This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any guesses...

... why precisely the current Dr. Who series isn't shown in the states???

Or is it and I'm just oblivious?

I don't know precisely, but I've heard that the reason is that the companions they are trying to sell it too aren't buying. Like Scifi and BBC America. Which is stupid in my opinion because this is just the kind of thing they should be showing!

Again, I don't know for sure, so if I'm wrong I apoligize.
    "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Plenty of rumors around, not sure which, if any, is correct. I heard that Sci-Fi was interested, previews it, and then decided they weren't interested anymore. I've also heard that the series is simply too expensive. And then I've heard that some channels *are* interested, but only after two complete seasons instead of just the one.
      Eh, who knows.

Comment

Well, I guess I can find comfort in the fact that no one really has the definitive answer on that...

Ohwell... I have to resign myself (once again) to the fact that the powers that be are slow to act or otherwise uninterested. Figures.

Comment

I've been asking about this since January, and still don't have an answer
          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

They're probably afraid of ratings remeber how bad the ratings for the movie were.
            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
              They're probably afraid of ratings remeber how bad the ratings for the movie were.
              I honestly didn't know the ratings were bad... as for myself and my family, we really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Caprice
                ... why precisely the current Dr. Who series isn't shown in the states???

Or is it and I'm just oblivious?
                I heard a rumor that the BBC is making another attempt to sell the new series in America.

If they are not successful by mid-2006, they are selling direct to DVD in America. If a broadcaster is found, the DVDs probably will be released earlier.

Also, until that happens, the classic series will not be shown, since it is being withheld potentially as part of a package deal with the new series.

Perhaps a petition is in order. BBC America, Sci-Fi Channel, and ABC all have been approached.

Comment

I've seen some petitions so far, been signing most of them, but no luck yet. Anyone know if there are any new ones going? Anything to get Who over here finally.
                  "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Rowana
                    I've seen some petitions so far, been signing most of them, but no luck yet. Anyone know if there are any new ones going? Anything to get Who over here finally.
                    This is the only one I could find.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/3384.html

Comment

My guess is that the series was very "british". There was a lot of humour in it that I don't think would have travelled well. I think that would have put off a lot of american networks.

I'm surprised that someone like sci-fi didn't pick it up though. It was a little silly, but it was very entertaining. The series went down very well over here, and drew in a lot of non-scifi viewers, so maybe some of the networks will reconsider it. It managed to get good ratings on a saturday night, which is pretty unusual.

Comment

We can only hope.

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Working...
                        X