• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War Stories (111)

Visit the Episode GuideFIREFLY SEASON ONE
    WAR STORIES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 111

The crew takes extreme measures after Mal and Wash are kidnapped by Niska, a psychopathic crime lord with a fondness for torture, during an ordinary mission to sell cargo.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 18 October 2012, 02:39 PM.

This episode was really disturbing! I thought it was great, and the torture scenes were necessary to the plot, but still disturbing. It was touching in a creepy sort of way how Wash and Mal kept each other from succumbing to the torture by arguing, since I know Mal was just trying to keep him angry so he would focus.

My favorite scene:

Zoë: Wait. This is something the Captain needs to do himself.

Mal: No I don't!

Zoë: Oh...(boom, boom, boom)

Also the "your husband has demanded we have sex" scene was priceless!
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
      This episode was really disturbing! I thought it was great, and the torture scenes were necessary to the plot, but still disturbing. It was touching in a creepy sort of way how Wash and Mal kept each other from succumbing to the torture by arguing, since I know Mal was just trying to keep him angry so he would focus.

My favorite scene:

Zoë: Wait. This is something the Captain needs to do himself.

Mal: No I don't!

Zoë: Oh...(boom, boom, boom)

Also the "your husband has demanded we have sex" scene was priceless!
      Right...that's what he was doing, helping him focus.... Also, I reckon that's one of the best scene in that show, takes the Cliche out of it aswell! I despise Cliches by the way...

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

lol! i loved that last few scenes...i mean, no matter how hard Mal tried...he couldn't kiss Zoe then Wash grabs Zoe and says 'we will be in our bunk'
        sigpic

Comment

This is definitely one of my favourite episodes... I'm not big on torture and Niska gives me the heebie jeebies but it's a tribute to the show's storytelling ability that I can be made to laugh when two of my favourite characters in the show are being brutally electrocuted....

I love the interaction between Simon and Book in the beginning... Simon's penchant for the ironic really gives the character much needed guts. "I'm thinking about growing a moustache. I'm a traditionalist." It's interesting that he has trouble talking to Kaylee but there's that hidden wit that emerges from time to time.

I liked the fact that we got some great Wash/Zoe moments. It made a lot of sense to me that Wash must occasionally have some question marks about his relationship with Zoe especially when "there's obeying going on under his nose." But that awkward tango between Mal and Zoe at the end was classic stuff...

But my most favourite moment in the episode was when Mal was tussling with Viktor and Zoe says to others, "This is something the Captain has to do for himself." And then Mal shouts out a definitive, "No, I don't." It was a laugh out loud moment... a brilliant attempt at humour where a cliché is normally heard. The first time I saw this episode, I just about died laughing.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

See? this is why i like Joss Whedons work so much, kill cliches so much!

I hate cliches!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

That scene with River taking the 3 guys out with 3 shots with the Desert Eagle - great stuff. Not only was it a well shot scene, it showed a whole new side of River which we'd never seen before. Great stuff

Oh, and Jayne's reaction to Inara and the Councilor was priceless
              Last edited by Agent_Dark; 29 October 2005, 05:48 AM.

Comment

fab episode. jayne makes me laugh. the torture scenes were a bit creepy for me. but i liked the end scene when mal talks to zoe- very funny.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                  fab episode. jayne makes me laugh. the torture scenes were a bit creepy for me. but i liked the end scene when mal talks to zoe- very funny.
                  That cracks me up everytime.....

Comment

I really want to know how Sheppard is so good with a gun!
                    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                      I really want to know how Sheppard is so good with a gun!
                      Ohhh, yeah, same here...

Now we'll never know, life isn't fair.
                      sigpic
                      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

The Shepherd said why.

They had rabbits at the Abbey.

Rabbits.

Comment

yeah sheppard is very good with a gun and that did surprise me the first time i saw the episode.
                          sigpic
                          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

If you guys have the DVDs you should really listen to the commentary with Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk on this episode. It's hilarious!
                            sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

I agree, the commentaries are excellent. I always have them on in the background while working on the laptop.
                              Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Working...
                              X