 7 or 21....13.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                  [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                    Earth was never destroyed. There were originally 12 colonies of Cobalt. Earth is the "13th" aka the Lost Tribe and Humanity's Last Hope. Not 8 or 7 or 21....13.
                    That's right, DFA. In both, the orginal and the new, they never said it was destoryed, that's why they are going to try and find the Earth.

Comment

I know. I meant to quote newbie, cause he said there were 7 colonies, and that included the destroyed earth. SO he f-ed up the whole BSG storyline.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

i said there MIGHT have been more....why do pll creticise me so much?....I still got the plot right!

Comment

You kinda got it right. But the way you depectied would make it a sci-fi show about nothing. And that never works.

Comment

Working...
                          X