This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 = Local "call"
    8 = Long distance (other galaxy, same galactic cluster)
    9 = "International" (completely different galactic cluster)
    This is the logical choice for the 9th chevrons usage, but not too many people know about things like superclusters, so they don't understand the explanation.

We live around a rather ordinary star that is located in the milky way galaxy. The milky way galaxy was probably made up of many smaller dwarf galaxies that originally orbited it, but were eventually consumed, making the milky way galaxy more massive.
    The milky way galaxy exists in a region of space known as the local group, and that group consists of the Milky Way, Triangulum, and Andromeda, along with satellite dwarf galaxies orbiting them. Pegasus galaxy is a dwarf that is thought to be orbiting Andromeda, but is actually very close to Milky Way at this time.
    The local group of galaxies belong to the Virgo supercluster, which is made up of hundreds of other groups of galaxies. There are millions of superclusters in the universe.

So, here we are on a planet in the Milky Way. We have a stargate, and can easily travel from planet to planet in the milky way. It takes roughly 100 times the power to travel to another galaxy in the local group, and the only devices we know of that can supply that power is a ZPM or an "O'neill device" (The Fifth Race), and that device isn't an option anymore.
    So, if it takes a ZPM to travel to Pegasus (which is a local galaxy), how much energy do you suppose it would take to get to non-local galaxy 400 million lightyears away? And, supposing that you could attain such energy, which chevron would you use to get there?
    If the 8th chevron is a distance modifier to get to a local galaxy, then logic would seem to indicate that the 9th chevron would be distance modifier used to get to a much farther galaxy, or cluster of galaxies.

First, the Ancients evolved on earth. They built the stargate network throughout the milky way and shared that technology with their allied races (particularly the Asgard, who have a regular gate in the Ida Galaxy) [The Fifth Race]. After spreading throughout the Milky Way, they decided to have some fun and go to the Pegasus Galaxy, taking their great city of Atlantis with them.
    Why, oh why do people insist that the ancients evolved on Earth, even though there is not a shred of evidence in either the show, or the fossil record to prove it? If the ancients evolved on some planet in a galaxy far, far away, would that make us feel more insignificant?

Also, the show's writers have redesignated the Asgards galaxy to "Othala". It's not Ida anymore. And the logical reason for why the Asgard galaxy has the same type of gates as the milky way would be due to the fact that the Othala galaxy is orbiting the milky way.

1. Ancients travel to the milky way and begin depositing stargates on all of the habitable worlds. When they're done there, they move on to the worlds of the satellite galaxies nearby (including Othala).

2. After a few million years (30 or so) the ancients decide to populate another galaxy that is nearby (Andromeda), but since one of Andromeda's satellites is traveling close to the Milky Way, they'll start there first (Pegasus). New galactic star gate system, new stargate design based on the newest ancient technology.

Personally, I think that the ancients were not native to the milky way. More than likely, they came here to spread life, just like they went to Pegasus to do the same. That means that there very well could be many many ancient human cultures in other galaxies that we don't know, because we don't have the power to even start looking.
    Not to mention that it allows the franchise to continue for a long long time, with lots of galaxies to explore in future series.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
      It takes roughly 100 times the power to travel to another galaxy in the local group, and the only devices we know of that can supply that power is a ZPM or an "O'neill device" (The Fifth Race), and that device isn't an option anymore.
      Um, I saw that episode too and carter said 10 times. Typo?
      Originally posted by Jarnin
      Why, oh why do people insist that the ancients evolved on Earth, even though there is not a shred of evidence in either the show, or the fossil record to prove it?
      Um, Jarnin, have you watched both series? I recommend [SG Atlantis: Rising Part 1] for some useful tidbits.
      Originally posted by http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/races/a/ancients.shtml
      Ayiana was left behind by the Ancients when they left Earth with the city of Atlantis, moving to the Pegasus Galaxy between five and 10 million years ago.
      Perhaps I could recommend a good download site for the latest episodes if you're missing out Jarnin?
      Last edited by lord_rblade; 11 September 2004, 01:44 AM. Reason: added quote

