Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl

Default Chernobyl

Jesus christ this miniseries is incredible. I can't believe tehre is only one episode left.

Anyone else watching it? It's not for the feint of heart.

Default Re: Chernobyl

Id seen it advertised but havent managed to get around to it yet

Started watching it last week. It is so good. I k ow a lot about Chernobyl already, and while they take a few liberties with actual facts it does a great job of making it all seem as deadly and horrifying as it actually was.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

I haven't yet heard a bad thing about this, just not sure where I can watch it. I'll add it to the neverending list!
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

HBO! (or any streaming service that can add it)

For the people who have seen episode 4

https://twitter.com/BlackSheepFF/sta...93134744252416

And also

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    HBO! (or any streaming service that can add it)
    I don't even have cable, dude, never mind the $15/month on top of basic cable that they'd charge me to get HBO
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Would be WELL worth the 1 week free trial. You could also throw in Band of Brothers, Pacific, Night Of...etc...Make the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post
    Started watching it last week. It is so good. I k ow a lot about Chernobyl already, and while they take a few liberties with actual facts it does a great job of making it all seem as deadly and horrifying as it actually was.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Honestly this miniseries is beyond reproach.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

I highly recommend checking out the accompanying podcast on YouTube. There is so much accompanying historical knowledge in it.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Anybody watched the finale already?

I enjoyed the "dumbing it down for us" part, I already knew a lot about the incident but understanding it is something else. In retrospective this incident goes to show how mankind can willingly sacrifice for the greater good, more often than not those people are on the lower level of society, miners and workers.

For the show itself, I really appreciated that they did not try to fake Russian accents and stayed within an English confine, I think it gives much more liberty to the cast and make the series look less like a half-assed parody. The setup was good, the timeline wasn't confusing and again the cast was awesome especially Jared Harris, perfect choice.

My favorite part of the finale was the scene after the flashbacks (scientists: "we did everything right"). It was great to see what was the actual meaning of this line compared to the 1st episode.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

That finale was amazing.

Top notch programming by HBO. I hope we see further such historical miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    That finale was amazing.

Top notch programming by HBO. I hope we see further such historical miniseries.
    HBO has a dynamite track record for historical/period series, both miniseries and ongoing shows.
    Last edited by DigiFluid; June 6th, 2019 at 06:15 AM.

Yeah...still waiting on that Lewis and Clark miniseries, as well as the new WWII one...
    Last edited by Gen. Chris; June 6th, 2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: LEWIS not Louis. I ALWAYS make that mistake.

The history of the world, according to HBO:

50-31 BC Rome
    1579-1601 Elizabeth I
    1605 Gunpowder
    1770-1826 John Adams
    1876-1877 Deadwood
    1910s Parade's End
    1920-1931 Boardwalk Empire
    1930s Mildred Pierce
    1934-1935 Carnivale
    1942-1945 Band of Brothers
    1942-1945 The Pacific
    1958-1972 From the Earth to the Moon
    1973 Vinyl
    1985 Angels in America
    1986 Chernobyl
    1999 The Corner
    1999 Show Me A Hero
    2000 Empire Falls
    2003 Generation Kill
    1979-2003 House of Saddam
    2004 Tsunami: The Aftermath
    2005-2007 Treme
    2002-2008 The Wire
    2012-2014 The Newsroom
    2014 The Night Of
    2018 Sharp Objects

What a wild shared universe

I won't watch this show as it has already made me emotionally upset. My Hungarian hometown (Nyíregyháza) is close to Ukraine, so I am pretty sure we had our radiation dose in 1986. My older colleagues said that strawberrry was really cheap at that summer. And since we haven't known about for weeks what has happened and even if they say the opposite, somehow there are more cancer cases in Middle Europe and East Europe (Belorussia, Ukraine, Hungary, Romania). And it is not just about unhealthy eating or drinking habits, but I believe the Chernobyl catastrophie played a role in the spreading of cancer, asthma and allergy cases.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Very possible, though Hungary was rather more fortunate than surrounding countries. I don't know if that's a wind thing or a geography thing, but you can see the fallout pattern at this old BBC link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/nn3page1.stm

What any of that means for crops and their harvesting/sale though, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Very possible, though Hungary was rather more fortunate than surrounding countries. I don't know if that's a wind thing or a geography thing, but you can see the fallout pattern at this old BBC link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/nn3page1.stm

What any of that means for crops and their harvesting/sale though, I have no idea.
    Radiation is carried by the wind indeed, it's the determining factor in radioactive fallout. Fukushima for instance didn't affect many people because the winds went mostly towards the ocean.

That being said, I believe Platschu said that strawberries were cheap is because this fruit particularly has most of it's mass in form of water, and radiative particles that fall on the ground usually find it's way into the underground wells in turn being absorbed by the crops.

Most people directly affected either died or afflicted by Thyroid cancer, which has risen drastically in the region post-Chernobyl. The saddest thing is that we will never know the full impact because you know, URSS and even nowadays Russia buried all evidences.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Radiation is carried by the wind indeed, it's the determining factor in radioactive fallout.
    Oh, sure of course. What I meant by geography was that I don't know if maybe there were mountains or hills or just eddies in the windstream that buffered the fallout largely around Hungary rather than directly on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Oh, sure of course. What I meant by geography was that I don't know if maybe there were mountains or hills or just eddies in the windstream that buffered the fallout largely around Hungary rather than directly on top of it.
    Gotcha.

I know today's facilities are supposedly 100% safe to prevent such accidents but it makes you wonder, are we really always in control? Some things are best left alone.
    Spoiler:

Hungary was still lucky then according to your map as we were naturally protected by the Carpathian mountains (which were the natural border of the big-Hungary before World War I). I have mentioned the strawberries as news were not shared with the population behind the Iron Curtain. Even childrens were not allowed to go out in Frankfurt, but the Hungarian authorities were not carrying about us. Or they didn't want to start a mass panic. You know they could have told us to take some jodid salt which could have decreased the harm of radiation. Nobody will ever admit it how this tragic event has affected millions of people in Europe and unfortunately it can include me as well... So that is the main reason that even if I have heard that this is a really good mini-series, I would rather skip it as it makes me angry.

A little off. Stalin has once said this sentence which became a famous quote: "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." This mentality is still true about the Russian mentality regarding Chernobyl.
    https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/0...ath-statistic/
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633