No announcement yet.

2001 (510)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't know any other gate address just dial back and forth between their own home planet and the Volian.

I understand your point, but if only one civilization rules on one planet then there is a plenty of space to spread. On the other hand if there is no competition then any progress or evolution will really slow down in peaceful worlds where the Goa'uld was not present. Even if those people were taken away from Earth 2000-10000 years ago, it needs time to raise population to live in every corner of their new home planet. But it is just a scifi show, so maybe I should not worry about such long term problems.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

A lot of reality is sacrificed in the name of story. This story, for example, would never even have existed if the Aschen kept the population away from the Stargate, and our Heroes came out of the gate to find nothing and no one.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
        A lot of reality is sacrificed in the name of story. This story, for example, would never even have existed if the Aschen kept the population away from the Stargate, and our Heroes came out of the gate to find nothing and no one.

Seaboe
        Why, though, would the Aschen have a reason to keep the Volians away from the Stargate? Outsiders weren't (as far as we know) a thing before Sg-1's arrival and it's not like the Volians were a security risk. As far as the Volians were concerned, they were free people who benefited from Aschen help. Restricting their movement on their own planet breaks that illusion.

Comment

They needed some Volians to work on the fields. If I would have been Ashen, then I would have killed the whole population then they don't need any coverup. Aschen settlers could have moved in and now they would have 2 planets just for themselves.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
            They needed some Volians to work on the fields. If I would have been Ashen, then I would have killed the whole population then they don't need any coverup. Aschen settlers could have moved in and now they would have 2 planets just for themselves.
            They turned a gas giant into a star so the Volian homeworld would have more daylight under which to grow more crops. If the Aschen need a whole supercharged farming world to feed their own population back home, they're going to have some pretty big problems if they instead send people to live on that planet and start reproducing at exponential rates in order to populate it with their people.

Imagine if someone in the real world said that X country should just kick the majority of farmers off their farm land so people from the cities could go there and build more cities. That's not sustainable land management.

Comment

It is a good point, but they could have rebuild or resettle the Volian world under their own rules as they want. If a limited number of Aschen settlers can go there they could have planned everything.

Maybe I am overthinking this story. It was still entertaining just the little sceptical me has still had some concerns.

Comment

I was always thinking if Hammond was doubtful about Aschen in the original timeline similarly like Jack or if he believed them as well and only accidentally found something which showed their true intentions. I would guess that both options are valid, what do you think?

Comment

I don't think Hammond had concerns in the original timeline, I think he discovered something after the deal was done.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                  X