Default SGA Syndication debut ratings

Oh, MediaSavant, can you dissect this tidbit from the B&C trade magazine...

On the weekend, four new-to-syndication dramas debuted: Alias premiered at a 2.5, while Smallville and Stargate: Atlantis each opened at 1.7's....

Earth Symbol Re: SGA Syndication debut ratings

I did not know that Atlantis was going to be on in syndication until I was channel surfing Saturday night. Now that I now when and where it is on I will be watching!

Exclamation Re: SGA Syndication debut ratings

I watch both Stargate shows, Alias, Enterprise, and a little bit of Farscape (it was on at Midnight, I watched a little bit then went to bed). However, I didn't know that Smallville was in Syndication

Default Re: SGA Syndication debut ratings

Another trade magazine quote:
    Broadcasting & Cable reported on SGA's syndie debut....

On the weekend, four new-to-syndication dramas debuted: Alias premiered at a
    2.5, while Smallville and Stargate: Atlantis each opened at 1.7's, while Star Trek: Enterprise landed at a 1.2 in what, at the moment, would be the last syndicated debut for that storied franchise.

NOTE: GW reported that Variety said "Additionally, "Alias" preemed at a 2.5 rating, while "Smallville" and "Stargate Atlantis" debuted at a 1.7 and 1.2, respectively."

but TV Week said "The top new off-network one-hour weekly was Buena Vista's "Alias," which hit a 2.5, coming in second in the genre only to King World's "CSI" (4.5). Both Warner Bros.' "Smallville" and Sony's "Stargate: Atlantis" debuted with a 1.7..."

So, 2 out of 3, I suspect SGA came in at 1.7, not 1.2 as reported on the front page of GW....

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by prion
    So, 2 out of 3, I suspect SGA came in at 1.7, not 1.2 as reported on the front page of GW....
    Interesting. I hope we find out for sure which figure was the correct one.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Pining for more Haven, Grimm, and Continuum

I hope the 1.7 is correct, but the execs at SciFi and the syndication network should be happy with whatever they get when they fail to promote a successful show.

Stargate isn't on consistenly in syndication where I live. It constantly gets moved due to football games. I don't even know what time Atlantis is suppoused to air at in this area.

It perturbs me that BSG will get adds on anything that doesn't move, and SGA can't get a basic add on Yahoo. Ugh.

Weird weird. Hopefully the 1.7 is correct, but my impression is that trade magazines usually get their info from Variety, not directly from Nielsen.

Hopefully we'll find out eventually where the error was made. Sci Fi Wire will list the syndi ratings next Wednesday, and hopefully they'll use Nielsen as their source.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Post Re: SGA Syndication debut ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Hopefully we'll find out eventually where the error was made. Sci Fi Wire will list the syndi ratings next Wednesday, and hopefully they'll use Nielsen as their source.
    I think they probably will.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Weird weird. Hopefully the 1.7 is correct, but my impression is that trade magazines usually get their info from Variety, not directly from Nielsen.

The trade magazines get there stuff direct from Nielsen.

I have to get my train to work, but I'll check into this. It's possible *both* numbers are correct.

Syndication can get quoted in two types of ratings--an AA or a GAA.

Explain later. Gotta run.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaSavant
    The trade magazines get there stuff direct from Nielsen.

I have to get my train to work, but I'll check into this. It's possible *both* numbers are correct.

Syndication can get quoted in two types of ratings--an AA or a GAA.

Explain later. Gotta run.
    Thanks!

Although I have no idea how both numbers could be right, but then, this is showbiz....

Major

I checked it out. VARIETY MADE A MISTAKE!

Atlantis got a 1.7 just as the other trade magazine said it did. It was Enterprise that got a 1.2 and I think the writer got confused.

Hopefully Gateworld corrects this and uses one of the other sources.

They also both used the "AA rating". There are two definitions that can be used for syndication ratings. The unique reason is because some markets show the episodes two or three times. The difference between the rating definitions has to do with how they treat people who watch the show twice.

Average Audience ratings estimates for syndication is multiple processed for original and repeat telecasts within the report interval. Duplicated viewing to the same program minute by the same household or person is removed.

Gross Average Audience ratings (GAA) doesn't remove duplicated viewing.

But, Variety's mistake had nothing to do with using one definition while B&C used another. It was just bad information.

I checked it out. VARIETY MADE A MISTAKE!

Atlantis got a 1.7 just as the other trade magazine said it did. It was Enterprise that got a 1.2 and I think the writer got confused.

Hopefully Gateworld corrects this and uses one of the other sources.

They also both used the "AA rating". There are two definitions that can be used for syndication ratings. The unique reason is because some markets show the episodes two or three times. The difference between the rating definitions has to do with how they treat people who watch the show twice.

Average Audience ratings estimates for syndication is multiple processed for original and repeat telecasts within the report interval. Duplicated viewing to the same program minute by the same household or person is removed.

Gross Average Audience ratings (GAA) doesn't remove duplicated viewing.

But, Variety's mistake had nothing to do with using one definition while B&C used another. It was just bad information.

Thanks for the explanation on the GAA and AA stuff, and eek, Variety made a mistake. Well, they're only human. Time to go with the B&C and TelevisionWeek numbers

Which makes me happier anyway

And I didn't even know Enterprise had gone into syndication. Not in my market.

Maybe if they had advertised the show there would have been better ratings. It was by chance I found Atlantis two weeks ago. Another thing that may have been a slight ratings loser was the fact they showed Rising Part 1 twice (at least here in Northern VA). Anyway, I'm glad Atlantis is in syndication, It'll be great to see the first season again!

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer
    Maybe if they had advertised the show there would have been better ratings.
    I saw an ad for it in Entertainment Weekly, but syndicators usually have really small ad budgets. Other than that, it's up to the stations carrying the show to advertise and promote it.

Broadcast Syndication has been dying a slow death ratings-wise for years. Cable keeps gaining in the share of viewing it gets and broadcast is losing. As more channel's get added, the audience gets more fragmented and ratings go down.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Nice to know SGA did better than what was going around.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Variety boned it -- wow!

Thanks, MediaSavant. I'll correct the story at GateWorld.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

I saw an ad for it in Entertainment Weekly, but syndicators usually have really small ad budgets. Other than that, it's up to the stations carrying the show to advertise and promote it.

Broadcast Syndication has been dying a slow death ratings-wise for years. Cable keeps gaining in the share of viewing it gets and broadcast is losing. As more channel's get added, the audience gets more fragmented and ratings go down.
    Boy, ain't that the truth. There are 500 channels and nothing to watch. And they hack up stuff so you lose all the good character development scenes, and let's not get into that drivel called 'reality tv'. It's destroying scripted television.