Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 2005
  1. #61
    Captain Jarnin's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Not to pick nits, but I've noticed that a great many people on this site use the word theory without actually knowing what it means, and people using words they don't understand tends to irk me.

    What this entire thread is about is conjecture, not theory. It starts with you making an observation (watching the show). Then you come up with an idea (hypothesis) based on what you saw in the show.

    The problem is, nobody has ever seen the 9th chevron used, thus, no observation has been made. You can't form a hypothesis without observing something first.
    If the show has never used the 9th chevron, any hypothesis anybody tries to come up with is nothing but conjecture (guessing).

    A Theory is not a guess!

    Theories become theories because they stand up to years of experiment and observation by others, not just the person coming up with the theory.

    There should be very few times you can use the word "theory" and anything regarding stargate in the same sentence. The producers and writers change things, thus you can't ever have a theory that works.

    [/Rant]

  2. #62
    Major Wass's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    2,446

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Dude we are talking and speculating amongst over self’s, it’s not an English Language exam so who cares if the wording of some people is not spot on. But I do understand where you’re coming from its cool man just chill and go with flow.

  3. #63
    Airman
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Quote Originally Posted by Furyofaseraph
    So Normal Address:
    XXXXXXY
    X-Location
    Y-Point of Origin
    The "point of origin" thing was only used in the movie. In the series, gate addresses are always the same regardless of where you're dialling from.

  4. #64
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin
    Not to pick nits, but I've noticed that a great many people on this site use the word theory without actually knowing what it means, and people using words they don't understand tends to irk me.

    What this entire thread is about is conjecture, not theory. It starts with you making an observation (watching the show). Then you come up with an idea (hypothesis) based on what you saw in the show.

    The problem is, nobody has ever seen the 9th chevron used, thus, no observation has been made. You can't form a hypothesis without observing something first.
    If the show has never used the 9th chevron, any hypothesis anybody tries to come up with is nothing but conjecture (guessing).

    A Theory is not a guess!

    Theories become theories because they stand up to years of experiment and observation by others, not just the person coming up with the theory.

    There should be very few times you can use the word "theory" and anything regarding stargate in the same sentence. The producers and writers change things, thus you can't ever have a theory that works.

    [/Rant]

    as a scientist I agree - I think you caught me on that slip once - but the vernacular is so insidious sometimes when one converses with laymen you forget. I notice that most of my comment lacks proper capitalization and punctuation too
    Last edited by roswellgray; November 16th, 2004 at 09:31 PM.

  5. #65
    First Lieutenant sharky277's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Milford, New Jersey
    Posts
    575

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    i like ur thoery very much, but for some reason, i dont think it will be true. what i think will happen is if/when they activate the 9th chevron, it will be something we never ever thought of, and it will blow our minds. or it could just be for symmetry and not be able to activate at all.
    Signature oversized: Click to view.

  6. #66
    Lieutenant Colonel WraithWarrior's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Helping Anubis take back his domain!!!!
    Posts
    3,849

    Chevron Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wass
    May I ask from who have you heard this.
    I read it on the net somewhere. I hope it is true because they can then develop the story lines more and go into more depth on how the Stargate works.

  7. #67
    Airman 9-Chevron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Future
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Quote Originally Posted by AsgardCarnage
    not really spoilers but ehers some space any way for atlantis 109 home

    the say that the atlantis gate is the only one that can connect to earth via the 8th symbol because it is a unique DHD with an 8th control crystal. so not even atlanstis could use the 9th symbol they would have to make a new dhd in order to use it. so either there is a 9th symbol DHD out there we havn't found yet or the acients just put it on the gate for exspantion space later.

    if we wanted to test it would need to use the earth gate with a fully powered ZPM (so u know u have enough power/ more then enough) and write a new version of the dialing computer to use the 9th symbol then cold dial 37^8 = 3,512,479,453,921 and while i have the calculator out, assuming it takes 1 min to try and dial a location and not get a lock and move on (maybe less but easier to calc) it would take 6,851,746 years (ok i was really board) so basicly we aint never gunna find out!
    your conjecture maybe correct but also there is a probability that the acients bug all the other gates across pegasus galaxy so that the wraith couldnt travel to other galaxies leaven atlantis with the only dhd able to dial out the galaxy

    now my 2 cents have you ever think of the posibility that the 9th chevron is use to activate the wormhole to work both ways?making gate travel posible both ways in on shot?
    Last edited by 9-Chevron; November 17th, 2004 at 09:28 AM.

