Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We believe the ninth chevron was to dial a specific gate, by telling the gate system find the gate with this ID code, rather than by location.

Comment

I just had an epiphany.

Suppose the 9th chevron is simply a security measure?
      Given the immense number of options an 8-chevron address offers, it seems to me that under normal circumstances, an 8-chevron address would be perfectly adequate for dialing Destiny.

However, obviously the Ancients wouldn't want anyone getting their grubby paws on Destiny. What could be better than requiring the symbol for Earth, and using a singular 9-chevron address that somebody like the Wraith would have no way of guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
        The ninth chevron is just a range and location finder for the Destiny gate, as Destiny doesnt move very far when her stargate is being used for either incoming or outgoing wormholes
        Exactly!! What I still don't understand is why they couldn't head over to Pegasus, pickup a few dozen ZPMs and dial the 9th chevron again. If a ZPM is a universe in a bottle it should have more energy than an icarus type planet.

Comment

The seed ships should have been dropping gates along for the thousands of years they had been going, and while there is an unfathomable distance between Destiny and earth, there would still be a chain of gates in which subspace gate communication could happen. Theoretically, when the gate system updates itself(this usually happens to account for planetary drift) it would also add the new gates and allow the system to have a basic idea of where Destiny is.

This is assuming that the gate on icarus was somehow a part of the larger gate network Destiny had created.

Comment

Originally posted by rgritt View Post
            Exactly!! What I still don't understand is why they couldn't head over to Pegasus, pickup a few dozen ZPMs and dial the 9th chevron again. If a ZPM is a universe in a bottle it should have more energy than an icarus type planet.
            Given the events of EATG, ZPM's would likely be marked as the absolute no1 strategic asset. Under no circumstances would the military risk losing a ZPM to some science project.

If a ZPM is a universe in a bottle it should have more energy than an icarus type planet.
            Micro universe. And by my calculations their energy should be about the same. Also, in ~18 years we'll see a nearby star grow very bright. An icarus planet, while scientifically valuable, would not be an overly strategic asset otherwise. Naquahdriah technology was rendered obsolete by our asgard technology. So it's a powersource that can dial the 9th chevron without potentially draining a ZPM in seconds.

The seed ships should have been dropping gates along for the thousands of years they had been going, and while there is an unfathomable distance between Destiny and earth, there would still be a chain of gates in which subspace gate communication could happen. Theoretically, when the gate system updates itself(this usually happens to account for planetary drift) it would also add the new gates and allow the system to have a basic idea of where Destiny is.

This is assuming that the gate on icarus was somehow a part of the larger gate network Destiny had created.

I believe that very remark has been made dozens of pages ago. I know cause i said it before (among others). It's by far the most logical way that the gate knows where Destiny is.

The Icarus gate does not have to be part of that network. All you need is some macro or algorithm that recognizes the gate address (the 9 chevron address) and then performs the task of locating and dialing Destiny. That very theory makes the 9th chevron indeed a code, a code that activates a specific routine rather than representing a specific location in space.

Comment

My personal theory is . . .

6 Chevrons: ID a point in a galaxy.
              7 Chevron: Origin point.
              8 Chevron: Galaxy ID, defaults to current if not used.
              9 Chevron: Override.

That is Chevrons 1-8 are used in normal use to dial a system ID and it picks up the main system gate or any active gate in that area if the main gate is down. The 9th Chevron tells the system instead to dial a single specific gate code made using the other 8 Chevrons.

So your in the milky way and dial a 7 chevron earth code you get the SG gate as its the main gate for earth or if that's down the back up gate for that system. If you dial 1-9 your telling it to dial specifically the main gate or the back up gate depending on which gate code you enter.

The 9th Chevron wasn't orgin/target/speed/etc it was an override telling the system rather than using the usual target/origin point system to instead dial the Destiny gate direct and if for the sake of argument Destiny had 2 gates in it and the one for that code was destroyed nothing would have happened. It was needed for destiny because it was a far more variable target location but it could work for any gate if you had that gates' 8 chevron ID.

Comment

They did master time travel. Jonas built a timedrive for a puddlejumper and they must have known a solar flare can cause time travel in conjunction with a gate

Comment

I have a theory about how 9th chevron works , you may understand it or may not but here is

First we have to understand that destiny follows a path where there are already stargates planted in planets. my believe is that destiny has its own chevron or glyph or whatever you wanna call it and while it travels across the universe destiny leaves a mark in every gate that is at its range , something like " you know destiny was at this location "

now when you dial the 9th chevron what I believe happens is the DHD connects to the stargates network and ask where destiny is at the moment. at some point one of the gate is gonna respond back " TO THE DESTINY " with the message " someone is looking out for your position at determinate coordenates " then the one who creates the wormhole is destiny because it already knows where the caller is. I would not be suprised that this particular gate is capable of both ways travel. I dont know if you get the idea but to me seem possible and logic.

what you think people??

Comment

Originally posted by derivat View Post
                    I have a theory about how 9th chevron works , you may understand it or may not but here is

First we have to understand that destiny follows a path where there are already stargates planted in planets. my believe is that destiny has its own chevron or glyph or whatever you wanna call it and while it travels across the universe destiny leaves a mark in every gate that is at its range , something like " you know destiny was at this location "

now when you dial the 9th chevron what I believe happens is the DHD connects to the stargates network and ask where destiny is at the moment. at some point one of the gate is gonna respond back " TO THE DESTINY " with the message " someone is looking out for your position at determinate coordenates " then the one who creates the wormhole is destiny because it already knows where the caller is. I would not be suprised that this particular gate is capable of both ways travel. I dont know if you get the idea but to me seem possible and logic.

what you think people??
                    I think it's not correct ... Imagine situation when the Destiny is between galaxies, out of range last known stargate and every stargate ... the last gate of the galaxy will send back the last known position of the Destiny, not current (Because the point of origin has changed) yet you still be able to call the Destiny's gate. Now when you imagine the working of the gates, every single one is on the planet with specific point of origin ... but destiny's point of origin is still changing yet u can call it anytime. When you connect it with situation i mention that the ship is between galaxies you will be able to call it. So that destiny address must be like HARDCODED to Destiny's gate.

Comment

Why the discussion... the show said it is a code. Like a 1-800 number.

Besides, it has no choice to be a UUID-like code since it is dialing a moving ship.

(Mike drop)

Comment

Working...
                      X