Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 48889596979899100101 LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2005
    On the new ship (X-501) stepping through the gate.

Default Re: All you ever wanted to know about the 9th chevron

Quote Originally Posted by HamishRules View Post
    Exactly, thats a good episode
    yes, its one of my favourites
    SG-1 members
    Atlantis Team members

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    Except that, as I already noted, a single 100-watt bub would create more alternate realities in a microsecond than there are possible 9-chevron addresses.

Therefore, the ninth chevron can't be use to travel to alternate realities, simply because there are far, far, far, far...

...far, far, far too many alternate realities.
    We get the point, we were just saying we like ripple effect.

read about stargate univerce lately?

Quote Originally Posted by santary View Post
    read about stargate univerce lately?
    what are you getting at?
    SG-1 members
    Atlantis Team members

Probie

ok dont no if any one has said this or not but my guess for this would be eaither aother univers in the same reality or som kind of galaxy secter like say u have galaxy selecter then u have the 9th wich would alow for even farther travle consider it that u cant use one chevron to go to all the galaxays there are too many and the other chevrons are fro in gate location not as other galaxy it is more like that the preceeding ship that seeds the gate slpits the galaxys into sectors and thos sectors are the ninth chevron and it is trotaly possible tyo have one if u think about it and the thing about galaxy selector is tht the univers infinatly expands so there is no comceivable way to use the 8 chevron t acess them all anyway these are my thought son the suject

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Maldoran View Post
    ok dont no if any one has said this or not but my guess for this would be eaither aother univers in the same reality or som kind of galaxy secter like say u have galaxy selecter then u have the 9th wich would alow for even farther travle consider it that u cant use one chevron to go to all the galaxays there are too many and the other chevrons are fro in gate location not as other galaxy it is more like that the preceeding ship that seeds the gate slpits the galaxys into sectors and thos sectors are the ninth chevron and it is trotaly possible tyo have one if u think about it and the thing about galaxy selector is tht the univers infinatly expands so there is no comceivable way to use the 8 chevron t acess them all anyway these are my thought son the suject
    i think some got there first, but i could be wrong...
    and no offense mate but
    Spoiler:
    you need to check your post before posting it

EDIT: 700...
    Last edited by hawkmajor; September 22nd, 2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: post count
    SG-1 members
    Atlantis Team members

I wonder if the power consumption of the 9th chevron is dependent on the distance. Cause say the team goes to a planet. How do they know what address to use to dial back if it changes every time they go into and drop from FTL. It would make sense that there would somehow be a static address that they could always use to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworker51 View Post
    How do they know what address to use to dial back if it changes every time they go into and drop from FTL. It would make sense that there would somehow be a static address that they could always use to get back.
    Well, for example, they could check the ship's computer to find out its local, 7-chevron address.

Just a hunch.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Chief Master Sergeant

Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

Quote Originally Posted by Furyofaseraph View Post
    Okay, we all know the basic deal: 1-6 are for a location, 7th is a Point of Origin.

So Normal Address:
    XXXXXXY
    X-Location
    Y-Point of Origin

Okay, now from the 5th race and Atlantis we have 8-Chevron address:
    XXXXXXAY
    X-Location
    A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
    Y-Point of Origin

Alright, now we have the 9th Chevron which has yet to be used, now here is an idea i read and i kinda like it: an Extension. This would come into play when there is more than one gate in a given area. Now i know you already think: well, duh, that cant be true because we had two gates, and we never needed to use the 9th chevron. Well right you are, because if the Ninth isnt used it goes the to the Primary gate, which so happened to be ours.

Okay, so here is how i think a 9 Gate Address would go.
    XXXXXXABY
    X-Location
    B-"Extension" (Gate Selector)
    Y-Point of Origin.

Now if you wanted to go to a planet with more than one gate in the same galaxy you just ignore the area code, which would just mean that it activates a different chevron.

In other words, each chevron has a duty, even in a 8 or 9 glyph address

1-6 are ALWAYS destination glyphs
    7 is ALWAYS point of origin
    8 is ALWAYS galactic addresses
    9 is ALWAYS a gate selector

all thats different is the order the chevrons activate.
    for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
    for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
    for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7

okay, what do you think?
    That sounds like it works, and i'd like to believe it but i think it would be better if we got a word from the producors and see if they put any science behind it, or just thought "OH LETS USE A 9TH CHEVRON TO MAKE SGU"

Quote Originally Posted by kinseySG View Post
    That sounds like it works, and i'd like to believe it but i think it would be better if we got a word from the producors and see if they put any science behind it, or just thought "OH LETS USE A 9TH CHEVRON TO MAKE SGU"
    Yes, but one can hope that that they would at least have some sort of justification for it.

And even if they don't, it's fun to speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix View Post
    Well, for example, they could check the ship's computer to find out its local, 7-chevron address.
    For the record, I counted the number of times they engaged a glyph when they dialed back to the Destiny at the beginning of "Air, Part 3": it was a seven-chevron address (though I'm not sure if the term "chevron" still applies).
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

Quote Originally Posted by Furyofaseraph View Post
    Okay, we all know the basic deal: 1-6 are for a location, 7th is a Point of Origin.

