Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to pick nits, but I've noticed that a great many people on this site use the word theory without actually knowing what it means, and people using words they don't understand tends to irk me.

What this entire thread is about is conjecture, not theory. It starts with you making an observation (watching the show). Then you come up with an idea (hypothesis) based on what you saw in the show.

The problem is, nobody has ever seen the 9th chevron used, thus, no observation has been made. You can't form a hypothesis without observing something first.
    If the show has never used the 9th chevron, any hypothesis anybody tries to come up with is nothing but conjecture (guessing).

A Theory is not a guess!

Theories become theories because they stand up to years of experiment and observation by others, not just the person coming up with the theory.

There should be very few times you can use the word "theory" and anything regarding stargate in the same sentence. The producers and writers change things, thus you can't ever have a theory that works.

[/Rant]
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Dude we are talking and speculating amongst over self’s, it’s not an English Language exam so who cares if the wording of some people is not spot on. But I do understand where you’re coming from its cool man just chill and go with flow.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph
        So Normal Address:
        XXXXXXY
        X-Location
        Y-Point of Origin
        The "point of origin" thing was only used in the movie. In the series, gate addresses are always the same regardless of where you're dialling from.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
          Not to pick nits, but I've noticed that a great many people on this site use the word theory without actually knowing what it means, and people using words they don't understand tends to irk me.

What this entire thread is about is conjecture, not theory. It starts with you making an observation (watching the show). Then you come up with an idea (hypothesis) based on what you saw in the show.

The problem is, nobody has ever seen the 9th chevron used, thus, no observation has been made. You can't form a hypothesis without observing something first.
          If the show has never used the 9th chevron, any hypothesis anybody tries to come up with is nothing but conjecture (guessing).

A Theory is not a guess!

Theories become theories because they stand up to years of experiment and observation by others, not just the person coming up with the theory.

There should be very few times you can use the word "theory" and anything regarding stargate in the same sentence. The producers and writers change things, thus you can't ever have a theory that works.

[/Rant]

as a scientist I agree - I think you caught me on that slip once - but the vernacular is so insidious sometimes when one converses with laymen you forget. I notice that most of my comment lacks proper capitalization and punctuation too
          Last edited by roswellgray; 16 November 2004, 09:31 PM.

Comment

i like ur thoery very much, but for some reason, i dont think it will be true. what i think will happen is if/when they activate the 9th chevron, it will be something we never ever thought of, and it will blow our minds. or it could just be for symmetry and not be able to activate at all.
            Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
              May I ask from who have you heard this.
              I read it on the net somewhere. I hope it is true because they can then develop the story lines more and go into more depth on how the Stargate works.

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
                not really spoilers but ehers some space any way for atlantis 109 home

the say that the atlantis gate is the only one that can connect to earth via the 8th symbol because it is a unique DHD with an 8th control crystal. so not even atlanstis could use the 9th symbol they would have to make a new dhd in order to use it. so either there is a 9th symbol DHD out there we havn't found yet or the acients just put it on the gate for exspantion space later.

if we wanted to test it would need to use the earth gate with a fully powered ZPM (so u know u have enough power/ more then enough) and write a new version of the dialing computer to use the 9th symbol then cold dial 37^8 = 3,512,479,453,921 and while i have the calculator out, assuming it takes 1 min to try and dial a location and not get a lock and move on (maybe less but easier to calc) it would take 6,851,746 years (ok i was really board) so basicly we aint never gunna find out!
                your conjecture maybe correct but also there is a probability that the acients bug all the other gates across pegasus galaxy so that the wraith couldnt travel to other galaxies leaven atlantis with the only dhd able to dial out the galaxy

now my 2 cents have you ever think of the posibility that the 9th chevron is use to activate the wormhole to work both ways?making gate travel posible both ways in on shot?
                Last edited by 9-Chevron; 17 November 2004, 09:28 AM.

Comment

If there are two gates on a planet, and only one of them is attached to a DHD (making it the primary gate), how do you dial out from the other gate? Do you have two DHDs and just connect and disconnect them as needed? Or is there just one DHD, and you have to move it around when you want to switch primary gates?
                  YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbes
                    The "point of origin" thing was only used in the movie. In the series, gate addresses are always the same regardless of where you're dialling from.
                    Not really, they just don't point it out as much anymore.
                    In the beginning of the series, they always had to find the one different symbol on the DHD when they got there, so that they could dial home quickly when they were being shot at by pissed locals or jaffa.
                    YAY DANCING BANANAS!!!

Hallowed Are The Moderators

Kate Hewlett's blog

A Dog's Breakfast official site

37.47535% - Major Geek How geeky are you?

Comment

I was thinking about the quandry of the eighth and ninth chevrons and how could one activate the 9th chevron without activating the 8th?

I propose that puddlejumpers in deepspace without a stargate which want to use a wormhole to some gate whereever do this:

Activate ALL 9 CHEVRONS. In this situation the first six glyphs would act as usual to mark the destination point.

However, the remaining 3 glyphs when ALL encoded would act as the location in deep space of the puddlejumper - say by the 3 remaining glyphs symbolizing the 3 nearest stars to the puddlejumper forming a triangle with the puddlejumper at the apex and then the 3 closest of the destination glyphs comprizing the remaining for a total of 6 to indicate the departure point in deep space of the puddlejumper.

Comment

By Roswellgrey:
                        also, for current real science, what is the speculation about wormhole formation?
                        besides being 2 way they must open at both ends without being fixed to something n'est pas?
                        [science geek warning]
                        Well according to the Super string theory, Wormholes operate by creating a gravametric disturbence in the fabric of space, and then cut through a layer called "Sub Space" (a layer of space that exists outside of the physical plane between atoms and outside of time).

