X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Serenity,' Come And Gone

http://syfyportal.com/article.php?id=2075

The following contains MAJOR spoilers for the movie, "Serenity."

Sadly, I think we can all agree on one thing: There will be no grand parade of sequels to Joss Whedon's "Serenity."

How much a few weeks (and a really poor box-office showing) changes things. Just a month ago, just before the film's opening, fandom was abuzz with the hope and belief that Whedon's against-all-odds comeback story would open big, launching what would become the next great science fiction franchise.

The latest figures, nearly three weeks after its debut, put "Serenity"'s take at about $22.5 million. It cost about $40 million to make. You do the math. Even if Universal makes an eventual killing on DVD sales and somehow the picture breaks even, studios don't make sequels to movies that break even; they make sequels to movies that turn a profit. (Remember, there's a reason it's called show business.)
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Aww... That's too bad... It was an awesome movie...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Curse you, public opinion!

Archer: Lieutenant Mayweather tells me we'll be arriving at Kronos in about eighty hours. Any chance he'll be conscious by then?

Phlox: There's a chance he'll be conscious within the next ten minutes... just not a very good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigadier General Pants
        Curse you, public opinion!
        Unless it has a big name like 'Star Wars' or something, most people don't care for scifi

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

That's really a *****. Good films like Serenity die, while ****piles such as the SW prequels last...It really does suck.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

eh...time will tell, there's been sequels to stuff that should never have been made in the first place..
            but the, I'm an optimist at heart *lol*

Comment

I'm still optimistic. Its made $29.4 million in three and a half weeks. In the next three months that the film is released overseas, it can make $10+ million dollars, and the DVDs are supposed to be coming out just before Christmas, so there's still a very good chance for a sequel. The US box office doesn't decide the fate of the movie-going world, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight
                I'm still optimistic. Its made $29.4 million in three and a half weeks. In the next three months that the film is released overseas, it can make $10+ million dollars, and the DVDs are supposed to be coming out just before Christmas, so there's still a very good chance for a sequel. The US box office doesn't decide the fate of the movie-going world, after all.
                um...not sure they know that....shhhhh! *lol*

Comment

So sad that Serenity didn't make box-office record after every good reviews it gets I offer my condolences
                  sigpic
                  sig.by : lilferret

Comment

I'm more inclined to think a new series would be best before a new film. Get a bigger fanbase and make it more well known. I bet scifi would want a new series.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I think we have a very good chance of having a sequel still... Yeah, Serenity hasn't exactly taken the box office by storm... but isn't there a precedent for shows that haven't done brilliant things in the box office but still managed to get sequels? The Transporter, for instance?
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Gorram it! I really hate public opinion...-begins to cry in a corner over Firefly and Serenity-

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

I find it very dissappointing that the success of a film is rated purely on how much money it turns out, rather than the actual quality of a movie, something Serenity has an abundance of and the rest of Hollywood seems to be lacking...

...Personally, if the Movie did turn enough cash, i'd much rather have a return of the series before another sequel. That way, new story arcs - as well as existing ones - can be forged and/or concluded, giving a possible sequel more latitude, as it won't have to create and conclude (to a reasonable extent) a story both inside of 2 hours...

...Plus, while a movie is only about 2 hours long, a return of the series will provide many more hours of Kaylee, Inara and the rest of the gang, which'll make for gooooooood watchin' ...
                          Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                          Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                          Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                          - Serenity

Comment

i'm slightly torn on the movie or tv show question. if they get a renewal on the show, they face a lot more restrictions than another movie would inflict. but new tv show means more material. but more movies means that joss wins, and i really want joss to win.

the fact that it didn't set the box office alight in america, as such, doesn't neccessarily mean the end. hollywood isn't really doing great business at the moment. its going through a bit of a slump and its not entirely down to what its producing. serenity (and firefly) are among the most original ideas i've seen in recent years. a sci fi western. just say that to people who've not heard of the show, and watch the look you get. then tell them what its about. then get them to watch it. now i only saw my first episode a week and a half ago, so i haven't tried to get anyone else to watch it yet, but as soon as i get through the special features, those dvd's are doin' the rounds.
                            and i'm getting anyone and everyone to see the movie if i can.

i don't know about america, but over here, there hasn't really been that much publicity for serenity. it hasn't been marketed, probably because the tv show wasn't really known over here unless you're already online and in the market for sci fi, so they couldn't market serenity the same way they could for a star trek movie for example.

word of mouth is the only way to get people to see this film, because the marketing for it sucks. even the trailer didn't do it justice. the few tv spots that i've seen were good, but they are few and far between. its made $20-30 mil, primarily through its existing fanbase and word of mouth. they are depending on a loyal sci fi fanbase, and following a sucky trek film and many disgruntle star wars fans, thats not a safe bet at the moment. that and the price of a movie ticket is daylight robbery.

anyway, i'm rambling now so i'll wrap it up by saying, don't give up hope for more. hopefully universal knows a good thing when it sees it, unlike fox, and will do the right thing with it.
                            Spoiler:

although i can't help but wonder if joss has other plans considering the fact that he's killed of wash and book. can you imagine more firefly or even another movie without them? i know river can fly the ship and all, but if he does make more movies he's gonna run out of characters to kill, and i'm not sure if i can take any more!

Comment

Though a TV series is extremely unlikely, whether a second movie is picked up or not there could be a telemovie or a mini-series (look at PK Wars). Joss is already considering that for Buffy and Angel.

Comment

Working...
                              X