So Normal Address:
    XXXXXXY
    X-Location
    Y-Point of Origin

Okay, now from the 5th race and Atlantis we have 8-Chevron address:
    XXXXXXAY
    X-Location
    Y-Point of Origin

Alright, now we have the 9th Chevron which has yet to be used, now here is an idea i read and i kinda like it: an Extension. This would come into play when there is more than one gate in a given area. Now i know you already think: well, duh, that cant be true because we had two gates, and we never needed to use the 9th chevron. Well right you are, because if the Ninth isnt used it goes the to the Primary gate, which so happened to be ours.

Okay, so here is how i think a 9 Gate Address would go.
    XXXXXXABY
    X-Location
    B-"Extension" (Gate Selector)
    Y-Point of Origin.

Now if you wanted to go to a planet with more than one gate in the same galaxy you just ignore the area code, which would just mean that it activates a different chevron.

In other words, each chevron has a duty, even in a 8 or 9 glyph address

1-6 are ALWAYS destination glyphs
    7 is ALWAYS point of origin
    8 is ALWAYS galactic addresses
    9 is ALWAYS a gate selector

all thats different is the order the chevrons activate.
    for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
    for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
    for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7

okay, what do you think?
    I've been thinking about this and it may be that the 9th chevron is actually the first chevron (which has a default). But then you put it up against the Destiny and it has me thinking new things.
    What if... the ninth chevron is the first chevron (and uses the least power) and the address they used to access the ship is actually an administrative address kind of like the local host default address: 127.0.0.1?
    The Destiny is part of the stargate development administrative subsystem. Other addresses using similar subsystem addresses would access the gate builder ships, mining vessels, and even scout vessels.
    The power necessary to access the gate would have more to do with the distance involved that the fact that it is a ninth chevron.
    This would open up all kinds of possibilities. This would put the folks on board the Destiny actually INSIDE the ADMINISTRATIVE SUBSYSTEM for a significant section of the gate network.
    I think if this is the theory we operate by then we dramatically expand the possibilities for the writers.
    It kind of makes my head spin thinking about the possibilities.

KK

Probie

Hi everyone! I have the new theory about chevrons, its like BYTE, WORD, DWORD and so on:
    - 1,2 chevrons are the first angle
    - 3,4 chevrons are the second angle
    - 5,6(,7)(,8) chevrons are the distance to the target gates
    - the last chevron is unique ID of the source gates, from where to count angles and distance. So the gates on IKAR were built with an additional specificator for using earth gates as source point. If we want to use the other source point, you should re-calculate the angles and distance. Ancients could simply connect to gates system and use any of source points. So is maybe done with puddle jumpers. And there must be or the center of gate system (database of all source points), or an intercommunication system between all the gates in the universe.

How about this (And that's basicly what the show (SG-U) has said)...

9th chevron sole destination is the "Destiny" gate ( no where else. Why? Because it's a moving stargate, on a moving ship "Destiny". NEVER in the same place twice.), to dial that gate, they needed a whole-lota power. And that's the reason they needed to use the Icarus base, the whole planet was the power souce.

Smiple....

yeah know the galaxy is a big place there has to be more than one icarus type planet out there. Hell you even have the Pegasuses galaxy to search for one albeit you have the wraith to deal with but still. there has to be more than one out there WHY arent they looking for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aroura-Gate View Post
    yeah know the galaxy is a big place there has to be more than one icarus type planet out there. Hell you even have the Pegasuses galaxy to search for one albeit you have the wraith to deal with but still. there has to be more than one out there WHY arent they looking for it?
    who says they arnt?

and oh has everyone forgoten SG canon about naquahdria? it DOESNT exist naturally and is only a biproduct of bla bla (technobabble) on jonas' homeworld where it was first discovered it only existed BC some retarded goa'ulds experiments.

All of these theories are really interesting, but there's one thing I still don't get....

How can you dial Earth's point of origin from just anywhere?!? That pretty much contradicts all of the science they had set up, which is part of what made the franchise so great. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, or they clarified in a later episode I didn't watch, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilybrown View Post
    All of these theories are really interesting, but there's one thing I still don't get....

How can you dial Earth's point of origin from just anywhere?!? That pretty much contradicts all of the science they had set up, which is part of what made the franchise so great. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, or they clarified in a later episode I didn't watch, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.
    it was a CODE, the earth symbol wasnt a point of origin, it was part of the code.

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    it was a CODE, the earth symbol wasnt a point of origin, it was part of the code.
    That's the part I can't quite wrap my brain around... So is there no point of origin at all?

Nope. The address is just a password.

Also spacial coordinates would have never worked with Destiny, it's a constantly moving gate and we'd have no idea where it would be at a certain point in time. It had to be something different.
    Carter:"The singularity is about to explode!"

Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 48889596979899100101 LastLast