Lost Thread Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Thread Question

I would really love to discuss the show but I want to know the rules first ... Like, what can we discuss in the show specific threads? Can we discuss what the previews show for the following episode? Do we have to make a special thread to discuss previews? I see a lot of specific threads and none are hot and none have a lot of posts ... Is there a general discussion thread that just isn't on the first page? A place where you discuss the show in general from episode to episode without making a new thread for a new episode and can discuss previews? Would anyone post to that? Kind of like, "S2: General Discussion"?

I'm not used to numerous threads on specific topics.

Adrianne
    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

I'm pretty sure that if you're in an ep specific thread no spoiler tags are needed once that episode has aired in the US. That should include discussing the previews as anyone who's watched the ep, would have gotten the previews with it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
      I'm pretty sure that if you're in an ep specific thread no spoiler tags are needed once that episode has aired in the US. That should include discussing the previews as anyone who's watched the ep, would have gotten the previews with it.
      You would think but I know on the other board I'm on A LOT of people have a fit when you start discussing previews because :: THEY'RE SPOILERS!

Granted these are the same people that yell because you discussing the PLOT of the episode and they haven't seen the episode yet. Visiting the thread they know the episode will be discussed but it's our fault for discussing an episode they haven't watched yet.

Adrianne
      If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

There will always be some retard that bi tches because he reads spoilers for an episode that aired LONG ago. It's new to him, but not the rest of the world.

I say use your judgement. If a thread is already openly discussing it, feel free to joing. If you wish to start a thread, put "potential spoilers" in the title.
        Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
        Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

Somewhere there's a Get LOST thread which was the general discussion thread for everything Lost all through S1 and up to the point where Darren created this nifty sub-folder.

There's also a theories about S2 thread floating around which is general spoilers and speculation and mad attempts to try and make sense of it all.

And then there's the spoiler-free thread for folks in the UK.

Beyond that, you can always start a discussion thread of your own if one here doesn't suit your needs. Just make sure things are clearly marked. I think, technically, both seasons count as spoiler territory (some parts of the world haven't had S1 yet) but as long as you don't title a thread something like, "OMG!! VINCENT IS DEAD!!" you should be OK ("OMG! VINCENT! spoilers for Doghouse" would be better, title-wise).

I'm too tired to find links to all the threads right now, but I also know there's a thread in the Help section which points out clear do's and dont's for non-stargate spoilers as well as general spoiler policies in the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            There's also a theories about S2 thread floating around which is general spoilers and speculation and mad attempts to try and make sense of it all.
            That kind of sounds like 'home' for me then. I'll have to check it out ...

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            ... as long as you don't title a thread something like, "OMG!! VINCENT IS DEAD!!" you should be OK ("OMG! VINCENT! spoilers for Doghouse" would be better, title-wise).
            LOL! Have you been to my other board?
            Our thread title there is Lost Season 2: The Search for Walt. Whew! The uproar over that thread name! Especially since it was created right after the season finale for Season 1. Oh the fun.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheObiJuan
              I say use your judgement. If a thread is already openly discussing it, feel free to joing. If you wish to start a thread, put "potential spoilers" in the title.
              The reason I asked is because the episode thread has, like, four or five posts to it when I first checked. Yesterday, on the other board I'm on, we filled four pages discussing an episode no one liked. Everyone here, according to the episode thread, enjoyed the episode yet no one is discussing it beyond "It was a good episode."

I have my settings set to 30 posts per page. We went through four pages. These are hockey fans and had more to say about the episode than here ... I thought maybe I was missing something like the episode couldn't be discussed more than, "It was a good episode." We're also discussing the previews, what might happen in three weeks, and the season in general up to this point.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

See this: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=17930
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Yes, we actually allow people to discuss episodes on the ep discussion threads.

If I may make a request, Adrianne, I would like to ask that you choose your words a bit more carefully as I found your post extremely insulting. It implies, to me, that those of us posting here either aren't allowed or aren't able to discuss the show beyond parroting "Wow, what a great ep!", whereas on your board, "even" the hockey fans have more to say about it that we do.

If you'd look beyond the ONE thread you'll see that there's quite a bit of discussion and theorizing going on. Maybe, like me, folks didn't find the latest ep particularly talk-worthy. Or maybe people are letting it sink in, first. Or maybe, as Skydiver suggested, a lot of people haven't seen the ep yet or have other things going on that prevent them from posting about it.
                  Last edited by ShadowMaat; 21 October 2005, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Let's everyone take a breath please.

yes, this is a stargate board and as such you would expect a lot of the conversation to be about that topic. HOwever we have also had other show threads go on and on and on for hundreds of posts.

I think it's less a makeup of the board and more a matter of time. People don't discuss shows until they've seen them and people also have things going on

the easiest way to get a thread moving is to post in it yourself, and see if you can get others to join you

doesn't always work, but sometimes does
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianneP
                      The reason I asked is because the episode thread has, like, four or five posts to it when I first checked.

Adrianne
                      Hi Adrianne,

well it could simply be that there just isn't as many people on this board looking to discuss Lost. I do watch the show but, unlike Stargate for example, I've no interest in discussing it. If I wasn't a mod I might not be in here at all

However, there are a lot of discussions going on around here. If you'd like to get a good flavour of how things go here at GateWorld I'd suggest having a look through the discussions for other eps and shows.

As Sky says, if you don't think there's enough of a discussion going on, then have a go at getting the discussion started!

best wishes
                      Gipsy
                      sigpic

Comment

Please don't discuss the previews in the previous week's ep threads. It's fine for the up-to-date Americans, but not for those of us who watch on other countries' TV or on DVD. Thanks.

Edit - actually, it's okay to discuss the previews but DO USE SPOILER TAGS

Madeleine

Comment

First, thank you for everyone's answers/posts.

Qasim, thank you for the link. Incredibly helpful.

ShadowMaat, yeah I realized today ... hours later ... that it did sound a lot like that. Apologies for insulting you, I had absolutely no intention of doing that.

I think I've had this problem previously where only half of my first post gets read, I said, "I see a lot of specific threads and none are hot and none have a lot of posts ... Is there a general discussion thread that just isn't on the first page? A place where you discuss the show in general from episode to episode without making a new thread for a new episode and can discuss previews? Would anyone post to that? Kind of like, "S2: General Discussion"?"

You said, "If you'd look beyond the ONE thread you'll see that there's quite a bit of discussion and theorizing going on." Yes, I realize that. I havevn't checked any of them out but there appears to be a separate thread for every idea instead of just one thread for just general discussion of everything, which is what I'm interested in.

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          Let's everyone take a breath please.
                          :: Deep breath ::

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          the easiest way to get a thread moving is to post in it yourself, and see if you can get others to join you.
                          I'm going do that when I get done here but I didn't want my first post to the episode thread being, "WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO DO...!?" and find out this isn't the place to discuss the previews. Like I would have never known to use the Spoiler tags for the previews if Madeleine_W didn't tell me too.

Thanks again people,
                          Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Working...
                          X