X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DHARMA decoded (ep 202 spoilers)

Thanks to Carbito, who gave us a link to this photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sh/47719786

I had a good look at the logo found everywhere in episodes 201 and 202. Obviously this is the logo of the corporation behind the mysterious ongoings in the plot.
    After trying to decode the letters DHARMA for a while, i finally stumbled across the name's significance. If you add up the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42, you get 108. You'll find this number in several places in episodes 201 and 202, like graffiti or the counter. If you decode the letters DHARMA using A=1, B=2 etc, you get 4 8 1 18 13 1.
    BUT the letter R is inverted, so it's 4 8 1 81 13 1. Add them up, what do you get? You guessed it, 108

Of course, this gives us MORE hidden significance with no answers whatsoever AS USUAL, but personally i like finding out these things just for the hell of it. It takes effort to weave all those hidden messages into a show the way Lost does, and that alone makes me appreciate it even more.

Oh, and yeah i also realised that the pattern in the logo (all those lines) is suspiciously unsymmetrical and probably encodes yet another message, but i'm not gonna bother with that one, for my sanity's sake.

Your thoughts?

Thats pretty cool. Cant see it making any major significance in the show though. Pretty cool, still.

Comment

Don't know if it matters, but I remembered 108 is a "lucky number" in Chinese Superstition and astrology.

Comment

Where in the show was the number "108"???
        ---Shockwave04----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by shockwave04
          Where in the show was the number "108"???
          episode 8 of season 1. That's all I know.
          sigpic

Comment

That's so much more thought than I put into it. Thanks to several midterms/ papers all I thought was "Hey... maybe they're trying to bring back Dharma and Greg"
            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
              That's so much more thought than I put into it. Thanks to several midterms/ papers all I thought was "Hey... maybe they're trying to bring back Dharma and Greg"
              LOL, funny, I had the same thought myself and several other people i've told that the logo said dharma...
              Spoiler:
              of course, before 203, bloody Australians don't get Lost for a while.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Check this out:

Add up all the bars in the pattern around the swan and you get 36.
                There are three rows in the pattern.

3 X 36 = 108.

I imagine there has to be more, this is too simple. Also, I imagine the swan and the out bar might play into it as well.

\\Greg

Comment

The Symbol Lines around the Dharma Logo when I first saw them reminded me of a chinese prophecy method called I Ching.

I haven't yet gone through the meaning of each sequence but for those who may want to investigate for themselves here is a link all about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_ching

Regards,
                  Simon

Comment

I noticed the Iching thing also I was wondering around the net and stumbled on this website.

http://afpc.asso.fr/wengu/wg/wengu.php?l=Yijing

About halfway down the page there is a pic with all 8 symbols on it and an kind of meaning what they all mean together. Kind of interesting. I love all the little clues the producers of show put into it.

Brad

Comment

I also found a thread talking about the "Connect 4" game Hugo's crazy friend was playing. There are 42 spots in game. The locations on the game correspond with the swan logo. Someone suggested it's a backwards Little Dipper.

Maybe it's a map?

And that beak on the swan looks a little strange as well.

Comment

Just some things that I noticed.

When Jack and Lock are watching the film it starts out by saying:
                        The Dharma Inititative
                        3 of 6
                        Orientation

Then the next scene from the orientation film, which shows us a good look at the Swan symbol:
                        Orientation Station 3

Now if you take the 3 & 6 from the first scene as 36 and times it by the 3 in the second film scene, you get as has been brought out 108.

Also, how many minutes does the button have to be pushed? Isn't it every 108 minutes?

Ok here is something else.

compare that with:

Doesn't the swan almost look like the ying-yang smybol?

Then at that link carnage posted it says that These eight images came to have manifold meanings. They represented certain processes in nature corresponding with their inherent character. Further, they represented a family consisting of father, mother, three sons, and three daughters, not in the mythological sense in which the Greek gods peopled Olympus, but in what might be called an abstract sense, that is, they represented not objective entities but functions

Then it gives a link that talks about what each symbol/image means:

http://www.iging.com/intro/introduc.htm

And one thing I found interesting was an article that a guy wrote, check it out:
                        http://www.egoplex.com/2005/10/orien...ssive-and.html
                        Last edited by Tron; 10 October 2005, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Also, here is Wikipedia's page on the number 108:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_%28number%29

The external link on the bottom might also be worth a look.
                          Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

One of my friends said that the symbol was on the Oceanic 815 plane. Does anyone have the box set and can confirm that?
                            It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

There's another thread here about that. It appears so.
                              Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
                              Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

Working...
                              X