No announcement yet.

The Tomb (508)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there was an Aussie on Atlantis.
    But it's been a while since I've seen that.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrathraxus View Post
      Speaking of Australians.. was there ever an Australian accent in the show? I cant remember ever hearing one.

This was a great episode. I liked it when the show started out on this political run by including a Russian Team (although I assume in this day and age the Russian team would be a Chinese Team).
      Heck i am surprised we've never really seen the Chineese have an impact, right up to the Sun-Tzu and some members on the IOA..

Comment

Like I stated in my previous post, if this had of been filmed after 2004, The Russian sub would of been the Chinese Sub in Small Victories, the Chinese program in Watergate and so on.

Comment

Like I stated in my previous post, if this had of been filmed after 2004, The Russian sub would of been the Chinese Sub in Small Victories, the Chinese program in Watergate and so on.
          We've had the Russians as movie/TV show protagonists for so long! Seems strange to have others now, how times change lol! This episode came at a time when cold war sentiments were in the process of thawing over the previous 10 years and it was all about a new spirit of openness and collaboration between former enemies.

I think the Russian sub in Small Victories would still have been a Russian sub as it was filmed on an actual cold war era Russian sub that was anchored on the Fraser River in New Westminster (part of Metro Vancouver) as a tourist attraction at the time.

Comment

See I didn't know that about the Russian sub. Thanks for the knowledge share.

All Im really saying is that all the references in the show RE The Russians would of been replaced with the Chinese if the show had started even 5-6 years later

Comment

All Im really saying is that all the references in the show RE The Russians would of been replaced with the Chinese if the show had started even 5-6 years later
              Personally, I doubt it.

Comment

Me too, I'm sure it's better with the Russians involved.
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode.

Of course, Jack is irritated having to bring along another team that he doesn't trust, probably because the Russians were involved with NID.And of course, the Russians here served as the "red shirts" of the episode. But hey, one Russian did survive--yay!

I loved seeing Daniel in his element. It is convenient that Teal'c and Sam can each detect symbiotes now.

Somehow, I missed that Zhukov died when I watched this, and when I heard the Russian General say that only one of the Russian team survived, I was like,"What?" I had to watch the grenade scene again.

That creature a bit freaky. Talk about a horrible death!

O'Neill and Zukhov aiming their guns at each other was funny, as was Daniel's "Yes. You go down the dark hallway alone, and I'll wait here in a dark room alone."

I rate this as very good.

Comment

Ah, the classic 'let's lock our heroes in a ziggurat, put a scary creature in there, picking them off one by one and leave them to figure their way out'. Of course, the problem with this classic tale is that they actually need someone to pick off because no way they're gonna let the creature eat our heroes -- cue the Russian red shirts!

The Tomb is pretty straighforward, and I imagine very low cost to make from the CGI at the beginning. The set was certainly a masterpiece and I applaud the builders to at least grasp the feel of a ziggurat as opposed to an Egyptian pyramid. Which, btw, I'm very happy about too that they divert from Egyptian mythology and instead dive into Mesopotamian mythology with Marduk.

The story of Marduk's ending did sound eerily familiar to Imhotep's ending of being mummified alive and locked in a sarcophagus with the beetles (re: The Mummy). In this case, we get an interesting creature (-- again props to creature creators). However, one thing I felt seemed off, with the creature I mean, is when it emerges from its cocoon it seems to have two front paws like that of a crab, but when it falls dead on the ground at Carter and Teal'c's feet, there's no sign of those front paws.

In any case, it's an okay story with some good team moments, and in the end they loose the Russians and the Eye of Tiamat. Seemed like a bit of a waste but hey, it was supposed to be a rescue mission.

For anyone interested who Tiamat was in relation to Marduk in Ancient Babylonian mythology:

In the religion of ancient Babylon, Tiamat (Akkadian: DTI.AMAT or DTAM.TUM, Greek: ??????? Thalátt?) is a primordial goddess of the salt sea, mating with Abzû, the god of fresh water, to produce younger gods. She is the symbol of the chaos of primordial creation. She is referred to as a woman, and described as the glistening one. It is suggested that there are two parts to the Tiamat mythos, the first in which Tiamat is a creator goddess, through a sacred marriage between salt and fresh water, peacefully creating the cosmos through successive generations. In the second Tiamat is considered the monstrous embodiment of primordial chaos. Some sources identify her with images of a sea serpent or dragon.

In the Enûma Elish, the Babylonian epic of creation, she gives birth to the first generation of deities; her husband, Apsu, correctly assuming they are planning to kill him and usurp his throne, later makes war upon them and is killed. Enraged, she, too, wars upon her husband's murderers, taking on the form of a massive sea dragon, she is then slain by Enki's son, the storm-god Marduk, but not before she had brought forth the monsters of the Mesopotamian pantheon, including the first dragons, whose bodies she filled with "poison instead of blood". Marduk then forms heavens and the earth from her divided body.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Tomb?"

Excellent
                    Good
                    Fair
                    Poor
                    Terrible

Comment

Actually FH, the DVDs special features say the ziggurat is a redress of the Hataks sets
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

So basically, Tiamat is a beautiful glistening woman goddess, until the kiddos kill her man, so she turns to a dragon? Interesting way for her kids to remember her- dividing her to make the heavens and earth. Moral of the story-- don't kill dad, kids!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Actually FH, the DVDs special features say the ziggurat is a redress of the Hataks sets
                          I remember, but it still has the feel of a ziggurat.

Here's an actual ziggurat -- it has that feeling so the set wins.

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                          So basically, Tiamat is a beautiful glistening woman goddess, until the kiddos kill her man, so she turns to a dragon? Interesting way for her kids to remember her- dividing her to make the heavens and earth. Moral of the story-- don't kill dad, kids!
                          Creation myths are bloody fascinating that way.

Osiris too got killed by his brother Seth, after which Isis impregnated herself and created Horus, who in turn killed Seth.
                          It's a recurring theme, even outside of creation myths.

Comment

It must be tiring being a mythical god.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                              It must be tiring being a mythical god.
                              Meh.. Osiris became the god of the underworld. His career went south but it was a good south.

Comment

Not my favorite to be honest. Jack's prejudice against Russians really get of my nerves. Something that is prevelent. A lot of the reason the rescue mission went badly was how poorly the two colonels acted. I wished we had more insight into the Goa'uld and the creature and less bickering. Ill give it a fair because im feeling generous
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X