Charmed : Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charmed : Discussion/Appreciation

OK I'm not sure if there's a thread already like this so I'll apologise in advance.

Within the last couple of months I started to watch those lovely Halliwell sisters in Charmed, and I was just curious how many people liked better than Buffy. I mean Buffy had the kick ass action but I felt that the later seasons got too serious where as with Charmed there's always a joke or a nice bit of Sarcasm. Who agrees? So far I've all of seasons 3 through to 7 and i've just started watching season 1 (I know it's an odd order to do it in, but I never really liked Prue that much when I first started watching so I jumped ahead plus the stories and the humour got so much better).
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Originally posted by P-90_177
    Within the last couple of months I started to watch those lovely Halliwell sisters in Charmed, and I was just curious how many people liked better than Buffy. I mean Buffy had the kick ass action but I felt that the later seasons got too serious where as with Charmed there's always a joke or a nice bit of Sarcasm. Who agrees?
    I love Charmed! I started watching in a few years back...and since...I've seen all of the seasons several times, and I own seasons 1 and 2 on DVD...and in November...I'll buy season 3.

I never got in to Buffy...it just didn't appeal to me. However...I can relate to the sisters on Charmed. We all have something in our lives that we feel we can't share with others for fear of rejection or getting hurt. Plus...I like the philosophy of not harming others...and the on going idea of "everything happens for a reason." That has played out in my life quite a bit.

So...I'm all for Charmed. Heck...my computer at home is "Prue" my laptop is "Piper," and my car is also "Prue." LOL. My friends say that I'm sortta a mix of Prue and Piper. Gotta love Piper's sarcasm!
    sigpic

Comment

I try not to admit this in public, but yeah, i watch charmed... Seen all eps as far as britain goes. S1-6 many, many times. I used to watch the double bill daily on LivingTV for about a year and a bit! They're making a new series as well, despite the feel of series finale at the end of S7. And not only will the 3 lovely Halliwell sisters be in it, but that woman from "8 Simple Rules". Can't remember her name, spelt weird and all.... The blonde, stunningly beautiful one. But, Daryl's been cut, and Leo's hardly in it. He's so cool...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I for one think Buffy was better Charmed.

Charmed seasons 1-3 kicked tons of butt, but the rest was crap. Charmed S3 was the best because it had a mix of comedy and seriousness and not just retarded storylines in S4-present.

I liked Buffy because i grew up with the characters, i was their age and had similar problems (obviously with the school stuff). The acting for me was more realistic and mature.

One example why Buffy is on a whole different level than Charmed is back in Season 2 of Buffy when Angel turned evil. The whole complexity of their love relationship was tested and heart breaking, nothing on Charmed really didn't give me the same effect.

There was this essay on why Charmed is better than Buffy, one example the author wrote is that on Charmed, characters stay dead. Which i thought was really stupid, because on Charmed, they die practically every other episode (sarcasm). Yes, Angel comes back from the dead, but his returning from the dead actually has meaning and depth and in Charmed, all they can do is reset time, yes i know, its easier said than done, but its tons more possible in Charmed's universe than Buffy's universe with just a simple chant or something.

Both Charmed and Buffy had rules for being what they are, 'no personal gain' for Charmed and just a whole bunch of rules for Buffy herself. In Charmed, they stressed on how bad it is to break the personal gain rule, and it was said in the most recent episode that they dont do personal gain, but they have over and over (im not giving examples because if you watch past episodes, you will catch them).

Buffy actually has continuity with some minor flaws, but in Charmed, wow. In the first couple of seasons their basement door has changed, the 'nexus' turned out to be both the woogieman and 'the shadow' or whatever, etc.

Obviously this is strongly a one sided view, but that just shows how much i think Buffy is better.
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Oh well...Charmed will always win out in my book!

This week's episode is gonna be called "Desparate House Witch"...gotta love it!
          Spoiler:
          I can't wait to see the cat fight between Paige and Phoebe!
          sigpic

Comment

i've been soo busy posting here on GW that i've completely forgotten to tune into the new season.... i'm soo mad at myself right now.... I'm a HUGE Charmed fan, partly cause i'm wiccan and they have some great potion recipes on there .....

Piper's my favourite Sister, i act just like her... there are times when i'm soo angry and wave my arms the way she does and wish something would blow up so i could feel better... there have also been times where i wish i could freeze everything (especially during class changes and having to navigate overcrouded halls)
            I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
            sigpic

Comment

Ya know...I was wondering one thing. I've seen all of the episodes of Charmed. And I love the show. I just want to know...
              Spoiler:
              how they're getting around the personal gain thing with the "new faces" they've been using. Because no one stands to benefit from them hiding except the sisters. Also, in the third episode of the season...where they go and scare that corrupt ADA...since when do they use their powers to punish the guilty? I thought that is why Pheobe was being burned at the stake in the 2nd season episode when the sisters go to the future to save her and the witch hunts had started again.
              Anyone have any thoughts on these things?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo
                One example why Buffy is on a whole different level than Charmed is back in Season 2 of Buffy when Angel turned evil. The whole complexity of their love relationship was tested and heart breaking, nothing on Charmed really didn't give me the same effect.

