This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
    Different universe? As in...alternate universe?
    I think, The multiverse theory, Multi-universes, is that as in alternate, but that would be call, Alternate universe, you could go to an alternate universe to get more ZPM's,
    Hamish
    Teal'c Rocks
    :indeed:
    This is what happens when teal'c attacks goa'uld
    :tealc39:+:bratacanime13:=:samanime27:(i know its sam, but pretend its a goa'uld:indeed:

Mackay is annoing,
    :mckayanime18:
    NO YOUR NOT

Another funny Sig from HamishRules

Comment

Originally posted by HamishRules View Post
      I think, The multiverse theory, Multi-universes, is that as in alternate, but that would be call, Alternate universe, you could go to an alternate universe to get more ZPM's,
      Hamish
      I can easily prove this wrong on principle: there are 38*37*36*35*34*33*32*31=1,971,788,797,440 possible 9-chevron addresses. That seems like a lot, however, it isn't.

Using E=h*c/(L), where E is the energy of a photon, h is Plank's constant, c is the speed of light, and (L) is the wavelength of the photon, we find that that photons in the visible spectrum have energies ranging from ~2.6*10^-19 J to 5.2*10^-19 J. This means that the a 100-watt bulb puts out about somwhere between 19,000,000,000,000,000,000 and 380,000,000,000,000,000,000 photons every second.

Every time one of these photons hits something, that photon has a chance of being either reflected or absorbed. This means that each photon results in the creating of a new alternate reality. This, in turn, means that a single 100-watt bulb creates more alternate realities in one microsecond than the ninth chevron can handle.

Moreover, another method of disproving the idea that the ninth chevron is for alternate reality travel is the premise of Stargate Universe. We haven't really learned what the ninth chevron is for, but whatever its purpose is, we know that it can be used...
      Spoiler:
      ...to reach the Destiny, an Ancient ship that is, presumably, still in our reality.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Hamish
        e.g ripple effect
        SG-1 members
        Atlantis Team members

Comment

[QUOTE=hawkmajor;10599057]e.g ripple effect[/QUOTE
          Exactly, thats a good episode
          Teal'c Rocks
          :tealc39:+:bratacanime13:=:samanime27:(i know its sam, but pretend its a goa'uld:indeed:

Mackay is annoing,
          NO YOUR NOT

Comment

Except that, as I already noted, a single 100-watt bub would create more alternate realities in a microsecond than there are possible 9-chevron addresses.

Therefore, the ninth chevron can't be use to travel to alternate realities, simply because there are far, far, far, far...

...far, far, far too many alternate realities.
            Last edited by Quadhelix; 14 September 2009, 09:26 AM. Reason: Acidentally cited hawkmajor for HamishRules' statement
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

yes, its one of my favourites
              SG-1 members
              Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                Except that, as I already noted, a single 100-watt bub would create more alternate realities in a microsecond than there are possible 9-chevron addresses.

Therefore, the ninth chevron can't be use to travel to alternate realities, simply because there are far, far, far, far...

...far, far, far too many alternate realities.
                We get the point, we were just saying we like ripple effect.
                Teal'c Rocks

Mackay is annoing,
                NO YOUR NOT

Comment

read about stargate univerce lately?

Santary

Comment

Originally posted by santary View Post
                    read about stargate univerce lately?
                    what are you getting at?
                    SG-1 members
                    Atlantis Team members

Comment

ok dont no if any one has said this or not but my guess for this would be eaither aother univers in the same reality or som kind of galaxy secter like say u have galaxy selecter then u have the 9th wich would alow for even farther travle consider it that u cant use one chevron to go to all the galaxays there are too many and the other chevrons are fro in gate location not as other galaxy it is more like that the preceeding ship that seeds the gate slpits the galaxys into sectors and thos sectors are the ninth chevron and it is trotaly possible tyo have one if u think about it and the thing about galaxy selector is tht the univers infinatly expands so there is no comceivable way to use the 8 chevron t acess them all anyway these are my thought son the suject

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Maldoran View Post
                        ok dont no if any one has said this or not but my guess for this would be eaither aother univers in the same reality or som kind of galaxy secter like say u have galaxy selecter then u have the 9th wich would alow for even farther travle consider it that u cant use one chevron to go to all the galaxays there are too many and the other chevrons are fro in gate location not as other galaxy it is more like that the preceeding ship that seeds the gate slpits the galaxys into sectors and thos sectors are the ninth chevron and it is trotaly possible tyo have one if u think about it and the thing about galaxy selector is tht the univers infinatly expands so there is no comceivable way to use the 8 chevron t acess them all anyway these are my thought son the suject
                        i think some got there first, but i could be wrong...
                        and no offense mate but
                        Spoiler:
                        you need to check your post before posting it

EDIT: 700...
                        Last edited by hawkmajor; 22 September 2009, 01:18 PM. Reason: post count
                        SG-1 members
                        Atlantis Team members

Comment

I wonder if the power consumption of the 9th chevron is dependent on the distance. Cause say the team goes to a planet. How do they know what address to use to dial back if it changes every time they go into and drop from FTL. It would make sense that there would somehow be a static address that they could always use to get back.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworker51 View Post
                            How do they know what address to use to dial back if it changes every time they go into and drop from FTL. It would make sense that there would somehow be a static address that they could always use to get back.
                            Well, for example, they could check the ship's computer to find out its local, 7-chevron address.

Just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph View Post
                              Okay, we all know the basic deal: 1-6 are for a location, 7th is a Point of Origin.

So Normal Address:
                              XXXXXXY
                              X-Location
                              Y-Point of Origin

Okay, now from the 5th race and Atlantis we have 8-Chevron address:
                              XXXXXXAY
                              X-Location
                              A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
                              Y-Point of Origin

Alright, now we have the 9th Chevron which has yet to be used, now here is an idea i read and i kinda like it: an Extension. This would come into play when there is more than one gate in a given area. Now i know you already think: well, duh, that cant be true because we had two gates, and we never needed to use the 9th chevron. Well right you are, because if the Ninth isnt used it goes the to the Primary gate, which so happened to be ours.

Okay, so here is how i think a 9 Gate Address would go.
                              XXXXXXABY
                              X-Location
                              A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
                              B-"Extension" (Gate Selector)
                              Y-Point of Origin.

Now if you wanted to go to a planet with more than one gate in the same galaxy you just ignore the area code, which would just mean that it activates a different chevron.

In other words, each chevron has a duty, even in a 8 or 9 glyph address

1-6 are ALWAYS destination glyphs
                              7 is ALWAYS point of origin
                              8 is ALWAYS galactic addresses
                              9 is ALWAYS a gate selector

all thats different is the order the chevrons activate.
                              for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
                              for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
                              for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
                              for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7

okay, what do you think?
                              That sounds like it works, and i'd like to believe it but i think it would be better if we got a word from the producors and see if they put any science behind it, or just thought "OH LETS USE A 9TH CHEVRON TO MAKE SGU"

Comment

Originally posted by kinseySG View Post
                                That sounds like it works, and i'd like to believe it but i think it would be better if we got a word from the producors and see if they put any science behind it, or just thought "OH LETS USE A 9TH CHEVRON TO MAKE SGU"
                                Yes, but one can hope that that they would at least have some sort of justification for it.

And even if they don't, it's fun to speculate.

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                                Well, for example, they could check the ship's computer to find out its local, 7-chevron address.
                                For the record, I counted the number of times they engaged a glyph when they dialed back to the Destiny at the beginning of "Air, Part 3": it was a seven-chevron address (though I'm not sure if the term "chevron" still applies).

Comment

Working...
                                X