Comment

not really spoilers but ehers some space any way for atlantis 109 home

the say that the atlantis gate is the only one that can connect to earth via the 8th symbol because it is a unique DHD with an 8th control crystal. so not even atlanstis could use the 9th symbol they would have to make a new dhd in order to use it. so either there is a 9th symbol DHD out there we havn't found yet or the acients just put it on the gate for exspantion space later.

if we wanted to test it would need to use the earth gate with a fully powered ZPM (so u know u have enough power/ more then enough) and write a new version of the dialing computer to use the 9th symbol then cold dial 37^8 = 3,512,479,453,921 and while i have the calculator out, assuming it takes 1 min to try and dial a location and not get a lock and move on (maybe less but easier to calc) it would take 6,851,746 years (ok i was really board) so basicly we aint never gunna find out!

Comment

bah... just set up a bunch of allied planets with dialing computers that do dials to those addresses during certain (inactive) hours; thus not rendering the planet unreachable. If you set up 6,851,746 planets doing this then you could try then all in just two years! (assuming they dial 12 hrs a day, leaving all other hours open for regular travel)

Hey, why not add a 6,851,747th gate for good measure. Hope they find out how to manufacture zpms soon, cuz they're gonna need a lot!!!
          We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

D@mn...

I tried dialing chulack but i ran out of minutes, ill have to wait until 8:00

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
              8th control crystal
              Sorry, made it short to avoid spoilers. When did they talk about that? I've watched all the episodes a couple times, didn't catch that.

Oh, and Jarnin - Sorry, you're right - I couldn't find anywhere that they said they had proof that the Ancients evolved on earth, only that they had lived there many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by lord_rblade
                Sorry, made it short to avoid spoilers. When did they talk about that? I've watched all the episodes a couple times, didn't catch that.

Oh, and Jarnin - Sorry, you're right - I couldn't find anywhere that they said they had proof that the Ancients evolved on earth, only that they had lived there many years ago.
                ok spoiler space for Stargate: Atlantis season 1 episode 9 titles "Home"

at the begining when they are talking about how they can use that atmosphere's energy to dial earth, mckay said the atlantis DHD is unique and they would need to take the 8th control crystal from it and retrofit it in to the planets dhd so they could try and get a lock.

enough spoiler space?

Comment

ah, thx. I haven't seen that ep yet. here's a pic of my gate diagram, but i guess it might be proven wrong in that ep.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by lord_rblade; 12 September 2004, 01:04 AM. Reason: pic

Comment

maybe the 9th chevronis used by the puddlejumpers in deep space? if they have hyperdrives - which I will be amazed if they don't (also teleporters) then maybe they deploy some kind of beacon struts like in babylon5 and then they use the ninth chevron to open a wormhole in deepspace?

Comment

Hey, don't look at me... I don't know. Maybe?
                      There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
                        maybe the 9th chevronis used by the puddlejumpers in deep space? if they have hyperdrives - which I will be amazed if they don't (also teleporters) then maybe they deploy some kind of beacon struts like in babylon5 and then they use the ninth chevron to open a wormhole in deepspace?
                        Do you mean open a wormhole without a stargate on the other end? It could be possible, but it's a pretty big stretch.
                        Rocky

Comment

i'd think the pj's would be great with a hyperdrive, but i dont get why you incorporate a ninth chevron in this. i mean, when the prommie jumps to hyperspace, it doesnt use chevrons. if ive misinterpereted your ideas, pleas let me know.
                          ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Nine chevrons? When was there an use for a ninth?

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                            Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                            "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                            My deviantART profile

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralJackO'Neill
                              Nine chevrons? When was there an use for a ninth?
                              That's the whole thing. We don't know what the use is for the ninth chevron, we are limited to speculation.
                              Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
                                Sorry, but Puddle Jumpers do not have hyper-drive.

S
                                P
                                O
                                I
                                L
                                E
                                R

In 'Home', Sheppard said it would take over 800 years to come get McKay by Puddle Jumper if the Gate broke down.
                                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Working...
                                X