This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph View Post
    Okay, we all know the basic deal: 1-6 are for a location, 7th is a Point of Origin.

So Normal Address:
    XXXXXXY
    X-Location
    Y-Point of Origin

Okay, now from the 5th race and Atlantis we have 8-Chevron address:
    XXXXXXAY
    X-Location
    A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
    Y-Point of Origin

Alright, now we have the 9th Chevron which has yet to be used, now here is an idea i read and i kinda like it: an Extension. This would come into play when there is more than one gate in a given area. Now i know you already think: well, duh, that cant be true because we had two gates, and we never needed to use the 9th chevron. Well right you are, because if the Ninth isnt used it goes the to the Primary gate, which so happened to be ours.

Okay, so here is how i think a 9 Gate Address would go.
    XXXXXXABY
    X-Location
    A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
    B-"Extension" (Gate Selector)
    Y-Point of Origin.

Now if you wanted to go to a planet with more than one gate in the same galaxy you just ignore the area code, which would just mean that it activates a different chevron.

In other words, each chevron has a duty, even in a 8 or 9 glyph address

1-6 are ALWAYS destination glyphs
    7 is ALWAYS point of origin
    8 is ALWAYS galactic addresses
    9 is ALWAYS a gate selector

all thats different is the order the chevrons activate.
    for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
    for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
    for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7

okay, what do you think?
    I've been thinking about this and it may be that the 9th chevron is actually the first chevron (which has a default). But then you put it up against the Destiny and it has me thinking new things.
    What if... the ninth chevron is the first chevron (and uses the least power) and the address they used to access the ship is actually an administrative address kind of like the local host default address: 127.0.0.1?
    The Destiny is part of the stargate development administrative subsystem. Other addresses using similar subsystem addresses would access the gate builder ships, mining vessels, and even scout vessels.
    The power necessary to access the gate would have more to do with the distance involved that the fact that it is a ninth chevron.
    This would open up all kinds of possibilities. This would put the folks on board the Destiny actually INSIDE the ADMINISTRATIVE SUBSYSTEM for a significant section of the gate network.
    I think if this is the theory we operate by then we dramatically expand the possibilities for the writers.
    It kind of makes my head spin thinking about the possibilities.

KK

Comment

Hi everyone! I have the new theory about chevrons, its like BYTE, WORD, DWORD and so on:
      - 1,2 chevrons are the first angle
      - 3,4 chevrons are the second angle
      - 5,6(,7)(,8) chevrons are the distance to the target gates
      - the last chevron is unique ID of the source gates, from where to count angles and distance. So the gates on IKAR were built with an additional specificator for using earth gates as source point. If we want to use the other source point, you should re-calculate the angles and distance. Ancients could simply connect to gates system and use any of source points. So is maybe done with puddle jumpers. And there must be or the center of gate system (database of all source points), or an intercommunication system between all the gates in the universe.

Comment

How about this (And that's basicly what the show (SG-U) has said)...

9th chevron sole destination is the "Destiny" gate ( no where else. Why? Because it's a moving stargate, on a moving ship "Destiny". NEVER in the same place twice.), to dial that gate, they needed a whole-lota power. And that's the reason they needed to use the Icarus base, the whole planet was the power souce.

Smiple....

Comment

yeah know the galaxy is a big place there has to be more than one icarus type planet out there. Hell you even have the Pegasuses galaxy to search for one albeit you have the wraith to deal with but still. there has to be more than one out there WHY arent they looking for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aroura-Gate View Post
            yeah know the galaxy is a big place there has to be more than one icarus type planet out there. Hell you even have the Pegasuses galaxy to search for one albeit you have the wraith to deal with but still. there has to be more than one out there WHY arent they looking for it?
            who says they arnt?

Comment

and oh has everyone forgoten SG canon about naquahdria? it DOESNT exist naturally and is only a biproduct of bla bla (technobabble) on jonas' homeworld where it was first discovered it only existed BC some retarded goa'ulds experiments.

Comment

All of these theories are really interesting, but there's one thing I still don't get....

How can you dial Earth's point of origin from just anywhere?!? That pretty much contradicts all of the science they had set up, which is part of what made the franchise so great. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, or they clarified in a later episode I didn't watch, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerlilybrown View Post
                  All of these theories are really interesting, but there's one thing I still don't get....

How can you dial Earth's point of origin from just anywhere?!? That pretty much contradicts all of the science they had set up, which is part of what made the franchise so great. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, or they clarified in a later episode I didn't watch, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.
                  it was a CODE, the earth symbol wasnt a point of origin, it was part of the code.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    it was a CODE, the earth symbol wasnt a point of origin, it was part of the code.
                    That's the part I can't quite wrap my brain around... So is there no point of origin at all?

Comment

Nope. The address is just a password.

Also spacial coordinates would have never worked with Destiny, it's a constantly moving gate and we'd have no idea where it would be at a certain point in time. It had to be something different.
                      Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                        Nope. The address is just a password.

Also spacial coordinates would have never worked with Destiny, it's a constantly moving gate and we'd have no idea where it would be at a certain point in time. It had to be something different.
                        That makes sense, I guess. But how can you make a wormhole without coordinates?

*shrugs* I'm reading way too much into this, I know.

Comment

By sending a signal *everywhere* until it finds Destiny's gate. That's the reason for the huge power usage during the dialing, even before the wormhole was established.
                          Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

By sending a signal *everywhere* until it finds Destiny's gate. That's the reason for the huge power usage during the dialing, even before the wormhole was established.
                            OK, that makes sense. They probably explained it in the episode...

Thank you!

Comment

What if they dialed the 9th chevron first then the 1st chevron twice?

Comment

Was that explained in the show, because I dont think thats the most likely option, I think it is more likely that the gates are somewhow linked to Destiny which constantly updates its position, so that whenever that sequence is dialed it takes it to wherever Destiny is

Comment

Working...
                                X