  8. #68
    Chief Master Sergeant kelmah's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boringville- Stargate Fan population: 1
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    If there are two gates on a planet, and only one of them is attached to a DHD (making it the primary gate), how do you dial out from the other gate? Do you have two DHDs and just connect and disconnect them as needed? Or is there just one DHD, and you have to move it around when you want to switch primary gates?

  9. #69
    Chief Master Sergeant kelmah's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boringville- Stargate Fan population: 1
    Posts
    227

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    The "point of origin" thing was only used in the movie. In the series, gate addresses are always the same regardless of where you're dialling from.
    Not really, they just don't point it out as much anymore.
    In the beginning of the series, they always had to find the one different symbol on the DHD when they got there, so that they could dial home quickly when they were being shot at by pissed locals or jaffa.

  10. #70
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: puddlejumpers and the 9th chevron

    I was thinking about the quandry of the eighth and ninth chevrons and how could one activate the 9th chevron without activating the 8th?

    I propose that puddlejumpers in deepspace without a stargate which want to use a wormhole to some gate whereever do this:

    Activate ALL 9 CHEVRONS. In this situation the first six glyphs would act as usual to mark the destination point.

    However, the remaining 3 glyphs when ALL encoded would act as the location in deep space of the puddlejumper - say by the 3 remaining glyphs symbolizing the 3 nearest stars to the puddlejumper forming a triangle with the puddlejumper at the apex and then the 3 closest of the destination glyphs comprizing the remaining for a total of 6 to indicate the departure point in deep space of the puddlejumper.

  11. #71

    Chevron Re: puddlejumpers and the 9th chevron

    By Roswellgrey:
    also, for current real science, what is the speculation about wormhole formation?
    besides being 2 way they must open at both ends without being fixed to something n'est pas?
    [science geek warning]
    Well according to the Super string theory, Wormholes operate by creating a gravametric disturbence in the fabric of space, and then cut through a layer called "Sub Space" (a layer of space that exists outside of the physical plane between atoms and outside of time).

    The Chaos portion of the String theory allows Wormholes to form naturally though choatically. Basically a natural wormhole would Jump it's ends around erratically as the energy in the ecretion disk builds to the formation of a event horizen. Basically the event horizens creation would distabalize each ends fixture points in our space, making it appear anywhere.

    Also in a natural forming wormhole the String theory believes it would be two way where as it postulates that a forced wormhole would at best allow only micro atom-mic material to pass both ways, but no real mass.
    [/science geek warning]

    Okie back to Stright SG stuff.

    Well, we don't know much about puddle jumpers yet so lord knows what they could do.. And we still know very little about the ancients (you'd think Daniel would of asked more questions while accended).

    Mind you, we don't even know for certain if the Anceints were first in our Galaxy or in Ida or in Pegasus.

    With so little facts it's hard to draw many conclusions.

    I mean sure, it's possible puddle jumpers could act as thier own gates (but then why would the Ancients put stargates around the pegasus galaxy, where the Wraith could use them?)

    we know they fought and eventually lost to the wraith.. and well.. I don't think the ancients were dumb enough to leave SG's around for the enemy to use if thier own Puddlejumpers (PJ's) could act as thier own gates.

    maybe i'm just thinking too much

    But let's assume it would work that way..

    well if a PJ's could open thier own wormholes, likly you would punch in the destination points, the Jumper would then do a intelligent look for a gate as your dialing, see none then prolly designate a special 7th, 8th and 9th glyphs to "jumper gating"

    [science geek warning]
    Also the physics of Stargate travel and wormhole travel still remain the same if it's a jumper or another gate.. you still have the gate going from point A (where the jumper/gate is) to the 6 point triangulated point in space (point B)

    So the theory for gate travel still maintains as W = (6p)+Sp.

    Sp = Start Point. since you know the exact point in space your at, your telling the wormhole generator where to target the wormhole from the Sp
    [/science geek warning]

    also how then do hyperspace windows travel before closing?
    Okay, basically from what i gathered from show cannon Hyperspace windows are like ST's "Warp bubble".. it creates a "window" around the vessel that disrupts the laws of relitivity, and the window would automatically close and return to normal as soon as the Hyperspace generator was out of range.

    either that or or the "window" is like SW's hyperdrive in which the drive slips the ship into a contuint that already exists inthe folds of subspace.

    TBH.. need more info on how the hyperspace drive works before really can say if it actually even closes.

    Edit: Damn that's one long post O_O
    Last edited by Fox'atuus; November 17th, 2004 at 06:55 PM.