The Chaos portion of the String theory allows Wormholes to form naturally though choatically. Basically a natural wormhole would Jump it's ends around erratically as the energy in the ecretion disk builds to the formation of a event horizen. Basically the event horizens creation would distabalize each ends fixture points in our space, making it appear anywhere.

Also in a natural forming wormhole the String theory believes it would be two way where as it postulates that a forced wormhole would at best allow only micro atom-mic material to pass both ways, but no real mass.
                        [/science geek warning]

Okie back to Stright SG stuff.

Well, we don't know much about puddle jumpers yet so lord knows what they could do.. And we still know very little about the ancients (you'd think Daniel would of asked more questions while accended).

Mind you, we don't even know for certain if the Anceints were first in our Galaxy or in Ida or in Pegasus.

With so little facts it's hard to draw many conclusions.

I mean sure, it's possible puddle jumpers could act as thier own gates (but then why would the Ancients put stargates around the pegasus galaxy, where the Wraith could use them?)

we know they fought and eventually lost to the wraith.. and well.. I don't think the ancients were dumb enough to leave SG's around for the enemy to use if thier own Puddlejumpers (PJ's) could act as thier own gates.

maybe i'm just thinking too much

But let's assume it would work that way..

well if a PJ's could open thier own wormholes, likly you would punch in the destination points, the Jumper would then do a intelligent look for a gate as your dialing, see none then prolly designate a special 7th, 8th and 9th glyphs to "jumper gating"

[science geek warning]
                        Also the physics of Stargate travel and wormhole travel still remain the same if it's a jumper or another gate.. you still have the gate going from point A (where the jumper/gate is) to the 6 point triangulated point in space (point B)

So the theory for gate travel still maintains as W = (6p)+Sp.

Sp = Start Point. since you know the exact point in space your at, your telling the wormhole generator where to target the wormhole from the Sp
                        [/science geek warning]

also how then do hyperspace windows travel before closing?
                        Okay, basically from what i gathered from show cannon Hyperspace windows are like ST's "Warp bubble".. it creates a "window" around the vessel that disrupts the laws of relitivity, and the window would automatically close and return to normal as soon as the Hyperspace generator was out of range.

either that or or the "window" is like SW's hyperdrive in which the drive slips the ship into a contuint that already exists inthe folds of subspace.

TBH.. need more info on how the hyperspace drive works before really can say if it actually even closes.

Edit: Damn that's one long post O_O
                        Last edited by Fox'atuus; 17 November 2004, 06:55 PM.
                        "ya Think!" ~ O'neil

Comment

Originally posted by Fox'atuus
                          [science geek warning]
                          Well according to the Super string theory, Wormholes operate by creating a gravametric disturbence in the fabric of space, and then cut through a layer called "Sub Space" (a layer of space that exists outside of the physical plane between atoms and outside of time).
                          eh, I hate to login in I'm so tired and I hate taking a whack at your science geek warning thing but here goes.........superstring theory to my knowledge proposes 11 dimensions with 3 normal and 8 curled up.....if you uncurl 1 or more of those I suppose that might be used to explain hyperspace.....but I don't remember any of those curled dimensions being called "subspace" - and even while curled the theory suggests that all matter and time still travel simul thru those dimensions while crossing the uncurled 3 dimensions.

The Chaos portion of the String theory allows Wormholes to form naturally though choatically. Basically a natural wormhole would Jump it's ends around erratically as the energy in the ecretion disk builds to the formation of a event horizen. Basically the event horizens creation would distabalize each ends fixture points in our space, making it appear anywhere.
                          yes true but that was my point. a stargate isn't necessary for wormhole formation - perhaps the jumper would use these "struts" or some other way to temporary hold the wormhole mouth in one place

Also in a natural forming wormhole the String theory believes it would be two way where as it postulates that a forced wormhole would at best allow only micro atom-mic material to pass both ways, but no real mass.
                          [/science geek warning]
                          agreed

I mean sure, it's possible puddle jumpers could act as thier own gates (but then why would the Ancients put stargates around the pegasus galaxy, where the Wraith could use them?)

we know they fought and eventually lost to the wraith.. and well.. I don't think the ancients were dumb enough to leave SG's around for the enemy to use if thier own Puddlejumpers (PJ's) could act as thier own gates.

maybe i'm just thinking too much

But let's assume it would work that way..
                          the gate system was already up and active when the wraith were discovered..... and very possibly the wraith don't know all the secrets of the gate.....
                          well if a PJ's could open thier own wormholes, likly you would punch in the destination points, the Jumper would then do a intelligent look for a gate as your dialing, see none then prolly designate a special 7th, 8th and 9th glyphs to "jumper gating"
                          not sure what saying.....

Comment

That just gives me the image of drunken locals or drunken Jaffa rambling on and tryin to fight with sg-1...or trying it on with carter
                            And all these bad dreams, I wake up to the light. And when I can't sleep, I wake up to your eyes.

Comment

its possible that with an 8 chevron lock the first 7 choose the galaxy and the 8th is the PoO and that the wormhole connects to the gate with the control crystal. so instead of being 30-ish galaxy combinations there are thosands. i like the extenion idea. maybe the 9th chevron is to adapt to alien gate networks or it chooses the colour of the wormhole

Comment

Originally posted by Positively Kanyon
                                Brilliant! That's the analogy I was trying to come up with, but you summed it up perfectly.

Anybody else agree or disagree, any more theories?
                                I agree, would make the most sense anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X