This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you ever wanted to know about the 9th chevron

Okay, we all know the basic deal: 1-6 are for a location, 7th is a Point of Origin.

So Normal Address:
    XXXXXXY
    X-Location
    Y-Point of Origin

Okay, now from the 5th race and Atlantis we have 8-Chevron address:
    XXXXXXAY
    X-Location
    A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
    Y-Point of Origin

Alright, now we have the 9th Chevron which has yet to be used, now here is an idea i read and i kinda like it: an Extension. This would come into play when there is more than one gate in a given area. Now i know you already think: well, duh, that cant be true because we had two gates, and we never needed to use the 9th chevron. Well right you are, because if the Ninth isnt used it goes the to the Primary gate, which so happened to be ours.

Okay, so here is how i think a 9 Gate Address would go.
    XXXXXXABY
    X-Location
    A-"Area Code" (Galaxy Address)
    B-"Extension" (Gate Selector)
    Y-Point of Origin.

Now if you wanted to go to a planet with more than one gate in the same galaxy you just ignore the area code, which would just mean that it activates a different chevron.

In other words, each chevron has a duty, even in a 8 or 9 glyph address

1-6 are ALWAYS destination glyphs
    7 is ALWAYS point of origin
    8 is ALWAYS galactic addresses
    9 is ALWAYS a gate selector

all thats different is the order the chevrons activate.
    for a normal connection its: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    for a out of galaxy its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-7
    for an extension its 1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-7 if out of galaxy
    for an extension in galaxy is 1-2-3-4-5-6-9-7

okay, what do you think?

good job..you get a gold star!! Like the theory.
    O'neil: speaking of Anubis' secret base, did you find any cool weapons?
    Carter:.....no.....
    O'neil: NUTS!

Comment

Yeah ! I don't know if this theory is the good one, but it's VERY Interesting I think !

So ... At the time Earth had 2 Stargates, you dial off-world to go on Earth, and so you can select if you want to go to Ra's Egypt or the abandonned Antartica ... that's a quite good idea !

Comment

This was my idea!!! Atleast give me credit!!

Even if you did get it from a completely different source, I demand recognition!!
        FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

i wish i could remember where i got the theory, in no way am I taking credit for it.
          if it indeed is yours, you deserve the credit, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan
            Yeah ! I don't know if this theory is the good one, but it's VERY Interesting I think !

So ... At the time Earth had 2 Stargates, you dial off-world to go on Earth, and so you can select if you want to go to Ra's Egypt or the abandonned Antartica ... that's a quite good idea !
            Precisely what the theory says.

Comment

This theory is atleast one year old, since I posted it on delphi one year ago.

Someone else has probably suggested it before me too, it's not a difficult theory to come up with if you think about it.

Comment

The theory is different. However it seems flawed and unlikely. Knowing that using the 8th Chevron takes a whole load of energy, we can establish that the 9th chevron would take up so much more energy. But it would seem pointless then to waste a ZPM just to get to a second gate on some planet! Maybe it would have strategic advantages... but still.. Why?

Alternate Universes are cooler and more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto

Very cool, though problem with this one is that parallel universes are basically infinite and they represent every conceivable arrangement of quantum units (for lack of a better description for the most fundemental particle in the universe, although strings might be appropriate given the interest in String Theory right now). Since an extremely small portion of these would contain Earth and an even smaller portion of those would contain the Ancients and an infinitely small portion of those would contain the stargate network as it is constituted in this universe, the number of accessible parallel universes would be fairly small relative to the total number of universes (although still a very large number).

Also, based on previous parallel universe episodes of SG1, anyone who travels to a universe where the same matter as themselves (i.e. their body) exists will quickly breakdown into nothing. While the episode didn't make it clear whether this applied to whole bodies or every quantum unit it is reasonable to assume that it is quantum units since the odds of Sam being identical physically in the two universes that interacted are basically zero (especially considering their different life paths). As a result, anything that travelled to another universe would breakdown within a couple of days or weeks.

In other words the Ancients would be visiting universes that were essentially the same as theirs for short periods of time (less than a week), doesn't seem worth it to me. Oh yea and if they were visiting parallel universes surely they wouldve encountered one where they weren't dominant and it woulda scared em into militarizing and not eventually getting their asses kicked by the wraith .

