This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loheat View Post
    Was that explained in the show, because I dont think thats the most likely option, I think it is more likely that the gates are somewhow linked to Destiny which constantly updates its position, so that whenever that sequence is dialed it takes it to wherever Destiny is
    In a way, I find Mike's explanation more likely, because it removes the need for a transmitter in every Stargate with sole purpose of allowing it to dial Destiny.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Loheat View Post
      Was that explained in the show, because I dont think thats the most likely option, I think it is more likely that the gates are somewhow linked to Destiny which constantly updates its position, so that whenever that sequence is dialed it takes it to wherever Destiny is
      thats what the correlative updates do and they rely on co-ordinants. Destiny on the other hand is quite far away and there doesnt appear to be correlative updates, if there is then it contradicts the fact that weve been told the destiny gates are limited in range. Maybe the power boost sends a signal to the furthest gate it can and relays that info along. or maybe it contacts destiny directly and get the position to allow the wormhole to connect.

Basically Destiny itself sends the info not the gate.

Comment

Basically the 9th chevron turns gate addresses into 9 digit codes that correspond to a specific place, not an address based on coordinate system. Think there are other codes?

Like the ancient home planet, weapons depot, ultimate archive of knowledge, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
          In a way, I find Mike's explanation more likely, because it removes the need for a transmitter in every Stargate with sole purpose of allowing it to dial Destiny.
          I would imagine it would communicate using a method similar to how the communications stones work. The stones don't seem to require much power.
          The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

If it's a code does it work on every gate and does that mean that

Spoilers/Speculation "Subversion" onward
            Spoiler:
            all Rush has to do is dial it and LA would be on Destiny

Comment

I think it still needs a point of origin.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                I think it still needs a point of origin.
                Agreed.
                As far as I understood it, address was an adress, not a code. Code was the point of origin(Correct one necessary for address to work), what I mean is that when first attempting to activate 9 chevron address they used point of origin of that Icarus planet, which led to failure. Later, while being under pressure Eli suggests that perhaps point of origin itself is like a code, and that it shouldn't be the point of origin of Icarus planet (Rush even said that 9th HAS TO BE point of origin), but in fact Earth's point of origin, which worked. (Just rewatched how final chevron that locks, the 9th chevron is point of origin, same good old Earth's point of origin)

Although it is a bit weird. I remember that gates at first used to have their own unique points of origin( later that kinda died off and good old Earth's point of origin was seen on other planet's DHDs. Probaby too big of a mess/expenses to create unique DHD for all planets.). Okay. Icarus planet's gate having point of origin of it's own that just looks like Earth's point of origin is understandable I guess. But anyhow, any gate should have only one point of origin, correct? Then how come that this gate has got 2?

Comment

So why does the Antarctic gate have a different POO than the Giza gate? Both continents are on the same planet, the last time I checked.

I think "local dialing" using 7 chevrons works by locating a gate within a spatial coordinate region; I'm guessing its like a satellite uplink antenna, the gate address aims the uplink in a specific direction and shoots a wormhole in that direction. An 8-chevron address probably turns on a big power-booster and a 9-chevron address would be like uplinking omni-directionally, so whereever the gate is, it'll receive it.
                  Last edited by JoseP927; 16 June 2010, 08:13 PM.
                  The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

It wasn't different per se. Yes, it looked different, but that was because it was ancient made and that good old pyramid with sun ascending over it that we love so much wasn't in no way important/known(Wasn't it the way it was cause of Ra, representing his goa'uldy ass? Sun god and all ) while the symbol they used for POO was probably in some way associative of Earth to ancients. Anyhow, both are POOs ( ) of Earth.

Comment

The usage of an 8 or 9 chevron could be do to precision not distance.

Each time you press an glyph you update the direction where the gate has to look along with precision. I try to explain better.

In Destiny's case:
                      Glyph 1: Direction, star 15 - Precision 1 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 2: Direction, star 3 - Precision 2 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 3: Direction, star 27 - Precision 3 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 4: Direction, star 30 - Precision 4 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 5: Direction, star 20 - Precision 5 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 6: Direction, star 17 - Precision 6 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 7: Direction, star 8 - Precision 7 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 8: Direction, star 25 - Precision 8 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 9: Direction, star 9 - Precision 9 - Connect: Yes Cause: There is only one gate to connect with in this precision range and direction.

In Atlantis case:
                      Glyph 7: Direction, star 8 - Precision 7 - Connect: No Cause: To low precision
                      Glyph 8: Direction, star 25 - Precision 8 - Connect: Yes Cause: There is only one gate to connect with in this precision range and direction.

In case of Abydos:
                      Glyph 7: Direction, star 8 - Precision 7 - Connect: Yes Cause: There is only one gate to connect with in this precision range and direction.
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

I still think it is more likely an internal system ID for the Stargate Network... like, http://127.0.0.1 on our computers.

Comment

Maybe the 9th Chevron is a velocity indicator?

Maybe I am missing something here but how did we know there was a ninth chevron back in 2004? why can't there be 10 chevrons?

Comment

Because the gates have 9 chrevons, not 10.
                            You just count them. Since the gate is a circle (360º) there are 9 chrevons spaced out by 40º.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeKing View Post
                              Maybe I am missing something here but how did we know there was a ninth chevron back in 2004? why can't there be 10 chevrons?
                              I'll go easy on you because you're a probie. Pop in Stargate the movie and count the chevrons. There's 9 of them.
                              sigpic
                              ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Rush theorized that the ninth chevron was used to lock onto moving targets though.
                                "The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. And that's the theory. Nine hundred years, never seen one yet, but this would do me. (The Doctor)"
                                — Steven Moffat

Comment

Working...
                                X