Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast

Default Re: Chevron Nine: what does it do

Quote Originally Posted by shipper hannah
    what's this about a ninth chevron? i haven't heard anything about it!
    please tell!!!
    the stargate has 9 chevrons usualy only seven chevrons are used to dial the gate, 6 to determine the coordinates and the 7th as the point of origin (season two spoiler below highlight to see) the the fifth race (season two) jack after downloadin the ancient repository of knowledge into his brain builds a device to make the the 8th chevron work it turns out to add a disstance calculation like another area code so far they havnt done anything with the ninth chevron but lots of people speculate about it i wana hear wat you think it is

Stargate: Horizon Concept Artist TechnoWraith's Avatar

What the Ninth Chevron could do? Hmmmm... We can only imagine:

-Dial Pizza-Intergalactica and get us a hot fresh pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less.
    -Take us to an alternate dimension.
    -Bring back Elvis.
    -Time travel to the dinosaur age so you can run away from a dinosaur that's trying to eat you.
    -Take you to an unknown planet.
    -Make us wonder, "Why do they have a Ninth chevron? They never use it!?"

I have mentioned this theory before, and this is the last time I will bring it up, honest (I'm certain that you'd rather I just shut up about it, so one last time). Anyhow...

I believe that the Ninth Chevron is another distance calculator, allowing the Gate to select a different Galactic group. We know that the 8th Chevron selects other Galaxies, but there are way more galaxies than symbols available for the 8th Chevron. The Local Group of galaxies contains 30 Galaxies, which falls well within the 8th Chevron's symbol numbers. So, my thought is that the 9th Chevron allows you select a different galactic group or cluster, and the galaxies within. With all due respect to the Good Captain Bowman (who doesn't like my theory ), I think this fits well within the established logic of chevron functioning.

YMMV, and as there is no definite data either way, right now it's really for what you want it to be for.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

The ninth chevron balances the Gate, aesthetically-speaking. Until such time as the PTB decide that there's something they want to do and dialling a ninth chevron would be 'just the thing' for it, that's all.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    The ninth chevron balances the Gate, aesthetically-speaking. Until such time as the PTB decide that there's something they want to do and dialling a ninth chevron would be 'just the thing' for it, that's all.
    ok ya that is a good answer but that takes all of the fun out of it everyone knows its just there to bring up ratings when they need it but the reason i started this thread is so people could imagine and theorize what it does in the stargate univerese, in the stargate universe its not there to bring up ratingss it has a function and i started this thread so people could have fun guessing at it an reading what other people think, thank you mr. fun sucker (i was going to call u something else but it would offend some people)

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Macri
    ok ya that is a good answer but that takes all of the fun out of it everyone knows its just there to bring up ratings when they need it but the reason i started this thread is so people could imagine and theorize what it does in the stargate univerese, in the stargate universe its not there to bring up ratingss it has a function and i started this thread so people could have fun guessing at it an reading what other people think, thank you mr. fun sucker (i was going to call u something else but it would offend some people)
    It's nothing to do with ratings; it just looks good like that. The eighth chevron didn't do anything until The Fifth Race, after all.

Anyway, saying what it is actually there for doesn't stop anyone imagining, since the last time I checked, I had no more than a moderate degree of power over the minds of my fellow creatures.

It's nothing to do with ratings; it just looks good like that. The eighth chevron didn't do anything until The Fifth Race, after all.

Anyway, saying what it is actually there for doesn't stop anyone imagining, since the last time I checked, I had no more than a moderate degree of power over the minds of my fellow creatures.
    ok fine u got me but what do u think that the ninth chevron is used for IN THE STARGATE UNIVERSE

It's probably just distance.

Although it was never 100% confirmed, I think it's widely believed the ancients made the Quantum mirror, so it's doubtful the Stargate goes to alternate realities.

It's doubtful it's a time, just because.

just to help somme here is the reason why it isnt time travel

well i dont think that its time travel because of the way the ancients reacted to the time ship in Atlantis episode 115 before i sleep

but i still want u to think of more explanations and if u disagree with some one say so the more you narrow down the closer you get to what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Macri
    ok fine u got me but what do u think that the ninth chevron is used for IN THE STARGATE UNIVERSE
    I think the Gates were built to last and the ninth checron is probably a redundant system built in to allow upgrading of the network without replacing all of the Gates. Either that or it's used for dry-firing the Gate to open an event horizon with no wormhole for diagnostic, maintenance or emergency recovery purposes.

I think the Gates were built to last and the ninth checron is probably a redundant system built in to allow upgrading of the network without replacing all of the Gates. Either that or it's used for dry-firing the Gate to open an event horizon with no wormhole for diagnostic, maintenance or emergency recovery purposes.
    i like that dry firing idea

Second Lieutenant Schrodinger's Cat's Avatar
    In the box, meowing for someone to observe me...

My theory is that the chevron numbers are set by the gravitational alignment of the gate itself. Due to the method that most gates are held upwards by, two chevrons are hidden. The gate network was designed to be used with dial home devices, with manual dialing available as a backup, ring alignment would not be of much importance. The chevron number pattern is, from the botton, 8 3 2 1 7 4 5 6 9. An intergalactical dialing would not require the eigth chevron to be seen, as that would be just the point-of origin chevron. A stargate doesn't seem to have a "This end up sign" on it. Also, Nine chevrons look better than eight or seven.
    Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat
    . A stargate doesn't seem to have a "This end up sign" on it.
    It sort of does... the top most Chevron is different from the other 8. It's unique on the device, in both it's shape and the fact that it goes "Ker-chunk" when the chevrons are being encoded. It probably wouldn't be that hard to figure out that that was supposed to be the top.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IMForeman
    It sort of does... the top most Chevron is different from the other 8. It's unique on the device, in both it's shape and the fact that it goes "Ker-chunk" when the chevrons are being encoded. It probably wouldn't be that hard to figure out that that was supposed to be the top.

-IMF
    All chevrons are capable of doing that. According to my theory, any chevron at the top automaticly becomes the 7th chevron.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Cat
    All chevrons are capable of doing that. According to my theory, any chevron at the top automaticly becomes the 7th chevron.
    Nooooo... I don't think so... take a good look. To my eyes, the top Chevron is completely unique. It's shaped totally different from all the other ones, it's point is open faced and is the only one that Ker-Chunks. The others are inward pointing, and completely stationary.

It might actually be a good tactic to turn the Gate upside down and let Jaffa through, then shoot them as the fall from the sudden inversion.

-IMF
    BAD WOLF!!!

Chevron Re: Chevron Nine: what does it do

What it might do is that it allows a wormhole to activate to a planet with no Stargate. The ancients might of used this to open a wormhole to a planet with no stargate and take the materials with them to build a Stargate.

Gatedialer

Quote Originally Posted by Gatedialer
    What it might do is that it allows a wormhole to activate to a planet with no Stargate. The ancients might of used this to open a wormhole to a planet with no stargate and take the materials with them to build a Stargate.

Gatedialer
    But if there's no Stargate, where do you go when you come out of the wormhole? And where does the wormhole go??

Quote Originally Posted by IMForeman
    Nooooo... I don't think so... take a good look. To my eyes, the top Chevron is completely unique. It's shaped totally different from all the other ones, it's point is open faced and is the only one that Ker-Chunks. The others are inward pointing, and completely stationary.

It might actually be a good tactic to turn the Gate upside down and let Jaffa through, then shoot them as the fall from the sudden inversion.

-IMF
    I haven't seen any top chevrons like that before, but what your seeing could be caused by an image being streched to fit a tv screen. I'll look into it. About the Jaffa, make sure that they fall for it. (All puns intented.)

But if there's no Stargate, where do you go when you come out of the wormhole? And where does the wormhole go??
    I'm sure the ancients knew how to determin where to put it. Maybe the wormhole ends up in orbit around the planet. Then you send a ship through.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatedialer
    I'm sure the ancients knew how to determin where to put it. Maybe the wormhole ends up in orbit around the planet. Then you send a ship through.
    In the opener for Rising pt.1, a gate ship is seen exiting hyperspace (or the giza stargate) in orbit around Earth. It makes sense, so long as the ancient's (or art department's) knowledge of physics is much greater than our's.