X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth about Sha're/Sha'uri

In the movie it was Sha'uri

In the series it was Sha're

Some people say it was changed because RDA thought Sha'uri was too hard to pronounce - is this true?

Anyone heard any other reasons?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Well, it's been my personal hypothesis for awhile that they changed it because somebody found it hard to pronounce - but if you ask me, there are a few flaws to that. For example, few people can pronounce "goa'uld" properly - let alone RDA - and they used that word. And for another thing, I can't remember many times RDA has used Sha're's name - though he's used the word "goa'uld" aplenty. (Mispronounced as it was...)
    [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

They changed it for the same reason they changed Jack O'Neil to Jack O'Neill, O'Niel being a specific spelling of the a name relating to the movie. Even though you don't notice it even small things like the chevrons are different (7 in the movie gate) this was done for legal reasons to differentiate them from the movie.

Comment

Huh... weird. Oh, well... at least we don't have a Daneel Jaxxon running around.

One thing I noticed about the chevrons was that they were changed from blue to red. This disappointed me, because I thought the blue looked prettier.
        [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
          Huh... weird. Oh, well... at least we don't have a Daneel Jaxxon running around.
          I sure second that.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords
            They changed it for the same reason they changed Jack O'Neil to Jack O'Neill, O'Niel being a specific spelling of the a name relating to the movie. Even though you don't notice it even small things like the chevrons are different (7 in the movie gate) this was done for legal reasons to differentiate them from the movie.
            Actually, the movie gate had 9 as well, two were just blocked from view, as is often the case in the series. As I recall, the original plan for Stargate was a trilogy of movies and the following movies would make use of the extra chevrons.

I'm not sure why spellings got changed. Legal reasons could be a possibility, but the changes seem too arbitrary for that to be the case.
            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I didn't even relise that their names were different.

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords
                this was done for legal reasons to differentiate them from the movie.
                I doubt that as all the rights were sold to MGM
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                  Actually, the movie gate had 9 as well, two were just blocked from view, as is often the case in the series. As I recall, the original plan for Stargate was a trilogy of movies and the following movies would make use of the extra chevrons.
                  Anyone know why they changed their minds and made a series instead?

sigpic
                  Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                  Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                    For long term financial gains rather than short term profit
                    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                      You need to understand who 'they' are in this case. The writing team from the movie (Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich) wanted to follow up the original Stargate movie with 2 sequels. They NEVER changed their minds; and those sequels are now available as books. Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich !HATE! SG-1 and the whole direction it has gone in. They HATE it so much so they demanded their names NOT be included in the SG-1 credits (even thought they should be)... they distanced themselves from the SG-1 universe as much as possible.

However, MGM owns the sequel rights and were impressed by the idea for a TV series... which they ultimately acted upon, killing any chance of making the sequels Dean and Roland has planned. MGM wanted (and has) built up an entire franchise... a continuing saga... and not just 3 movies.

So the original writers went to create Idependence Day (ID4) and just a few movies since (Godzilla, The Thirteenth Floor, Eight Legged Freaks).

Thus, there is much discontinuity between the movie and the series, such as:
                      - Sha'uri v. Sha're (+ Recasting)
                      - Sarah v. Sara (Jack's Wife) (+ Recasting)
                      - Tyler v. Charlie (Jack's Son) (+ Recasting)
                      - RDA v. Kurt Russell (Recasting)
                      - Michael Shanks v. James Spader (Recasting)
                      - Elizabeth Hoffman v. Viveca Lindfors (Dr. Catherine Langford) (Recasting)
                      - The Set & Stargate Was Rebuilt (Many Differences Here)
                      - The Location Of Abidos (Other Side Of Known Universe in Movie, Within Our Galaxy in SG-1)
                      - The Sarcoghagus (sp?) - Opened very cool and smooth CGI in Movie, Jerky physical effect in SG-1)
                      - Cheyenne Mountain v. Different Mountain Name (forget)

However,
                      There are some instances where the continuity does match,
                      - Shaking Of Gate (need to add dampners)
                      - Wormhole Animation (until season 9)
                      - Lack Of Lights On Movie Stargate (not enough power)
                      - The 'Freeze' Effect (not enough power)
                      - The cool animated effect of Ra's serpent guard head armour (too expensive for tv, so they just don't show the effect... except in Mobius)
                      - The characters of Kasuf and Skaara (Same Actors)
                      - The absence of General West (Hammond took over)

Because many of the producers and writers of SG-1 also work on The Outer Limits.. the similarity between the two shows is uncanny:
                      - Identical + Reused Plot Lines
                      - Reused Props (the Goa'uld themselves appeared in an The Outer Limits episode briefly as an alien animal)
                      - Similar casting (many SG-1 actors have also appeared on The Outer Limits).
                      - Same network (originally Showtime, then later SciFi)
                      - Same filming locations
                      - Probably the same studios (Bridge Studios in Vancouver)

Comment

Originally posted by KayMan2k
                        Thus, there is much discontinuity between the movie and the series, such as:
                        - Sha'uri v. Sha're (+ Recasting)
                        i thought Sha'uri was the same actor
                        Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                        sigpic

Comment

You have got to be kidding me, you didn't notice the dif. between the movie Sha're and the tv show sha're.
                          In the movie she was the hottest hotty in the universe, in the tv show she is just another brunette, and a not so attractive one at that. IMHO
                          Hallowed are the Eey-Ore!

Comment

come on now shes not in that many eps and its been along time since i've seen one with her in it and also quite some time since i've watched the movie
                            Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
                              come on now shes not in that many eps and its been along time since i've seen one with her in it and also quite some time since i've watched the movie
                              She has not been in any episodes recently because
                              Spoiler:
                              she is dead
                              Hallowed are the Eey-Ore!

Comment

Working...
                              X