Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Message (113)

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    I've seen this episode countless number of times and I still jump every single time...
    It's one of my favourites.
    I jump every time I see it too!

This is an awesome episode. The final scene is so emotional, I almost cried the first time I saw it.

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
    "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
    My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Lily
    I've seen this episode countless number of times and I still jump every single time...
    It's one of my favourites.
    i jump as well. i have to say that i loved the series, very glad that i bought the dvds

Quote Originally Posted by Spacegirlnz
    I jump every time I see it too!

This is an awesome episode. The final scene is so emotional, I almost cried the first time I saw it.
    Me too! I loved it.....

Listened to the commentary today, gotta love Alan and Jewel.

Alan and Jewel are great for the commentary. Personally this is my favourite episode, just beating War Stories, it just has everything IMO and is the episode I would use to say "This is why people love this show". The final scene is brilliant, and if I watch all of the episodes, I leave this until last, as it should have been, and end it with the funeral scene. Love the outtakes for this as well, when they turn to look at the crew standing around the coffin, and Nathan moves to be in every shot, then he hugs the "corpsified" Jonathan Woodward
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Quote Originally Posted by PtahTheCreationGod
    Alan and Jewel are great for the commentary. Personally this is my favourite episode, just beating War Stories, it just has everything IMO and is the episode I would use to say "This is why people love this show". The final scene is brilliant, and if I watch all of the episodes, I leave this until last, as it should have been, and end it with the funeral scene. Love the outtakes for this as well, when they turn to look at the crew standing around the coffin, and Nathan moves to be in every shot, then he hugs the "corpsified" Jonathan Woodward
    I love that scene where they stand around the coffin listening to the recording- I also love how it was repeated throughout the show. A great piece of voicework there by Jonathan Woodward, the emotion was perfect.

Major General

Listening to the recording the first time I had to stop and listen to part of it again, the part when he said he wanted to be taken back to his parents on St Albans, made me laugh because I was living in St Albans at the time! (the town, not the planet)

It made me jump too, the first few times I saw it, but I think I've seen it too many times now

Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar

Good ep liked the Simon Kaylee scene in the beginning and how they held hands at the end. It was a dark ep very powerful.

My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Cool episode. Especially about the guy not being dead after all. Creeped me out! But some pretty impressive flying by Wash!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Cool episode. Especially about the guy not being dead after all. Creeped me out! But some pretty impressive flying by Wash!
    The Message is easily my favorite episode of Firefly. It's not a coincidence that it's also the darkest. I do like the hard-hitting stuff.

Trace's flashbacks with Mal and Zoe were wonderful and really built up an interesting dynamic with the two of them. One of my favorite things about this episode is that Trace never got his life together after the war. A lot of people go through something big and traumatic while others might look on and wonder when they're going to bounce back. Trace never did, which lead to some very questionable choices later.

My other favorite part about this episode is the haunting soundtrack. The mournful piano and violins made this episode's soundtrack the most memorable of the entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    i did not like this epsiode.
    It's my least favorite Firefly episode. There are some great lines (but that's pretty much every Firefly episode), and Jayne's hat is all sorts of awesome, but I cannot stand the Tracey character, or the actor who plays him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacegirlnz View Post
    I love Jayne's hat I have one, but not in orange *cry*
    I have one. A friend of mine who knits made me one. It's pretty much the only reason I am even remotely looking forward to winter, so I can wear it.

Watched this episode for the first time yesterday, enjoyed it but thought there was a gaping hole in the middle - why didn't Mal explain what their plan was? If he had explained it, they could have avoided killing their friend. Why did they just leave him thinking they were betrayers? It didn't seem to quite fit that they wouldn't try to talk him down, letting him know their plan to avoid people - anyone - dying.
    "Wøøf!"