This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goa'uld culture.

Hey people, i've been reading the OMNIPEDIA regarding the Goa'uld taking on myths that humans have and using them to make people worship them.

Its allways been my impression that the Goa'uld caused the myths that humans know about.

Humans that were on earth when Ra was in control would have known about the other Goa'uld and stories would have been passed down.

The same with the Ancients they obviously came before the legends about Avalon and the sword in the stone stuff so they produced the myths they didn't use myths already there.

What do people think?

It's entirely open to debate, in my opinion. I think that the earliest Go'auld Ra probably hijacked peoples belief systems when he arrived on Earth and was mistaken for a god, and became the persona of Ra. The later Go'aulds simply jumped on the bandwagon and invented their own mythos in some cases, while others adapted pre-existing ones to suit their own needs.
    Welcome to the board, by the way!
    Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition

Comment

though the goauld say they created our culture in fact it was was the other way around. The Goaul used the beliefsand cultutes of the humans they took as hosts and slaves to control them and took on the persona of their deities. a Stargate mas article states there are no goaulds whose deific personas aren't base on earth religions. they learned about our culture from their hosts and absorbed it. That why daniel can speak every goauld dialect. They are all earth languages.
      Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

The Goa'uld Baal is based on a Babalonian god.

The Babalonian empire came after the Egyption empire when Ra had left and no Goa'uld were on earth or new what earth humans where doing.

The same with the chinese based Goa'uld you saw in towards the end of season 8.

How did these Goa'uld assimulate these cultures if the have never seen them, as they originated on earth after the burial of the stargate?

P.S Ra wasn't the earliest Goa'uld

Comment

Originally posted by Radley
          P.S Ra wasn't the earliest Goa'uld
          But he was the first that we know of to come to Earth and start stealing people.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

yyes but we've also seen evidence of the Goauld returning to earth in ships to take humans as slaves and hosts. A good example would be the planet in Demons (season 3 i believe it was). Most goauld culture is probably based on the culture of the first human a particular system lord took as a host. when sokar took an Egyptian host he was a egyptian god when he took christians as slaves and hosts he led them to believe he was the devil. Chances are Baal took babylonians as slaves and one as ahost and therefore he patterned himself as the god Baal.
            Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Had a variation of this conversation with the kids last week, actually, and we came to the conclusion that derivative as their 'culture' and technology are the Goa'uld seemed to vain to base their entire identities on something absorbed from their slave race. Can see them using the human need/desire for gods to solidify their control, but can't really see them changing their names and, more importantly, keeping them changed after losing all contact with earth just to fit in with a stolen religious mythology. It seemed more reasonable to us that they were at least partly the source of the myths, rather than simply pre-empting them.

Comment

Working...
              X