Spoilers for Before I Sleep

My own personal theory on the 9th chevron (dunno if this has been proposed before so don't hate me/sue me/kill me if you or someone else suggested it first) is that it allows for time travel (i.e. the 9th chevron is a a time locator of some sort). Now there are several problems with this theory (e.g. not enough different symbols to allow for any precision in placement in time with one chevron and the Ancients didn't appear to have mastered time travel until just before they ascended (see Before I Sleep)) and I'll address these two quickly since they are the biggest ones I can think of. First, the system may only allow you to travel to set points in time (e.g. the time that stargate was first created and then every 1,000 years afterwards) if you wish to goto any gate in the network, but if you wish to travel to the same gate in the past it may be possible to use most of the chevrons for time specification, thus allowing a degree of precision that is far greater (362,880 different points in time if all 9 cherons are used, 40,320 points if 8 are used and 5,040 points if seven are used). The using more of the chevrons to go back to the same planet is stretching the fabric of the show a little too much for me to consider it something they might actually have planned . As far as when they developed time travel technology to any perfect degree it was clearly after the stargates were built (at least in our galaxy). So I would suggest that they originally didn't use the 9th chevron much as I think the 8th chevron was originally not used since the stargates were originally in only one galaxy. As a result the timeline would go something like this: stargates built with 9 chevrons because Ancient scientist dreams of further distances/parallel universes/time travel - 300,000 BC (don't take the actual times seriously); Ancients figure out how to travel further distances through stargates by using more power and implement the 8th chevron as an area code - 290,000 BC; Ancients refine time travel and implement the 9th chevron as a time code - 250,000 BC.

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                    The theory is different. However it seems flawed and unlikely. Knowing that using the 8th Chevron takes a whole load of energy, we can establish that the 9th chevron would take up so much more energy. But it would seem pointless then to waste a ZPM just to get to a second gate on some planet! Maybe it would have strategic advantages... but still.. Why?

Who says that it would take a lot more energy to activate the 9th than the 8th, maybe it takes only a fraction more energy than the normal 7. As far as why, its a matter of convenience, instead of gating to a world and having to take a transport across a whole planet, just gate to a second gate and your right there. In fact, i would not be suprised if the ancients in their golden era (pre-wraith) if some planets of theirs used more than 1 or even 2 gates.

Comment

the only problem i have with that theory is that it doesn't work, due to the 12345697 bit. assuming the Ancients decided to put gates in many galaxies, then the number of galaxies max would be 37 or 38 or whatever now, if all are used for galaxies and you have extensions, how do you verify whether you want the extension or the galaxy? it could only ever work with there being a full 9 chevron address. the only way it could work is if there was a null value symbol that entered a nothing value for 8 then you could enter a value for 9.

Also, we haven't ever known the ancients to have more then one gate on a planet. we are the only planet ever to have more then 1 gate, and that is only because the Goa'uld brought a gate from a different world.
                      spook

Comment

It doesnt require a massive amount of energy to activate the 8th glyph, it takes a massive amount of energy to activate a wormhole in a different galaxy. If you enter a local galaxy glyph in the 8th glyph, it wouldnt require any extra energy.

And besides, i think 30-ish galaxy addresses is more than enough, i mean i would be suprised if the gate system went to more than 10-12 galaxies. and that would leave 38 gates on a single planet, which also would be more than enough.

as far as the mechanics of the DHD and the 9 chevron system listed above...i dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph
                          It doesnt require a massive amount of energy to activate the 8th glyph, it takes a massive amount of energy to activate a wormhole in a different galaxy. If you enter a local galaxy glyph in the 8th glyph, it wouldnt require any extra energy.

And besides, i think 30-ish galaxy addresses is more than enough, i mean i would be suprised if the gate system went to more than 10-12 galaxies. and that would leave 38 gates on a single planet, which also would be more than enough.

as far as the mechanics of the DHD and the 9 chevron system listed above...i dunno.
                          Only problem with extensions in my mind is that the Ancients were more advanced than the Asgard and the Asgard and teleport to any location on a planet from a ship. So wouldn't it be more likely that the Ancients used a handheld device (or something else) to teleport all over the planet, rather than makign multiple gates for one planet?

Comment

Meh, different technique, but the same effect.

Besides its possible that they didnt have beaming technology when they built the gate system and it could be a kind of obsolete system.

-=shrug=- i dunno, im pulling this outta my arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan
                              I assumed that whichever gate the DHD is connected to is the dominant gate on a world with more than one Stargate...

As for my theory for the 9th chevron, I figured that it just added an extra distance calculation to an existing address... 8 symbol address is another galaxy, 9 symbol address even further? Or maybe the Ancients had anticipated further expansion and built extra chevrons into the gate for that particular purpose?

Any thoughts?
                              "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Working...
                              X