2001 (510)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    I think they were hampered by several factors, mainly that Kinsey insisted the negotiations continue and that only Carter could accompany Joe, and that SG-1 didn't have solid proof of their suspicions about the Aschen without the complete translation. I thought Daniel's plan to have Sam trick Borren into translating the word was the best they could do under the circumstances.

I think we're meant to assume it was the bio-weapon the Aschen were about to send, or at least that's what I thought when watching that scene.

Some thoughts for the challenge thread:

I saw this episode before 2010, so the dramatic reveal of the Aschen as the potential allies in the teaser was rather lost on me at the time. But I think this was a nice follow-up to 2010, with a similarly nice sense of team.

I really liked the teamwork shown between SG-1 and the SGC. Loved the way SG-1 delivered the briefing in their own unique ways, Sam with the technobabble, Daniel about their culture, Teal'c bluntly pointing out Jack's misgivings, and Jack stating them in his own quirky way. And much love for the gateroom scene with SG-1, Joe, and his shoes.

I also really liked how the team worked well together when paired up on the planet. Like Teal'c immediately knowing Daniel's real intentions when Daniel tells the Volian guy that Teal'c staff weapon could take care of his iron root. I also really liked seeing them piece together the planet's past, with Daniel sensibly taking the lead in the investigation, but with Teal'c providing his own insights.

I also liked Sam and Jack working with Joe in the negotiations, though both were unaccustomed to the role. But I especially liked seeing SG-1 and Hammond figure out together a plan to catch the Aschen off guard and confirm their suspicions, Hammond seeing the opportunity to force their hand, Daniel coming up with a subtle way of doing it, and Sam immediately agreeing to their plan.

But what really struck me about this episode was how much SG-1 and the SGC seemed to have learned from their experience with the Eurondans in the Other Side. This had a similar set-up of feeling out a potential ally that could really help them fight the Goa'uld, but this time you have Hammond pre-emptively ordering Daniel and Teal'c to dig deeper and ask questions, and trying to have other SG teams confirm if the Aschen were the people the note warned about. And I noticed Jack, otherwise bored with the negotiations, do a slight double-take a Mollem asking them if they've used military means for population control on Earth, and getting the bad feeling about them before they find out about the note's importance.

And on a final note, I just love the final scene with Sam flying through the gate and rolling down the ramp. Definitely one of the most dramatic exits and I wince in sympathy every time.
    great review.i also have never noticed the connedtion with the Other Side.i really enjoyed this episode and it is one of the best team eps stargate has done.kinsey of course was kinsey...surprised u didnt mention him sonce it was crucial to the story lol

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
      All excellent points! You are so right about the way the team works together in this one!

I'd never thought about this in conjunction with 'The Other Side'. That brings up some very interesting questions. The primary one for me is how much of their caution is related to past experience, and how much is related to the note. I'd always figured that the note was the motivating factor and the thing that thing that saved them--that without it history would have repeated itself and proving that the future teams sacrifice was warrented. This is a time issue, and in the iteration where they sacrificed themselves to send the note, they presumably went to Euronda, as well.
      I think the lessons learned from The Other Side are shown with Hammond asking Daniel and Teal'c to dig deeper before they realize that the locked out planet from the note was a possibility as the Aschen homeworld, and with Jack's reaction to Mollem's ideas of population control.

So to me, Hammond and Jack were being more cautious and doubtful of the Aschen before the note even became a factor. I think the note was important in sealing the deal on their mistrust and stopping a repeat of 2010 with everyone not trusting Jack, but it wasn't the only factor that saved them this time around, IMO.

I always feel just terrible for Joe.
      Me too. He tragically joins the ranks of innocent victims caught in the crossfire of war along with Sha're, Skaarra, Martouf, Shau'nac, Rothman, Janet and so many others.

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
      great review.i also have never noticed the connedtion with the Other Side.i really enjoyed this episode and it is one of the best team eps stargate has done.kinsey of course was kinsey...surprised u didnt mention him sonce it was crucial to the story lol
      Oh Kinsey, how could I forget about him.

Actually, I meant to talk about him, but I was kinda rushed finishing my post since I had to get up far too early to go riding around in an ambulance all day today.

But thanks for the reminder! Yes, Kinsey was Kinsey, self-serving, arrogant, power-hungry, and absolutely relishing the chance to stick-it to the SGC. He's a bit of a cliche of an American politician, but I rather like him as a sort of down-to-earth 'enemy' of the SGC in contrast to the aliens, robots, and such.

I especially liked how Jack just completely ignored his demands and blustering after Sam returned. Kinsey seems fixated on Jack and SG-1 as his enemy, but they treat him more like an annoyance and someone just not worth their time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

Oh Kinsey, how could I forget about him.

Actually, I meant to talk about him, but I was kinda rushed finishing my post since I had to get up far too early to go riding around in an ambulance all day today.

But thanks for the reminder! Yes, Kinsey was Kinsey, self-serving, arrogant, power-hungry, and absolutely relishing the chance to stick-it to the SGC. He's a bit of a cliche of an American politician, but I rather like him as a sort of down-to-earth 'enemy' of the SGC in contrast to the aliens, robots, and such.