  12. #72
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    209

    Default Re: puddlejumpers and the 9th chevron

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox'atuus
    [science geek warning]
    Well according to the Super string theory, Wormholes operate by creating a gravametric disturbence in the fabric of space, and then cut through a layer called "Sub Space" (a layer of space that exists outside of the physical plane between atoms and outside of time).
    eh, I hate to login in I'm so tired and I hate taking a whack at your science geek warning thing but here goes.........superstring theory to my knowledge proposes 11 dimensions with 3 normal and 8 curled up.....if you uncurl 1 or more of those I suppose that might be used to explain hyperspace.....but I don't remember any of those curled dimensions being called "subspace" - and even while curled the theory suggests that all matter and time still travel simul thru those dimensions while crossing the uncurled 3 dimensions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox'atuus
    The Chaos portion of the String theory allows Wormholes to form naturally though choatically. Basically a natural wormhole would Jump it's ends around erratically as the energy in the ecretion disk builds to the formation of a event horizen. Basically the event horizens creation would distabalize each ends fixture points in our space, making it appear anywhere.
    yes true but that was my point. a stargate isn't necessary for wormhole formation - perhaps the jumper would use these "struts" or some other way to temporary hold the wormhole mouth in one place

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox'atuus
    Also in a natural forming wormhole the String theory believes it would be two way where as it postulates that a forced wormhole would at best allow only micro atom-mic material to pass both ways, but no real mass.
    [/science geek warning]
    agreed



    Quote Originally Posted by Fox'atuus
    I mean sure, it's possible puddle jumpers could act as thier own gates (but then why would the Ancients put stargates around the pegasus galaxy, where the Wraith could use them?)

    we know they fought and eventually lost to the wraith.. and well.. I don't think the ancients were dumb enough to leave SG's around for the enemy to use if thier own Puddlejumpers (PJ's) could act as thier own gates.

    maybe i'm just thinking too much

    But let's assume it would work that way..
    the gate system was already up and active when the wraith were discovered..... and very possibly the wraith don't know all the secrets of the gate.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox'atuus
    well if a PJ's could open thier own wormholes, likly you would punch in the destination points, the Jumper would then do a intelligent look for a gate as your dialing, see none then prolly designate a special 7th, 8th and 9th glyphs to "jumper gating"
    not sure what saying.....

  13. #73
    Captain PoeticTragedy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Leeds, England
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    That just gives me the image of drunken locals or drunken Jaffa rambling on and tryin to fight with sg-1...or trying it on with carter

  14. #74
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    its possible that with an 8 chevron lock the first 7 choose the galaxy and the 8th is the PoO and that the wormhole connects to the gate with the control crystal. so instead of being 30-ish galaxy combinations there are thosands. i like the extenion idea. maybe the 9th chevron is to adapt to alien gate networks or it chooses the colour of the wormhole

  15. #75
    Second Lieutenant somme's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Theory i read on the 9th Chevron...

    Quote Originally Posted by Positively Kanyon
    Brilliant! That's the analogy I was trying to come up with, but you summed it up perfectly.

    Anybody else agree or disagree, any more theories?
    I agree, would make the most sense anyways.

  16. #76
    Lieutenant Colonel _Owen_'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,313

    Earth Symbol All you ever wanted to know about the 9th chevron

    this might be like another thread but i wanted to hear some thoughts about it

  17. #77
    Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,091

    Default Re: Chevron Nine: what does it do

    There's lots of threads about it. They'll tell you : time travel, more galaxies (I doubt that though), different realities...
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

    Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

    "Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "



  18. #78
    Lieutenant Colonel _Owen_'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,313

    Default Re: Chevron Nine: what does it do

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
    There's lots of threads about it. They'll tell you : time travel, more galaxies (I doubt that though), different realities...
    well i dont think that its time travel because of the way the ancients reacted to the time ship in Atlantis episode 115 before i sleep and i doubt its diffrent realities htey have proved in sg1 haveing more than 1 of yourself in a reality is fatal i think it might be a distance extesion or something i want it to be something cooler tho anyway let me hear you ideas

  19. #79
    Robin Masters shipper hannah's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,340

    Heart Re: Chevron Nine: what does it do

    what's this about a ninth chevron? i haven't heard anything about it!
    please tell!!!

  20. #80
    Second Lieutenant Whistler's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Lost City of the Isle of Wight, UK
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Chevron Nine: what does it do

    Well noone knows! The Ninth Chevron has not been used once in Stargate's history, it is the final unexplained mystery of the gate, at least the last major one. There are many theories, I personally think it could be the subject of a further spin-off, ofcourse all we know is that the Ninth Chevron will be the point of Origin

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. chevron
    By Lord Zedd in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM
  2. Who is Chevron Guy?
    By Erik Pasternak in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: September 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM
  3. 9th chevron?
    By True!Ancient in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM
  4. Chevron 9
    By mokurai in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •