No announcement yet.

Serenity, Part 1 (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome ep, I nearly cried when Mal said that Kaylee died and also when River was thawed out. Simon and River were played beautifully.

Comment

I dont know what Fox were thinking. This episode was a brilliant intro, and had enough action and stuff to get fans hooked. Love Firefly
      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

This is the first Firefly episode I've ever seen

And it was seriously awesome!

It's rare that you see space being done so incredibly well in sci-fi, with realistc newtonian physics and lack of sound in a vaccum. And the artificial gravity, which should have been a weak point, was treated very well too, being switched on as just another part of life support, rather than been taken for granted - for once a derelict where artificial gravity wasn't still functioning completely normally!

And the Serenity itself looked very lived-in and functional, like something that would really fly, and that you could really live in. The machinery that keeps it aloft looks dirty, and gritty, and believable, in contrast to the immaculately sterile ships usually seen in sci-fi.

This episode was the perfect introduction to the setting of Firefly, the culture and the characters.
        Last edited by Wraith Scientist; 22 September 2006, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
          This is the first Firefly episode I've ever seen

And it was seriously awesome!

This episode was the perfect introduction to the setting of Firefly, the culture and the characters.
          i agree, i really liked this episode, and the rest of the season is just as good

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
            where artificial gravity wasn't still functioning completely normally!

And the Serenity itself looked very lived-in and functional, like something that would really fly, and that you could really live in. The machinery that keeps it aloft looks dirty, and gritty, and believable, in contrast to the immaculately sterile ships usually seen in sci-fi.
            Thats what happens when you actually build the ship, you get a level of realism that can't be beaten.

I have to say, having rewatched this for about the 10th time, it never gets old, the first couple of minutes are some of the best in sci-fi, and they set up Mal's character perfectly, I mean, the look in his eyes when he realises that his efforts and faith were for nothing, its just acting at its very best. Theres only one way to make this ep better, watch it back to back with Part Two

9/10 (bumped up to a 10/10 when combined by Part 2)
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Here's a music video using clips from the Serenity pilot (parts 1 & 2)
              Enjoy:-)

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/fireflyvid/

Comment

Ok so i have finally got to around to borrowing the Firefly DVD from my friend. So far i have only wtached the 1rst few episodes and well.... I LOVE THEM!

Watching the 1rst episode was strange since i watched the film 1rst there4 the changes made semed strange when viewed the other way around. I was also exspecting more of the Crew being gathered and seeing them all met. However looking at the DVD book it happens in a latter episode.

Overall a great show with excellent characters and CGI.
                sigpic
                Banner Made By Me for Me
                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

OMG I finally just saw this WOW this show is awesome. This was a great beginning. I see what everyone was talking about and this was just from 1 ep.
                  sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                    OMG I finally just saw this WOW this show is awesome. This was a great beginning. I see what everyone was talking about and this was just from 1 ep.
                    i know what u mean. i also just started watching the show. love it a lot i like all the of character so far especially Mal, he doesn't mess around

Comment

doing a rewatch and I have to say it is even better the 2nd time around.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
                        doing a rewatch and I have to say it is even better the 2nd time around.
                        I agree. I'm starting my third time through one of these days and am looking forward to the wealth of great character interactions. Firefly had one of the best casts on a TV show that I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.
                        sigpic
                        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Yesterday i have started to look Firefly... and i love it .
                          The Westernstyle mixed with SciFi is terrific.

At the beginning where the guys are recover the "nugget" i loved it to see the enormous big ships. The moment where the camera is going away from the crew...

The best scene of the first plot was the moment where they guys are eating and the mechanic is talking with the doc.
                          Jayne Cobb says: "She wish that the doc is a gynaecologist"... wet... . Very funny. The hard guy with (i think) mild hearth. I dont't know, but i think he is loving the mechanist, istn't he?

Comment

i found it yesterday during a marathon. I have the dvd's but never had time to watch them. but I do like this show. quirks and silliness that just zooms into angst and gobsmack moments
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I watched the first five mins of this ep yesterday and I think I'm gonna like this series!
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
                              'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
                              : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
                              I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                              Indeed

Comment

I really enjoyed this one, I'm already sad there's only 14 episodes + a movie...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X