I especially liked how Jack just completely ignored his demands and blustering after Sam returned. Kinsey seems fixated on Jack and SG-1 as his enemy, but they treat him more like an annoyance and someone just not worth their time.
        lol its cool ill forgive..this time.but uh wat were u doing in an ambulence all day...work???but yeah that scene was entertaing...ida punched kinsey during the scene in the limo but thats just me

Comment

I think the lessons learned from The Other Side are shown with Hammond asking Daniel and Teal'c to dig deeper before they realize that the locked out planet from the note was a possibility as the Aschen homeworld, and with Jack's reaction to Mollem's ideas of population control.

So to me, Hammond and Jack were being more cautious and doubtful of the Aschen before the note even became a factor. I think the note was important in sealing the deal on their mistrust and stopping a repeat of 2010 with everyone not trusting Jack, but it wasn't the only factor that saved them this time around, IMO.
          Ahhh, I'll clearly have to watch it again--I thought they'd seen the note earlier than that.
          I do think that Jack would always have reacted badly to a suggestion of using the army as a means of population control, even before 'The Other Side'.

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
            lol its cool ill forgive..this time.but uh wat were u doing in an ambulence all day...work???but yeah that scene was entertaing...ida punched kinsey during the scene in the limo but thats just me
            I work part-time as an EMT and while doing my review I got a late call telling me my shift had been switched and I needed to come in early. Got maybe 3 hours of sleep that night, but my partner made up for it with chocolate popsicles.

Originally posted by amconway View Post
            Ahhh, I'll clearly have to watch it again--I thought they'd seen the note earlier than that.
            I do think that Jack would always have reacted badly to a suggestion of using the army as a means of population control, even before 'The Other Side'.

I agree about Jack, he had the same reaction to what the Eurondans were doing at the time. But perhaps because I immediately drew the comparison, I could also see Mollem's remarks reminding Jack specifically of the Eurondans and how that affair turned out.

sigpic

Comment

I am glad the note helped, and prevented the disaster. I think the note was too vague, why not add just the name to it, like write "Aschen" down too?

The note worked but they got lucky, lucky lucky. I mean finding the underground city under the farm, calling their bluff and avoiding the bioweapon? It was too close, but that makes for a good story. Still, if you are going to send a note back from the future, it should try to cover all the bases, they are altering the timeline anyways by doing that, might as well try to alter it in the way they intend rather than leaving the note open to debate and chance.

One other thing is I think they should have mentioned the 'sterility' thing in front of McKinsey and the President, that way they would have much more to go on than their word. The 'translation' final scene was awesome.

I actually saw this episode before I saw the first one, "2012", and it is much better seeing the first one.

The best foreshadowing was this:

"You'll find we are a very patient people, Ambassador."

Very patient indeed

Comment

Originally posted by shinysign View Post
                The best foreshadowing was this:

"You'll find we are a very patient people, Ambassador."

Very patient indeed
                I really liked that line as well. I saw this before 2010 too, so its significance was lost on me the first time around, but after seeing 2010 that line really stood out.

sigpic

Comment

Good episode but I liked 2010 better .

The Aschen , I just hate them , I can understand Jack being suspicious to them from the beginning.

And Kinsey ,as always the big *******.
                  Oh and remember its O'Neill with two L's.....

Rating : 7 / 10
                  Last edited by balo; 16 April 2009, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Do you think all Aschen are like that, or only the leadership? I wonder if some of their own people are oppressed?

We should go free the slave worlds now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                      Do you think all Aschen are like that, or only the leadership? I wonder if some of their own people are oppressed?

We should go free the slave worlds now.
                      I'd guess not, since the Aschen tend to make people they don't like disapear.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak View Post
                        I like how the episodes within this story arc all are dates.
                        Yes that was nioce. It explains the episode more.
                        Some say that he has only one ear.
                        And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                        All we know is he's called
                        sigpic

Comment

I feel sorry for the ambassador, he is such a nice guy and probably the only one interested in Carter's technobubbles!

It would be better if they bring Kinsey along and left him on the ship or let him 'bang' on the iris when he tried to go through the stargate back to Earth.
                          sigpic
                          Sign by me

Comment

I agree, Dinoman, but I would'nd have banged him on the Iris. I would have sent him to the Black Hole Planet(and later get killed).
                            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Hi, so this is my first post. Hello guys, "long time reader, first time poster"

I allways had this question, what really happened to the aschen.
                              Spoiler:
                              The SGC gave them stargate address for a planet near a black hole, but they had ships.

And we know that they had other planets under a farming regieme so what ever happened to them...?

thanks

RG
                              sigpic

Comment

That was a very emotional ep for me, after the dark ending of 2010 and the previous ep (Between Two Fires - I liked Narim a lot, but TPTB decided to get rid of every Sam's suitor, eh? )

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman View Post
                                It surprised me that they never proposed to go rescue Joe. I'm pretty sure they would have for anyone else. I hope it's because TPTB plan to do something with him and not just to get rid of another one of Carter's suitors, because they've already shown us they could have ended up married and that would have killed the SJ ship Then again, I like Joe way better than Shanahan.
                                Same here. What happened to "leave nobody behind"??
                                Why didn't Joe simply jump down, anyway?
                                I really liked this guy.

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                                I feel sorry for the ambassador, he is such a nice guy and probably the only one interested in Carter's technobubbles!

It would be better if they bring Kinsey along and left him on the ship or let him 'bang' on the iris when he tried to go through the stargate back to Earth.
                                *nod nod*
                                "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                                "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Working...
                                X