There was this essay on why Charmed is better than Buffy, one example the author wrote is that on Charmed, characters stay dead. Which i thought was really stupid, because on Charmed, they die practically every other episode (sarcasm). Yes, Angel comes back from the dead, but his returning from the dead actually has meaning and depth and in Charmed, all they can do is reset time, yes i know, its easier said than done, but its tons more possible in Charmed's universe than Buffy's universe with just a simple chant or something.
                I enjoy watching Charmed sometimes but this was always one of their failings. It's a very shallow series. There are few events with any meaning. Death means nothing since all you have to do is summon them up, go back in time, change your appearance, yadda yadda. Everything is just too easy for them and when they try to make it difficult and meaningful they contradict themselves. The best thing that the show ever did was killing Pru, not because I didn't like her but because she's the only valuable person who died and stayed dead, which they later ruined by replacing her so quickly.

Buffy is a better show but it's also very different from Charmed, it's darker more serious and more meaningful.
                If you take Charmed at face value it is enjoyable but not without some glaring flaws that they would do well to address (although it just may be too late). There have been too many times when they take the cuteness and sillyness factor way too far into cheesiness. Lady Godiva, the mermaid....

There is also a complete imbalance in powers. They have too much sometimes and too little by comparison at others. They have come across way too many other witches or beings who have enough power, that their status as "special" or "charmed" is really questionable.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

that's cause the Charmed isn't a Power of Three, but rather, a Power of Four.... think about it, Triquatra has four pieces, Three equals and one omniscant, ever-flowing force. that's the reason why there are altogether four sisters... but somewhere during the battles between the Gods and the Elders, the original Charmed Prophecy was lost... the Elders rebuilt the Prophecy on the fragments they had, which unfortunately only states the Three equal powers but mentions nothing of the Fourth omniscant power

it is my belief that Prue is the omniscant power. I say this because the sisters could only defeat the Source after He had killed Prue, and last season, They were able to kill Zanku cause Prue helped them... Though Prue is no longer a Sentient being, her power still influences her younger sisters....

The Prophecy stated that the Charmed would defeat the unltimate evil. The Elders thought that meant the Source, and offered the sisters an out when they had defeated Cole and Phoebe's unborn child. The sisters didn't except the out cause deep down, they knew their work was not complete. The test of their power was defeating the Nexus, The Power that reviles all powers, and whne in certain hands, the true unltimate evil. This season, even though I haven't watched it yet, the Sisters are no longer Charmed, they have fulfilled their prophecy. Personal Gain is no longer an issue. Before, there was the fear that their power would corrupt them if they used them for PG. At that time, they were the universes only hope of creating Utopia. Now, they haven't reached that goal yet, but in these past, what is it? 8 yrs?, they have gone soo far. The Utopia that Pheobe saw, is within reach, and in truth, the Avitars will play a very little role in it's creation.

The Sisters are now free to do as they wish. Without the Nexus, they are no longer a threat nor savior to humanity. Now it is time for humanity to evolve and create it's own peace. True Utopia will come from hard work and Free will. The Sisters have done their part. Now its up to the rest of the world.
                  sigpic

Comment

They're still charmed though! As for they're part being done, doesnt paige still get calls from the elders?

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                    the mermaid....
                    I liked the mermaid....

Comment

yes, but as a whitelighter, not as a Witch.... They are no longer Charmed, they are still the Power of Three.... but as witches, they are no longer needed.... i wouldn't be surprised if their powers started to dissapate now that they have nothing to fight
                      sigpic

Comment

.....The new series sounds rubbish Half the fun was seeing what new power they had got at the beginning of each season. The better not dissipate. Looks like it's all downhill from here. Apart from "Billie"!

Comment

I got into Charmed because of an impulse buy. I was in Future Shop and I saw Charmed season 1 on for about $30 so I grabbed it, and bought it. I saw a couple episodes on TV before and I really liked the show.

Have no regretted buying it. Watched it, loved it, bought season 2 - love it more.

I'm not watching it on TV. I'm relying on DVDs. I'm going to buy season 3 when it comes out next month

So far, I LOVE Leo! And Phoebe... I don't really like Prue though...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

She's a bit of a wet blacket ain't she?! Then she loosens up and says it's "the new her" and right next episode she's back to being up tight again. I was gonna say something there, but i don't wanna ruin anything for you so i'll leave it at that!

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                              .....The new series sounds rubbish Half the fun was seeing what new power they had got at the beginning of each season. The better not dissipate. Looks like it's all downhill from here. Apart from "Billie"!
                              oh don't take my word for it!!! the last episode i saw was last year's season finale when they vanquished the Nexus.... i have no idea how the new season is so far... most of what i said before is based on my knowledge of how prophecies work... who knows the Charmed PTB might have somethingelse in mind.... though i do remember reading somewhere that this is prolly the last season for the current cast, and if they do continue next year, there'll be brand new cast....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X