This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
    I think the Gates were built to last and the ninth checron is probably a redundant system built in to allow upgrading of the network without replacing all of the Gates. Either that or it's used for dry-firing the Gate to open an event horizon with no wormhole for diagnostic, maintenance or emergency recovery purposes.
    i like that dry firing idea

Comment

My theory is that the chevron numbers are set by the gravitational alignment of the gate itself. Due to the method that most gates are held upwards by, two chevrons are hidden. The gate network was designed to be used with dial home devices, with manual dialing available as a backup, ring alignment would not be of much importance. The chevron number pattern is, from the botton, 8 3 2 1 7 4 5 6 9. An intergalactical dialing would not require the eigth chevron to be seen, as that would be just the point-of origin chevron. A stargate doesn't seem to have a "This end up sign" on it. Also, Nine chevrons look better than eight or seven.
      Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
        . A stargate doesn't seem to have a "This end up sign" on it.
        It sort of does... the top most Chevron is different from the other 8. It's unique on the device, in both it's shape and the fact that it goes "Ker-chunk" when the chevrons are being encoded. It probably wouldn't be that hard to figure out that that was supposed to be the top.

-IMF
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
          It sort of does... the top most Chevron is different from the other 8. It's unique on the device, in both it's shape and the fact that it goes "Ker-chunk" when the chevrons are being encoded. It probably wouldn't be that hard to figure out that that was supposed to be the top.

-IMF
          All chevrons are capable of doing that. According to my theory, any chevron at the top automaticly becomes the 7th chevron.

Comment

All chevrons are capable of doing that. According to my theory, any chevron at the top automaticly becomes the 7th chevron.
            Nooooo... I don't think so... take a good look. To my eyes, the top Chevron is completely unique. It's shaped totally different from all the other ones, it's point is open faced and is the only one that Ker-Chunks. The others are inward pointing, and completely stationary.

It might actually be a good tactic to turn the Gate upside down and let Jaffa through, then shoot them as the fall from the sudden inversion.

-IMF
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

What it might do is that it allows a wormhole to activate to a planet with no Stargate. The ancients might of used this to open a wormhole to a planet with no stargate and take the materials with them to build a Stargate.

Gatedialer

Comment

Originally posted by Gatedialer
                What it might do is that it allows a wormhole to activate to a planet with no Stargate. The ancients might of used this to open a wormhole to a planet with no stargate and take the materials with them to build a Stargate.

Gatedialer
                But if there's no Stargate, where do you go when you come out of the wormhole? And where does the wormhole go??

Comment

Nooooo... I don't think so... take a good look. To my eyes, the top Chevron is completely unique. It's shaped totally different from all the other ones, it's point is open faced and is the only one that Ker-Chunks. The others are inward pointing, and completely stationary.

It might actually be a good tactic to turn the Gate upside down and let Jaffa through, then shoot them as the fall from the sudden inversion.

-IMF
                  I haven't seen any top chevrons like that before, but what your seeing could be caused by an image being streched to fit a tv screen. I'll look into it. About the Jaffa, make sure that they fall for it. (All puns intented.)

Comment

But if there's no Stargate, where do you go when you come out of the wormhole? And where does the wormhole go??
                    I'm sure the ancients knew how to determin where to put it. Maybe the wormhole ends up in orbit around the planet. Then you send a ship through.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatedialer
                      I'm sure the ancients knew how to determin where to put it. Maybe the wormhole ends up in orbit around the planet. Then you send a ship through.
                      In the opener for Rising pt.1, a gate ship is seen exiting hyperspace (or the giza stargate) in orbit around Earth. It makes sense, so long as the ancient's (or art department's) knowledge of physics is much greater than our's.

Comment

In the opener for Rising pt.1, a gate ship is seen exiting hyperspace (or the giza stargate) in orbit around Earth. It makes sense, so long as the ancient's (or art department's) knowledge of physics is much greater than our's.
                        Sorry to keep being contrary... but I don't think it was doing either of those things. I beleive it was just passing through Atlantis's shield.

-IMF
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

It's probably some form of Caller I.D., or maybe Speed Dial.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                            just to help somme here is the reason why it isnt time travel

well i dont think that its time travel because of the way the ancients reacted to the time ship in Atlantis episode 115 before i sleep

but i still want u to think of more explanations and if u disagree with some one say so the more you narrow down the closer you get to what it is
                            Please use spoiler tags when referring to Atlantis and SG1 S6+ Episodes.. Thanks!

Comment

I still say that it's:

Reserved for Future Use.

Spoiler:
                              I mean, surely the Ancient Dialing Computer in Atlantis would have a little button for Chevron 9 dialings if it had been given a purpose yet.
                              sigpic

Comment

-IMF
                                http://www.scifi.com/stargate/downloads/img/SGD02_1152x870.jpg

The lighting is different, but it could be just the way this shot is.

Edit:

http://www.scifi.com/stargate/downlo...8_1152x870.jpg

It appears that the side horizontal lit up bars are different on the top Chevron.

It's definetly unique.

Of course, this is just a crappy scifi wallpaper, so unless we get a really good shot of the gate on tv....
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X