No announcement yet.

The Tomb (508)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually it would have been interesting to have more zigurates in a few later seasons and perhaps have a season or two of babylonians... there was sethe in that one they had, plus osirus got daniels girlfreind, which would have been cool if osirus was somehow linked to the ori, i know thier just similar words not linked mythologically, but it would have been cool to have more background and stuff about cultures etc

Comment

Egyptian mythology is generally the most widely known of Ancient worlds -- on that side of the ocean, at least. And this side too.

I have the biased view that I studied Archaeology for a while, and that my sister is an Assyriologist. We're both very interested in the history of Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, Rome, Greece, from the Stone Age to the Iron Age... actually pretty much up to the industrial revolution.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

3-episode quiz: The Tomb, Between Two Fires & 2001

Jigsaw puzzle: The Tomb

Comment

14/15. 11:59

Comment

Clocking in at 10:35

Comment

I'd rate this a great episode, lots of action, horror, character conflict, and I enjoyed the dialogue. On the commentary, De Louise said Daniel's remark about the dark was an ad-lib. I also liked 'It's 120 in the shade, here.'
              'I didn't see any shade.'
              Actually, the commentary said it was a pretty expensive set, and the actors were always complaining about getting dust in their eyes. I also thought the Russians getting picked off was a bit cliched, but believable. Zhukov's ulterior motives kind of doomed them, and I found no problems with O'Neill's suspicions of the Russians. They simply were good troops, but in the wrong mission. Also, if you're sneaky with O'Neill, it's not a good way to do business. He's got an A-1 sneakymeter.
              Also, in reading the Russian archaelogist's notes, Daniel must be able to read Russian.
              Noticed that Halley, the actress who played the Russian Lieutenant, originally auditioned for Halley in Prodigy. Would she have been better in that? Don't know, but she kind of looked Russian.

I always wonder why Stargate never had Nazis and the gate, since it was discovered by Germans in 1906, and the Russians grabbed it. Or should we say, 'liberated?'We lost a whole story arc there. I'm a writer, and thinking about about a 4th Reich on some distant planet is too good to pass up. Would the Reich ally with the To'kra? If they joined up on a revived Euronda. That would be a two-parter. Too late, now.
              I also liked seeing the Russian general. He's on a lot of Canadian TV, especially as a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                I always wonder why Stargate never had Nazis and the gate, since it was discovered by Germans in 1906, and the Russians grabbed it.
                The Germans discovered the DHD. They didn't have a stargate. That was found by the Langford expedition in 1928.
                And Stargate Origins has a Nazi going rogue.

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

10:00 and 14/15

Comment

A good episode but once again, poor Russians had the bad luck and they were redshirts of this episode. Russians and different SG teams - the usual redshirts of Stargate SG-1.

There were more plotholes but I noticed this: How it could be that the sarcophagus was closed again when SG-1 and the second russian team arrived to the place? The first team let out the creature from it, which means that they had to open the thing.

And when the trap was actived, this poor Russian (Marchenko?) was he trying to slip through the entrance outside or he was trying to hold it for the rest? It was not clear to me.

Comment

The Russian who died was trying to prevent the entrance from closing so that everyone (including his own teammates) could escape.

You may interpret the scene differently.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I was thinking it but I was not sure. Thanks for your confirmation. A noble act, but unfortunately, it cost him his life.

Comment

This is one of the few season 5 episodes that I like.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Jack's prejudice against Russians really get of my nerves.
                              That is one of my biggest pet peeves with Stargate SG-1. O'Neill's unrelenting acrimony towards Russians is an element of this show that has aged poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post

That is one of my biggest pet peeves with Stargate SG-1. O'Neill's unrelenting acrimony towards Russians is an element of this show that has aged poorly.
                                Aged poorly? The point at the time was that he was being bigoted. That bigotry was pointed out by other characters and served as a point of conflict in various episodes, just as many of his black and white, militaristic views led to him butting heads with moral arguments from Daniel and/or others.

It's just as valid today as it was then to write about a bigoted character whose views put him/her at odds with others. Typically, when instances of bigotry in fiction are said to "age poorly," people are talking about characters and depictions that serve as mouthpieces and reflections of a writer's bigotry, which said writer is able to get away with in a particular time because audiences generally agree or do not see a problem with what is being presented to them.

I completely understand people taking issue with how Russians were depicted. Sg-1 writers frequently relied on the same set of tropes to make their characters seem heroic (most everyone dies but them, most everyone is incompetent but them), and that comes off differently when used in a Russian-centric episode as opposed to a NID episode. I think the writers did try to be sensitive to that in various ways that often go overlooked (the exchange between Chekov and O'neill at the end of the episode about "the lives [O'neill was] willing to sacrifice," how Dr. Markov was presented and how she gave voice to Russia's motivations in "Watergate," etc.), but there's certainly a valid debate as to whether they went far enough.

O'neill's attitude toward the Russians, however, was, I thought, handled quite well. It appropriately comes across as a character flaw to me, not as a flawed element in the show's writing.

Comment

Working...
                                X